contracted hours, equal opportunities or racial discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been working at my current employment since may 2014 on a 17hr contract but always worked 30+hrs eventually last year I was taken up to a 35hr contract n then I'd been working 40+hrs. We now have a new boss/owner of the shop who always wants to cut the staffs hours down as he says it is over the shops working hours. He got rid of 2 members of staff who were still under probationary period claiming they no longer had the hours available for them and we also lost another member due to not being flexible thru childcare 9-2 were her available hours.

My hours have now been dropped to 25hrs despite still being on a 35hr contract and he has now bought in his girlfriend to work in the shop aswell (after cutting all our hours) who can only work 9:30-2:30 due to childcare!! She doesn't have to work during half terms or any time that the kids have broken up from school!! How is this fair? Or equal opportunities?? The males in the store are made to work alone and despite only seeing their children once every 2 weeks on a weekend are still made to work those weekends being told childcare is not his problem to work around!! He has also made remarks about us english should have the same work ethic as him (indian)Is there anything I can do about any of this as the shop managers and supervisors just roll on their back and agree to it all. (They've still kept their contracted hours) I know it's a bit lengthy but appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

Record his racist discrimination and file alongside the evidence that you can collect about the hours.

If you have a 35h contract he needs to give you work for 35h, if he permanently cuts it that's his problem, he still needs to pay you 35h.

Regarding childcare, he needs to show that there's no alternative when refusing flexible hours.

This guy needs to be taken to employment tribunal.

Sc@mbag!

I would start by showing him a copy of your contract and asking for backpay for the weeks you have done 25 hours; see where it goes from there.

Is this a small business or part of a national chain where central HR may help?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It's a small business but he apparently has other stores aswell. He's basically running it for his brother who actually owns the store

That makes it a lot more difficult to enforce the law :/

I might be inclined to find a new job then go through small claims court for back pay....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Unfortunately the law only cares if you have a "protected characteristic" - that means brown/black/female/gay. You are in the unusual position that your employer is "brown" therefore no one gives a **** because it's impossible for a non pregnant white person to ever be discriminated against.

Suck it up and contact your MP.

It's only going to get worse.

Unfortunately the law only cares if you have a "protected characteristic" - that means brown/black/female/gay. You are in the unusual position that your employer is "brown" therefore no one gives a **** because it's impossible for a non pregnant white person to ever be discriminated against.

Disagree

Racial Discrimination works both ways but often goes unreported and the assumption is that the law only applies where minorities are suffering a detriment. If, and it is an 'If' the OP can record and evidence that the employer is treating English workers differently to Indian workers then it is every bit as actionable as it would be if the boot was on the other foot, however simply saying that Indians have a different work ethic is not sufficient on it's own to prove discrimination.

As stated above, you need to go to the employer with your contract and ask for the pay owed for the difference between your contracted hours and those that you are working. What you have suffered is a breach of contract and an unlawful deduction of wages unless you have agreed in writing to the reduction in hours. You can put this in writing as a Letter Before Claim and then take action through a Tribunal or Small Claims court to recover what you are owed

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!