CRS - Harlands - X4Less

mickjb79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys. Just after a little reassurance.

I joined my local X4Less around November last year (2015) over the telephone. I was informed at the time that it was a rolling 12 month contract of £9.99, and i could leave if i moved away from the area, was made redundant, medical grounds etc etc...

Roll on March 2016. I suffered a back injury and informed the gym of this. They said they needed proof so i went back to the doctors and asked him to give me a note stating i couldn't continue in the gym. I proceeded back down to the gym and presented this to one of the staff behind the counter. She advised me to fill in the online form to cancel. I told her i didn't have internet access at that time and she said she would action it for me.

I noticed on my bank account 2 months later that direct debits were still being taken out so i cancelled them. I then was bombarded with texts from X4Less informing me my account was in arrears and every-time i rang they said don't worry we'll look into it. I then started to recieve texts saying my debt was being passed onto Harlands. And again every-time i rang Harlands and stated my reasons for cancelling the DD they said they would investigate. Then Harlands started sending letters telling me that £25 admin fees have been added to my account. And the whole process went round in circles until recently CRS have sent a letter threatening Bailiffs, CCJ's, Court action etc etc..

I have managed to speak to ROB Knight/ROB Avery whom is the collections manager as i never get any sense from the imbeciles in the office and to be honest he wasn't much better. He advised me to go back to the doctors and get another note stating i couldn't continue with the gym and CRS would end the dispute.

I went back to the doctors at a cost of £80 BTW:shock: and faxed another note to them explaining my back problems.

Today i receive another E mail from CRS saying thanks for the doctors note but as the account was already in arrears the debt needs to be settled.:mad2::mad2::Cry::smash:

I have spoke to the collections manager again today and he insists that what they are doing is Legal, they don't need to be regulated by the FCA and they have the full backing of the courts if required.

Is it safe to just ignore all letters now? I don't see how i can be held responsible for someone at the Gym not carrying out instructions. And i have made a conceivable effort to try and sort this out but to no avail.

Any help much appreciated. :thumb:

DO NOTHING.

Less for embarrass the gym on social media, twitter and FB.

Lodge a formal complaint and exhaust it.

Stay OFF the phone, talking to anyone over the phone is as much use as baptising a cat!

Keep everything in writing/email, if you send anything through the post, always obtain ''proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter, also send it 2nd class.

Have you got a receipt for the money you shelled out for the Drs note?

If they ring, laugh and hang up.

Any text messages they send you, forward them to 7726, spam on your handset keypad.

Harassment is a criminal offence.

Ignore any tame debt collector, they have no powers whatsoever, and could never obtain a CCJ or send bailiffs! Muppets!

Deal direct with the gym, and send them an invoice for the Dr's note they forced you to get.

Slick will be along in good time and will advise you exactly how to deal with these fools.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Mick and welcome to CAG

Hold off sending anything for now. Let's get the info we need first, and then we can offer best advice.

1. What date did you first tell the gym about the injury and need to cancel.

2. What date did you go back in with the Doc's letter.

3. What date was the DD normally paid each month.

4. What was the last DD taken by Harlands.

5. Have you made any attempt yet to get payments back via your bank.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick sorry for the delay in replying.

Had some great news today. I E mailed the CEO direct.

Dear Jon.

I was a member of your Gym in Sunderland as of January 2016. I had a back injury in March which unfortunately prevents me from continuing my Gym activity. I got a copy of this from my doctor, went down to the Gym in Sunderland and requested one of your staff to cancel my membership as I couldn’t access the internet at that time. A couple of months later I noticed the direct debit was still being taken from my account, so I cancelled it. I then started receiving text messages from X4L stating my account was in arrears. Everytime I rang to speak to someone they told me it was fine and they would look into it. I then started receiving letters from Harlands who started to add “admin fees” to my account (which are unlawful by the way) and the same thing happened there. Everytime I spoke to someone they advised me that they would speak to the Gym and get back to me. The account has now been passed to CRS and again I have explained the situation. Rob Knight (collections manager) advised me to get another doctors note so that the account could be sorted. I have done this and E Mailed it to him (at a cost of £80) and his reply is “there is still no proof of this at the Gym, so the account needs to be settled”.

I have now sought legal advice from Trading Standards and the CMA and explained the whole situation. I have been advised to contact X4Less as they “own” the supposed debt and inform them to instruct CRS/Harlands to cease all threats of debt collection, court orders, CCJ’s as I feel I am being harassed by constant letters for money, which I strongly believe I don’t owe, and have been advised I don’t owe. If the letters/threats persist I will start the procedure of drafting a cease and desist letter either to X4Less or CRS as harassing someone for money they don’t owe is illegal especially when the debt collection agency isn’t regulated.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Name edited

Membership No edited

I soon received this E mail.

Good afternoon

Thank you for your email

Your membership has now been recalled from CRS and cancelled, and they will no longer pursue for outstanding arrears.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused you.

Healthy Regards

Esther

Head of Customer Enquiries

Head Office

Head Office

Xercise 4 Less

Unit 1, Kirkstall Industrial Estate

Kirkstall Road

Leeds

LS4 2AZ

I have since contacted CRS to advise them i wish no further communication from them on this matter and to close my account.

Please update the thread to SUCCESS. Thanks Slick. Dont give in people.

Edited by slick132

HA ha ha, I think they are slowly, VERY slowly, getting the message that the outfit they have employed to chase unpaid premiums, are falling way short of the mark, and giving them a very very bad name!

P.S. Well done! :thumb:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Mick,

Sounds like a good result from X4Less so far. :whoo::whoo:

However, it may be that you can reclaim one or more DD's if they were not strictly due. If you give answers to my Q's in post #4, we can decide if a reclaim of any DD's is appropriate.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick132

1. What date did you first tell the gym about the injury and need to cancel.

Mid February

2. What date did you go back in with the Doc's letter.

Mid March

3. What date was the DD normally paid each month.

End of March 28th Roughly

4. What was the last DD taken by Harlands.

June 27th

5. Have you made any attempt yet to get payments back via your bank.

NO

Also is anyone liable for this extra £80 that i had to fork out for a repeat doctors note?

Cheers Slick. :wink:

Hi Mick,

If you'd come here earlier, I'd have told you NOT to pay anything for a Dr's Certificate, let alone £80 !! The gym has no real right to demand sight of such a document but it's too late now so forget that. Instead focus on what you CAN still do. I think you should reclaim the DD's that were taken after you gave notice to quit and evidence.

You told the gym you needed to cancel mid-February. So your last DD payment should have been taken around 27th/28th March if X4Less had done what was needed at the time.

You should now contact your bank and tell them you require a refund of the DD's paid in April, May and June 2016. The bank should do this without question according to the DD Guarantee Scheme.

Let us know when the bank has refunded you.