Aspire Housing association - failing in their duty of care?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A couple of years ago we lost our house due to ill health, we sold the house to a housing association so we could still live in it, as we liked the area. Thrilled to have a house in a popular area the HA snapped it up and promised to help us, and look after the house, so we'd have no worries except rent.

They did some modernisation, including double glazing that apparently amplifies noise from outside, and redoing the kitchen floor and a new roof.

About 6 months later, we noticed damp patches on my son's bedroom wall. Both he and my wife are asthmatic, so damp is a real issue. I called the H.A. and explained the problem. 2 weeks layer, they go on the roof and say the flashing is damaged. They redo it.

About 6 months later again, the damp patch is still there, having faded a bit, it seems to be spreading. So I called again. 2 weeks later, new flashing.

3 months on, still damp patches with a bit of mould too. I call again, 2 weeks later someone comes out and once again claims it's flashing. I explained it's been replaced 3 times, if you include the new roof fitting. 'Oh right' he says, well see what we can do, leave it with me.

3 months later, I heard nothing. Damp is spreading.

A month later, I called them. Recent rain had made it worse. Don't worry I'm told, it's being looked In to.

A month later, still nothing. I called again. After 2 weeks of passing messages, I eventually got a date for yet more new flashing... despite there clearly being a bigger issue. It would be in 7 weeks.

4 days before work is due, the scaffolder turns up asking for permission to put some In the neighbours garden too. They're at work, so i ask that evening and tell the H.A. in the morning that it's done and it's OK. I do this in the office, the woman I told this to phones the head of the works team whilst I'm there and confirms it's ok. 3 days pass, no scaffolding. I call to complain and am told it will be up in the morning. First thing in the morning, sitting having breakfast in the front room when a card is shoved through. From the roofer, that says "no scaffold, no access" I run out, to try and talk to him about the scaffolding. He sees me, shrugs, smiles and drives off.

I've called the H.A. today, but can't get through to who I need because as is common he's worked a half day.

During this time, I've also explained that my son's wall is ruined. It has wallpaper that is peeling off, along with plaster, behind which is damp uneven wall. It needs work doing on. I was told the best they could do was a 25 pound voucher for paint to tidy it up. If I paint that wall, the paper will be too heavy and will fall. He'll, if I tap that wall you can hear it crumble behind the paper and fall. It has a main solid wall (uneven and damp as it is) but the plastered front layer is totally wrecked.

When this complaint started my son was an asthmatic 3 year old, just about to turn 4. He's 6 now and they've shown no care. During damp weather he has to share our bed (I take his) to make sure he's not in the room where the issue is whenever it gets bad, which this summer has been quite frequently

So where do I stand? Can I do anything besides complain to them and ask them to please hurry up time and time again?

http://www.aspirehousing.co.uk/uresources/wysiwyg/files/Repairs%20Maintenance%20and%20Improvements%20Policy.pdf

Who is your local authority too?

Have you contacted your local MP regarding this?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

http://www.aspirehousing.co.uk/uresources/wysiwyg/files/Repairs%20Maintenance%20and%20Improvements%20Policy.pdf

Who is your local authority too?

Have you contacted your local MP regarding this?

Local authority is Newcastle under Lyme.

Not contacted an MP, never really thought about that. I suffer hugely with anxiety. So involving more third parties and having to go through stuff with them is something I'd try and avoid unless it's highly recommended.

I just wanted to know what my best options are, as I intend to go to their offices tomorrow and tell them my plan of action, as their action plans never seem to happen

Well TBH, if you're going to go into their offices, then take the name of your local MP with you, and tell them that not only will you be referring the matter to them, but you will involve your LA and have them intervene.

There is also the LGO who will take up your complaint, http://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint/fact-sheets/housing/which-ombudsman-for-complaints-about-social-housing

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi

Well it is interesting that Aspire seems to class Complaints as Feedback: http://www.aspirehousing.co.uk/Contact_Us/Give_us_Feedback/What_is_Feedback/S167T52P556

Now what I would do I write another letter heading it FORMAL COMPLAINT and ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office (you now want to keep a good paper trail)

In the letter give a brief outline of your complaint (as you have done here) and also ask for copies of the following documents:

1. Complaints Procedure

2. Customer Care Standards

3. Repairs and Maintenance Policy

4. Right to Repair.

5. Aspire Housings Insurance Companies Details.

Now the angle I would go for is since the modernisation work of the Windows and Roof was done this issue has arisen and has still not been fully resolved nor fully investigated properly by Aspire to get to the root of the issue and resolve the matter due to the numerous repairs.

You also require clarification if the contractor that carried out these roof repairs was the contractor employed by Aspire to Fit the New Roof.

Exhaust there Complaints Procedure to the end and if you are still unhappy you can then escalate this with the Housing Ombudsman Service: http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group