How far in the past can the DWP check your savings history?

san_d
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

This is a speculative question because I'm not on the dole yet, but who knows!

Either in the process of claiming benefits or during a compliance check, one may be asked to produce evidence of capital, e. g. bank statements.

Is there a rule that determines a minimum or maximum period for which this evidence must be reported?

I've searched extensively on Google and I've also read the DM guide about capital but I haven't found anything.

Some people have been asked 3 months worth of statements; others 6 months; some other one year.

Any clue? Thanks.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Hi San_d,

When I have claimed Housing Benefit for example from my council authority, they have always requested to see 3 months worth of bank statements.

However, I am not quite sure if this is the same across the board by all councils?

You could also ring up HMRC/DWP to ask them beforehand what you may need so that you can be prepared.

bloomingflower x

When ever I claimed benefits, I only ever provided the latest bank statements which covered the preceding month. On occasions, the 'evidence' consisted of a dated printout provided by my bank showing the balance on that day. Both were acceptable, and I was never asked to provide three, six, or even twelve months of statements.

I suspect it will depend on who you see and whether they suspect you of deprivation of capital.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Not to scare you - as you are only asking a genuine question - but if they want to, the authorities can run as many background checks on you as they like.

Though that will be in cases where they think a claimant is being untruthful - and they would likely tell the claimant that they were under investigation.

Thank you all.

If someone claims JSA or UC and they have more than £6000 in savings, how many months of bank statements should they give. I remember last time I claimed JSA I was asked for bank statements but I only gave the first page of printouts.

Your question has already been answered in case you did not re-read the above responses.

My original question was answered. I acknowledge that.

Then I asked a second, more specific question, related to the time one applies to benefits (as opposed to a compliance check).