Harvey and Thomson lost jewellery

sean110869

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I went to get my jewellery valued by Harvey and Thomson who managed to damage it when testing it and then lost it in post when sent for repair. After initially offering me 250 GBP compensation they have upped their offer to 400 but will not budge this despite the fact I Have sent them links and print offs of similar items to the one lost which show item would cost minimum off 500 max 1000 to replace. This is before the sentimental value is to be taken into account as item was 18th birthday present from my parents and I am now 32!

Should I take the four hundred or is there somewhere that can give me a guideline at to what damages I could claim not only for the replacement cost of item but the sentimental value

Well they owe you the cost of a replacement, end of.

I would reject the offer and insist on either the full value to replace it, or a near same replacement item.

Give them 14 days to produce one or the other and if not forthcoming, send a letter before action that court action for the full value will commence if not resolved within a further 14 days, then issue a claim via either CCMCC or MCOL.

I really cant see they would have a leg to stand on if they have lost your jewellery

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

I'm sorry but I don't altogether agree with the advice given above.

Certainly, they should be made to pay for the correct replacement value and if you can provide evidence of what that is then you can force them to accept that. Where I disagree with the above advice is in regards of the special or sentimental value that the items have for you. I think that there is a claim to be made for this – although you will have to be careful that it doesn't appear to be some kind of land grab on your behalf.

I think what will help will be statements from your parents, information about why they were given to you and what the occasion was and also if you have any photographs of you wearing them over the last 14 years. Given the initial value of the jewellery, I don't think that you are going to get a huge amount for the loss of the special value, but you may well be able to add an extra £200 or £300 or £400 depending on the kind of evidence that you can produce.

Harvey and Thomson are idiots to make a song and dance about this kind of thing. I'm quite certain that they are insured and so really it is no skin off their nose. There are clearly just being a bit jobsworth about it all.

Show us the kind of evidence that you can produce to support your case that they have a special sentimental value to you and then we will suggest a figure for that. It is quite likely that you will have to end up filing court papers for this – but on the other hand, once they are issued and given the relatively low value of the claim – likely to be less than £1000, there is a good chance that they will put their hands up. I can imagine that an insurance company wouldn't especially want to start spending money on defending a small claim for this kind of stuff. They would prefer simply to put up the premium of Harvey and Thomson

Incidentally, a sensible negotiating position for you would be to agree with your parents that they will help you use the compensation money to buy replacements so that there will be an element of the sentimental value in the new items. The negotiating position is that you would propose to Harvey and Thomson that you will spend the money with them and source the items from them. This should make them feel a lot better about caving in to your demands.

You can find a short discussion about assessing the value of the claim including the assessment of any enhanced value in the new Consumer Survival Handbook

sentimental value would only come into play if the items lost are basically one-offs, rather than a bulk manufactured item. Agree that having supplied a proper inventory they should be able to replace the missing things like for like rather than mess about arguing over a cash value.That is in their interests as well as the mark up by a retailer in jewellery is huge

sentimental value would only come into play if the items lost are basically one-offs, rather than a bulk manufactured item.

Very good point