Ring claim query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi still fighting had an email from the insurance last week to say they could sort out a replacement ring with the original seller seeing as I believe the lost ring to be genuine and that I trusted the seller which I do. I've had the ear rings valued that I purchased from him and the valuation was not far off the valuation I got from the seller originally. The insurance today have offered a settlement figure of 500 pounds which they state should cover the cost of replacement with the seller. I've flatly rejected the offer as they expect me to go back to the seller to obtain a new ring to which there is no guarantee I will get a like for like replacement. I also said should is not would replace the ring when it came to the settlement figure, are these people just dragging this out for the fun of it as my the better half wants another ring sharpish. Thanks PM

They could have you there, the policy probably states that they will repair, replace or cash settle - they will decide.

So if they go to the seller direct, they have replaced the item, through a seller you are stating you believe to be providing a true valuation.

*** I'll need a bit of help here I'm thinking aloud, help me out guys**

However by doing this, does this then mean that they accept the valuation to be true ??? - in return potentially opening up a world of hassle where they could replace through your seller - you in return get a valuation which states it is worth less than what is quoted, they then have to replace with a full value item as they are accepting it *should* be worth more??

Get what I mean?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi still fighting had an email from the insurance last week to say they could sort out a replacement ring with the original seller seeing as I believe the lost ring to be genuine and that I trusted the seller which I do. I've had the ear rings valued that I purchased from him and the valuation was not far off the valuation I got from the seller originally. The insurance today have offered a settlement figure of 500 pounds which they state should cover the cost of replacement with the seller. I've flatly rejected the offer as they expect me to go back to the seller to obtain a new ring to which there is no guarantee I will get a like for like replacement. I also said should is not would replace the ring when it came to the settlement figure, are these people just dragging this out for the fun of it as my the better half wants another ring sharpish. Thanks PM

So why don't you contact the online seller with details of the original ring you bought and explain what your Insurers are suggesting. Get them to confirm they can replace your ring like for like for the £500 the Insurers are offering or what the current replacement cost is.

That seems to be the next logical step, as you won't really be able to go to a UK high street jewller to obtain a similar replacement. UK jewellers tend to mostly offer natural diamonds at a very high marked up price and Insurers won't pay an inflated price for a better ring than the one you bought online.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So why don't you contact the online seller with details of the original ring you bought and explain what your Insurers are suggesting. Get them to confirm they can replace your ring like for like for the £500 the Insurers are offering or what the current replacement cost is.

That seems to be the next logical step, as you won't really be able to go to a UK high street jewller to obtain a similar replacement. UK jewellers tend to mostly offer natural diamonds at a very high marked up price and Insurers won't pay an inflated price for a better ring than the one you bought online.

I would quite happily take an equal replacement from the seller,what the insurance company want me to do is take the 500 and sort it out with the seller afterwards. If it was that easy they would do the donkey work, pay the seller and I'd get the ring sent to me. As the ring was auction won he could quite easily turn round afterwards and say it cannot be replaced for 500 and I'd have cut my nose off despite my face.

IQOR (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

Simply Be (the OH) - No valid CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

HSBC Loan - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

HSBC Overdraft - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

LTSB Loan and Overdraft (the OH) - AID, awaiting result on PPI and Bank Charges complaint.

Vanquis - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

MBNA CC - No CCA, awaiting DSAR outcome.

MBNA Loan - awaiting DSAR outcome.

Capital One (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

I would quite happily take an equal replacement from the seller,what the insurance company want me to do is take the 500 and sort it out with the seller afterwards. If it was that easy they would do the donkey work, pay the seller and I'd get the ring sent to me. As the ring was auction won he could quite easily turn round afterwards and say it cannot be replaced for 500 and I'd have cut my nose off despite my face.

Ok, why not accept £500, but only on condition that if you are unable to gain a like for like replacement from the online seller for £500, that the Insurers will pay any additional sum necessary up to the amount it was specified for, as insurers accepted a premium for the specified value.

Keep this in writing, making it sound that you have acted reasonably throughout. Then if you go to the FOS later you stand more chance.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, why not accept £500, but only on condition that if you are unable to gain a like for like replacement from the online seller for £500, that the Insurers will pay any additional sum necessary up to the amount it was specified for, as insurers accepted a premium for the specified value.

Keep this in writing, making it sound that you have acted reasonably throughout. Then if you go to the FOS later you stand more chance.

good option.

This is a bit like car write offs. they know very well you cant get another car of the same mode as the one they say is worth only £500 so want to give you the cash. I had this with a watch, they offered an amount that was well less than the value of the item so I found another wacth for sale on the internet but it was in Canada and it was several thousand pounds. They then said that they were withdrawing their settlement offer and wouldnt but a replacement from canada but would as a GOGW pay the original purchase price, which was just under a grand.

Your problem is not one of depreciation but of the trying to get out of paying the full value as they dont like the idea of "betterment". On that basis they would only pay out £750 for a written off E type jag as that was what it cost new in 1962. As they have shifted a bit on this you should be making them approach the original seller and make them buy the replacement that matches the certificate you were given and when they send you the new ring take it straight to a jeweller who has done the FGA diamond appraisal course and get it checked out. If it is not as the original spec you let the insurer know that you dont accept the dodgy goods supplied by their agent. Remove yourself from the dispute and let the ebay seller fight it out with the insurer.

Part of the reason they want to give you the money in cash is that if they arrange the replacement from your original supplier (Or any supplier) then the Insurer is responsible for any problems with it.

If they give you the cash and you buy it from the original seller and their is some problem with the ring then they have no liability to you