Eos Solutions chasing EDF debt for address I've never lived in

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Please can somebody help me. I am new to this forum and feeling rather desperate and anxious.

I have received a 2nd (and final) debt recovery letter from Eos Solutions who are collecting a debt for EDF Energy for a supply address that I have never ever lived at. The supply dates for the supply address are from May 2014- May 2016. My address that I've lived in for over 10 years is very similar to the debt/ supply address except I live in a street, the debt supply address was in a block of flats.

I called Edf Energy last week to explain the situation and also that the supply adress for which they are owed the debt from no longer exists. The block of flats went into demolition last summer, so it baffles me who they supplied energy to after the summer as there was no flat in existance. They seem very reluctant to help me; 1. I don't have a customer reference number to quote them (I've never been a customer of them), 2. The only way they can help me is if I give them my name and other details which I was not willing to do so. They have the necaessary information to find out who lived at their supply address and pass on the correct details to Eos Solutions but it seems that they don't care as long as they get their money back.

So in short, I'm being chased for money for a supply address that I've never lived in nor ever been supplied energy by Edf. How do I tell Eos Solutions that the addressee and address do not match the supply address and that they need to stop hassling me for money?

I do not owe anyone any money, never even owned a credit card in my life .

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I'm really scared that they will now come knocking on my door demanding money or removing things from my house. Should I call them or is it better to write to them?

Thank you

They are not bailiffs ignore EOS

They are a DCA.. No powers whatsoever

Person I'd ignore them

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have called the energy ombudsman who advised I call Edf but they were so unhelpful, I called the ombudsman back who advised me to call CAB for legal advice.

I now have to write a letter to edf challenging them on the contract that has been used to use my name on this account. (Something along those lines).

How should I write out the letter? Shoukd I state the obvious that my address is not the same as the supply address for which the want debt recovery?

So confused and this is really stressing me out. More advice, again, greatly appreciated.

Thanks to those who've replied.

Can you prove via say ctax bill or other tenancy etc that you were living elsewhere at the time?

If you have then quite honestly I'd forget about it

As long your credit file has not been trashed

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you credit file is clear

Ignore them

That's all a dca can do...annoy

and they

Hello Shellybee,

The Energy Ombudsman can be as much use as a chocolate teapot at times, but I do think they are right to advise you to contact EDF.

Yes, state the obvious about the fact that your address and the supply address are not the same and also point out that you have never been a customer of theirs. Did EOS make reference to the supply address in their letter and still end up sending it to your address or is that something you learnt after contacting them or EDF? If you are prepared to send copies of your proof of living elsewhere, this would be a good time to send them.

Make sure you state that the letter is a formal complaint. I would be inclined to send it recorded delivery so they have no excuses for not answering. Not sure what EDF's complaints policy is like, but it's normally a case of you have to wait up to 8 weeks for a reply before the Ombudsman will look again for you.

In the meantime, EOS might hound you further but continue to ignore them and communicate with EDF - it's up to them to prove you owe the debt.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Good Sister.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

No need to send it recorded delivery, 'proof of posting' is all you need.

It's a freepost address anyhow.

You can even do live chat..... https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/making-complaint

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Shelleybee

the time has come to hit EDF hard.

They are putting you through hell through their ineptitude.

This is a very serious matter for them since as you have never been a customer of theirs

they have never had permission to process your data and certainly not to pass on your info to EOS.

The ICO is the government department that handles breaches of the Data Protection Act and on their website they provide a very helpful template letter you can send-

[Your full address]

[Phone number]

[The date]

[Name and address of the organisation]

[Reference number (if provided within the initial response)]

Dear [sir or Madam / name of the person you have been in contact with]

Information rights concern

[Your full name and address and any other details such as account number to help identify you]

I am concerned that you have not handled my personal information properly.

[Give details of your concern, explaining clearly and simply what has happened and, where appropriate, the effect it has had on you.]

You have never been a customer of theirs so they have breached The Data Protection Act Principle 1

"Data should be processed lawfully and fairly"

-it cannot be when you have never been a customer.

Principle 4 states that "Data should be accurate and up to date"

you told them that their info was wrong yet they and Eos are still pursuing you without seemingly investigating properly.

And then of course Breaches of Principle 6

" Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act."

-2 items in particular

a] a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing damage or distress; and

b] a right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed;

it follows on from that that you are then entitled to a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Act.

I understand that before reporting my concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) I should give you the chance to deal with it [you can add "yet again".]

If, when I receive your response, I would still like to report my concern to the ICO, I will give them a copy of it to consider.

You can find guidance on your obligations under information rights legislation on the ICO’s website (www.ico.org.uk) as well as information on their regulatory powers and the action they can take.

Please send a full response within 28 calendar days. If you cannot respond within that timescale, please tell me when you will be able to respond.

If there is anything you would like to discuss, please contact me by email .

Yours faithfully

[signature]

Raising a concern template letter

For the public

Word (22.86K)

They are also guilty of breaches of Principles 2 &3-you can read them all here -https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/ which is the ICO's website.

I would n't send them any proof you have already complained to them and they have no records of you being a customer of theirs so there is no reason for them to be chasing you. It is now up to them to prove you are the person they think owes them money.

One more thing-please check with the Credit Reference agencies to see if EDF have reported you to any of them.

If they have trashed your credit file with a default, it's the ICO straight away as it isn't your debt, you should also then inform the Credit Reference Agencies the info is wrong. Time to clobber EoN imho. Might be worth going to BBC Watchdog.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

[Your full address]

[Phone number]

[The date]

[Name and address of the organisation]

[Reference number (if provided within the initial response)]

Dear [sir or Madam / name of the person you have been in contact with]

Information rights concern

[Your full name and address and any other details such as account number to help identify you]

I am concerned that you have not handled my personal information properly.

[Give details of your concern, explaining clearly and simply what has happened and, where appropriate, the effect it has had on you.]

You have never been a customer of theirs so they have breached The Data Protection Act Principle 1

"Data should be processed lawfully and fairly"

-it cannot be when you have never been a customer.

Principle 4 states that "Data should be accurate and up to date"

you told them that their info was wrong yet they and Eos are still pursuing you without seemingly investigating properly.

And then of course Breaches of Principle 6

" Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act."

-2 items in particular

a] a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing damage or distress; and

b] a right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed;

it follows on from that that you are then entitled to a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Act.

I understand that before reporting my concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) I should give you the chance to deal with it [you can add "yet again".]

If, when I receive your response, I would still like to report my concern to the ICO, I will give them a copy of it to consider.

You can find guidance on your obligations under information rights legislation on the ICO’s website (www.ico.org.uk) as well as information on their regulatory powers and the action they can take.

Please send a full response within 28 calendar days. If you cannot respond within that timescale, please tell me when you will be able to respond.

If there is anything you would like to discuss, please contact me by email .

Yours faithfully

[signature]

Raising a concern template letter

For the public

Word (22.86K)

Have you got the link for this template?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!