work ethics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

i started working for a company

i was hired as a Instructor Examiner to deliver Reach and Counter balance fork lift truck.

at the interview i was told about the SUD (Safe Urban Driving) course and asked if i would be interested in learning the skill so as to deliver the course for the company.

i was also told that there would be a wage rise for each new course that i could teach.

up to a maximum of £25.000.00 P/Y.

8 months down the line i was asked by the office staff i could run a Scissor lift course

i said yes. and told her that my certificate was on file.

i then went on to deliver that course.

Two weeks later the same thing except it was for the POET truck, again i could run the course .

i then run a POET truck course,

i asked for a wage rise to compensate for the new courses i know i would be running them again.

i was told that i would get a wage increase for the SUD course, but not for the Scissor lift or POET truck.

i said the best thing is that i dont run the two courses as im not being paid for the new skills..

They replied with..

Following your comments regarding the type of work that you want to be deployed on as an employed salaried instructor for The company ,

we feel it is important to highlight the key points below:

· All salaried instructors are employed on National Contracts

· Skills sets are deemed as FLT, LGV, ALLMI, SUD, First Aid, Group DCPC etc.

Most of our employed and subcontract instructors deliver a range of MHE courses under ITSSAR with others that only hold RTITB delivering under that accreditation.

In addition to this various in-house certified courses such as Banksman are delivered by most of our instructors.

To fulfil our commitments to customer requirements we cannot accept instructors dictating which type of training courses they will deliver on behalf of xxx.

You are still required therefore to deliver the range of courses you are deployed on.

To reiterate as in my previous email we have a commitment to upskill you to ensure a DQC is achieved by the end of 2016 and this in financial terms is substantial.

After reflection on the points raised we would hope that you understand and accept your responsibilities.

Whilst I await your acknowledgement of this email I have requested Rosie to ignore your email to her in relation to your desired course selection..

.. im not sure but i dont think they can force me to use my own personal skills for free,

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you.

how long have you worked there, are you permanent staff or sub contracted, and what do you have in writing about pay rises?

they can't force you to do anything, but you may find there is suddenly little work for you, with a resultant layoff.

are you in a union?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

HI, Thank you

. i started working for this company in December 2015 when i did the SUD course for them,

i am permanent full time staff. I do have a contract which says ..your salary will be reviewed annually and may be increased from time to time at the company'e discretion without affecting the other terms of your employment. there is no obligation to award an increase.

there is no union here.

the hole conversation was done by email, so i have proof of what he is saying,

Sadly none of that helps your case.

If it is discretionary in the contract, I think you would be hard pushed to make demands. To be bloody minded they could make your pay rise a pound per new course.

I'd say their response makes the position pretty clear. Also, with less than 2 years employment, they can let you go for any reason not related to a protected characteristic.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

if you are busy doing courses on say scissor lifts then you are not available to run courses on fork lifts. Unless they expect you to work extra time or do preparation work in your own time I see it as the compnay can utilise those skills you have within the time you are employed. their choice really, there are a limited number of hours in a day so where they gain in one area they lose in another. If you are under time pressures then you should dicuss this and force the company to make a decision on priorities but other than that be grateful they value you expertise.

However, if the going rate for instructors for the differing types of equipment is vastly different then you should consider what benchmark they use regards salary for the highest paid instructor skill and say that you wish to be considered as that for evaluation purposes.

Your job is to be an instructor. I think the employer is perfectly entitled to ask you to deliver any training which you are competent to provide, and to send you on training courses from time to time.

I don't see why getting training should entitle you to receive a pay rise, unless it means you are required to work outside your additional hours.

Personally, I agree with the employer that an employed instructor should be providing courses according to demand. I don't see how they can accept an instructor deciding what courses he wants to run and which he doesn't want to run within his contracted hours.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS