• Tweets

• Just to clear it up, sorry I don't make sense sometimes. I have paid £4000 £1200 of that was suppose to clear the £1200 debt.   Meaning I have sent a extra £2800 on top of my normal mainternance money.   Thank you
    • Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Benefit Sanction : Am I being treated fairly

Estane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2773 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been claiming universal credit for around 13 months whilst trying to recover from anxiety and depression. I have on several occasions explained to the DWP that these conditions affect my ability to work and attend scheduled appointments, providing as much medical evidence as doctors will provide.

Back in March I missed an appointment during a particularly difficult time for me. I wasn't able to talk to anyone or leave the house. I contacted the DWP as soon as I felt able and arranged another appointment, which I later rescheduled myself, against as a result of my condition.

This all happened around 5 months ago. In the last 4 weeks, I was sent a sanction notice for the period. The missed appointment was the trigger, and then rescheduling my next appointment made it longer according to them. This has resulted in me losing almost 3 consecutive months worth of payments (the first one which would have been this week) for missing a single appointment.

I contacted citizens advice, who spoke with DWP on my behalf. After speaking with their call centre staff, the charity advised me to seek a mandatory reconsideration and provide the medical evidence which DWP had requested. DWP wanted a medical note, but my GP would only provide me with a medical history as they cannot provide medical notes retroactively.

The mandatory reconsideration decision was given today, and it was not overturned. They cited not attending any medical appointments around the time I missed my DWP appointment as reason to enforce the sanction, despite my conditions.

Around a year ago, a similar situation arose, where my health condition prevented me from attending some appointments but not all. This particular issue was also addressed by citizens advice, and eventually went to tribunal. At tribunal the DWP argued that since I had attended one appointment during a specific period, I should have been able to attend all of them, which is completely at odds with the nature of my condition and how it can affect my day to day activity. My concern is that they will do this again, resulting in yet another tribunal process being a complete waste of time.

I feel as though DWP are running circles around me, taking advantage of my health situation and punishing me for the symptoms it causes. In the meantime I have been able to find work, a government role which begins in a couple of weeks, however I have no financial support to help me through the first couple of weeks of employment and I am worried that the stress of this situation could potentially cause a breakdown (not my first) that forces me to resign.

I am not sure what to do, any advice would be much appreciated.

Just because they haven't overturned their decision, doesn't mean you can't escalate it further.

I do hope you are informing your local MP of that department they are presiding over?

Demand they explain why this government is continuing to persecute the poorest weakest members of society with impunity.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I am hesitant about pursuing it further as it seems like it would be a potentially stressful waste of time for me in light of the outcome given last time.

I haven't spoken to anyone outside of DWP and citizens advice yet. What would be the best way to go about looping in the local MP?

I am hesitant about pursuing it further as it seems like it would be a potentially stressful waste of time for me in light of the outcome given last time.

This is why they can continue to act with impunity, because claimants are too afraid of exposing the [edited].

If you go onto "write to them", and put your postcode in, then it will show you who your local MP is, and then you can email them from there.

Edited by honeybee13
Unsuitable word removed.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ok, I've emailed my MP. I guess all I can do is wait now. Does this kind of behaviour often get overturned? As I have been entirely unsuccessful in the past, and I don't see how my situation now is any different to then.

Hardship payments maybe?

Always worth asking about them as your benefit sanctions are causing you further hardship and not helping your current medical conditions. Only 60% of normal payout but better than nothing

Just a suggestion ifits possible.

Due to my living arrangements, a loss of benefit will not result in either starvation or homelessness. As such, any applications for hardship have been denied. I was able to secure a food parcel once, to assist with my contributions to the household, but obviously that doesn't help with the more immediate issue of needing to fill my time with more meaningful things.

The DWP have insisted that they have funds available to help with travel costs to interviews and for new starters to ensure they can both look for work and accept positions, but they've been very vague whenever the subject has been brought up. Trying to get a concrete answer from their call centre is very much akin to pulling teeth in this regard.

I know this is not directly your query but on a side issue have you been on ESA prior or thought about it now? is your current situation stable? you seem to state that you maybe struggling and your not sure if you can reliably do this job you have lined up taking into account of your circumstances in reference to the DWP and their shenanigans....unless you are sure as can be that your close enough to fit for work.

on your original query the only option unfortunately seems to be the tribunal route and as bazooka said to cc your MP with whose input lets hope its overturned with immediate effect otherwise its tribunal that's if you want to really take it all the way ...they shouldn't penalise you on a "fluctuating condition" if you want to call it that imho

I know this is not directly your query but on a side issue have you been on ESA prior or thought about it now? is your current situation stable? you seem to state that you maybe struggling and your not sure if you can reliably do this job you have lined up taking into account of your circumstances in reference to the DWP and their shenanigans....unless you are sure as can be that your close enough to fit for work.

on your original query the only option unfortunately seems to be the tribunal route and as bazooka said to cc your MP with whose input lets hope its overturned with immediate effect otherwise its tribunal that's if you want to really take it all the way ...they shouldn't penalise you on a "fluctuating condition" if you want to call it that imho

I was on ESA for around 6 months when it was still Jobseekers Allowance. I have made enquiries about it over the last few months, but job centre staff have informed me that it no longer exists, that it's all rolled into Universal Credit now.

YEs now you are UC you remain on UC, if you manage to get a fit not from your GP you can call UC to arrange an appointment to have your SOFFW copied and the copy will be sent to the Mail Opening Unit ready to be uploaded for the processing team to access. You will still be subject to a Claimant Commitment whilst waiting for a work capability assessment but you can ask for this to be reviewed to take your health restrictions into account.

YEs now you are UC you remain on UC, if you manage to get a fit not from your GP you can call UC to arrange an appointment to have your SOFFW copied and the copy will be sent to the Mail Opening Unit ready to be uploaded for the processing team to access. You will still be subject to a Claimant Commitment whilst waiting for a work capability assessment but you can ask for this to be reviewed to take your health restrictions into account.

I am hoping that the job I am about to start will mean I don't have to, as this request would essentially be identical to what I'm already contesting. Their track record of listening to me so far has been...well, they haven't, clearly. Hell, I'm still waiting for a reemploy referral I put in for a month ago and reminded them of two weeks later...

well I don't think there's a difference if you claim ESA you should be put onto it at the assessment rate till your WCA which could take as long as 13 weeks but in the meantime you don't have to look for work in other words you should not be on UC if you feel your not fit for work only thing is you can claim ESA on a new or worsening condition

Under the UC rules a claimant still has to follow a claimant commitment and still be taking some activities to seek employment until they have attended a WCA (there are always exceptions e.g. in hosptial or seriously ill. Anxiety, low mood depression do not exempt you automtically from seeking some work and thereofre a revised claimant commitment is needed) Once you are claimin UC you cannot then claim ESA

yeh I get it I had to read up on some sites regarding UC but the logic is obviously not sound why make someone have a CC and sign on with restrictions when they have limited capability for work (lets assumes this is the case) when they didn't during ESA- JSA I mean someone with a psychiatric condition-bi polar or a serious mental health issue their condition can get worse with the stress of signing on or/and looking for work also what happens to EPS? or is this being phased out to

Still waiting on a response from the MP, how long does it typically take?

I've also run into a stumbling block with the position I was successful with. The agency handling the vacancy require up to date photographic ID (my passport expired 2 years ago) which I cannot afford due to the sanction.

Bus pass??

As for your MP, don't hold your breath, most of them actively encourage this bullying of the weakest poorest members of society.

If you have a job offer pendign phot ID you can speak to your work caoch and they may be able to access the flexible support fund (not usre they will be able to pay for a renewal passport) but they may be able to suggest an alternative, I know a few people had a provisional driving licence paid for on one occasion.

what happens to ESA pending appeal for lets say a first time claimer who failed their WCA and subsequent MR for ESA- UC do they get paid as they used to?

Can you start a new thread on this.

After going around the houses, I've been able to come to arrangement with the agency and sort out referencing/identification (this is a government employment issue, rather than a result of DWP directly). I'm just waiting for a start date now, subject to the DBS check being completed.

In the meantime, I had to attend another interview today at the job centre. I highlighted that I'd need financial help to make it to the job, but they cannot provide anything until I have a definitive start date. They are prepared to offer a bus bass for the first week of employment once I do have one. They would not, however, refund the cost of travelling to the centre itself for the meeting. If I had not been able to borrow the bus fare today I would have been sanctioned again.

Still no word from the MP, I'm trying to get in touch with citizens advice right now (their web chat doesn't seem to ever be available) via phone to see what options, if any, are left on the table for me.

This system is utterly ridiculous, how anyone could have possibly thought it was an improvement I will never understand.

You can of course always turn up to your MP's 'surgery' and speak with them face to face, reminding them of course that they have ignored your initial letter, and can they do anything, or in fact are they willing to do anything to help one of their constituents?

I received a response this morning from my local MP :

"Thank you for your letter regarding the Department of Work and Pensions and the trouble you have had with regards to your health, work, and treatment by the DWP. Although I have raised these concerns with the DWP, and asked for a response, I want to make you aware that if you do require a letter of support from myself with regards to any complaint that you wish to make, I will write that letter for you.

I understand from your letter that your new job position will have started by now. Congratulations on the position and I hope that the position suits you as well as you had hoped.

I hope this helps to answer any outstanding questions you may have. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me. "

So based on this I'm assuming he's on board at least. I'm going to continue the appeal process, picking up the required forms today, and visit citizens advice to make sure I'm covering all the points I need to. I may hear something back before this is finalised, as I'm aware the process can be rather long. I'll keep you folks posted regardless just in case the information can help others.

Thank you.