Cabot/Restons Claim Form - old cap1 card 'debt'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys

I thought this one had gone away when CAP One (the original creditor) couldn't produce the agreement, but Restons are now on the case. Answers to your initial questions below:

Name of the Claimant ? CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD

Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to. 26 AUGUST 2016

Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = XX + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total) -

^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE OF THE CLAIM IS DAY 1 [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please type out their particulars of claim (verbatim) less any identifiable data and round the amounts up/down.

"PAYMENT OF OVERDUE BALANCE DUE FROM DEFENDANT UNDER A CONTRACT BETWEEN THE DEFENDANT AND CAPITAL ONE DATED ON OR ABOUT APR 07 1998 AND ASSIGNED TO THE CLAIMANT ON SEP 24 2015"

What is the value of the claim? £14,058.98

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account?

CREDIT CARD

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007?

BEFORE

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.

ASSIGNED TO CABOT

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?

NO (IT HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN THROUGH AKTIV KAPITAL, LOWELL, BRIAN WHATSHISNAME - THE SOLICITOR)

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?

I THINK SO, BUT DON'T HAVE COPY

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ?

NO

Why did you cease payments?

OUT OF WORK FOR 5 YEARS

What was the date of your last payment?

AUGUST 2012

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?

NO, APART FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO PROVIDE AGREEMENT

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementlink3.gif plan?

YES - PAID £11 PER MONTH FOR FIRST SIX MONTHS, THEN £1 A MONTH UNTIL I STOPPED PAYING IN 2012

What you need to do now.

I HAVE THE CPR31.14 REQUEST READY TO GO, AND PLANNED TO MAKE ANOTHER S78 REQUEST TO CABOT (I ORIGINALLY SENT ONE TO CAP ONE). I HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED RECEIPT OF THE CLAIM FORM VIA THE MONEYCLAIM WEB SITE, BUT NOT LODGED A DEFENCE.

I GO ON HOLIDAY TOMORROW FOR 2 WEEKS, SO WANT TO BE SURE THAT I HAVE DONE ALL I NEED TO BEFORE I GO.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP, GUYS.

you've done all you need to do then

well done.

I've merged in your old cap1 thread for history.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

??

if the claimform was the 26th

then you have 33 days to file your defence

that date on the form being day ONE in the count.

the time limits for CCA/CPR once a claim has been issue are immaterial as such

if they don't respond by your due date you file regardless.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I've had what I assume are the standard responses from Cabot and Restons, copies attached.

I need to submit my defence to the CC claim form. Is there a template defence that I could look at. I have looked over the following from Dire1's sainsburys credit card "debt" thread, copied below, which looks good to me, but any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you for your continued support, guys.

Defence

1 The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.

The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. I have in the past had an agreement with Sainsburys but do not recognise this specific account number or recollect any outstanding debt and have therefore requested clarification by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request.

3. I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment pursuant to the Law and Property Act 1925 Section 136(1) from either the original creditor or Cabot.

4. I do not recall ever receiving a Default Notice pursuant to s.87(1) CCA. or any advance notice or warning. Therefore I have made a CPR 31.14 to Restons and CCA section 78 request to Cabot.

5. On receipt of this claim, I the Defendant sent a request under the customer credit Act 1974,by way of a section 78 for a copy of the agreement and payment of the statutory fee of £1.00 to the Claimant Cabot on 15 August 2016. Cabot have sent an acknowledgement dated 16 August 2016 but remain in Default of the said S78 request, as at today.

A further request was made via CPR 31.14 to Restons, requesting disclosure of documents on which the Claimant is basing their claim. Restons have responded saying none of the documents requested are mentioned in the particulars of claim.

The Particulars of Claim states 'contract' therefore There is a valid case to request documentation confirming the contract under CPR 31.14. The claimant has not complied.

6. It is therefore not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement

b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for and

c) show the nature of the breach and evidence by way of a Default Notice pursuant to sec 78 CCA1974

d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim

7. As per Civil Procedurelink3.gif 16.5 it is expected that the claimants prove the allegation that the money is owed

8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of section 136 of the Law of Property Act

9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Cab 1.pdf

Res 1.pdf

Uploads hidden

You need to redact them..

We don't do template defence

Each claim is diff and you need to understand what they mean too

Also its better to align your responses directly to their poc numbers

and they

Hi all

Sorry for the previous faux pas. Redacted documents now attached; one letter from Cabot and one from Restons.

I have drafted up the following as a defence and would be grateful for any comments before I lodge it.

Thank you all again in advance for your help.

Defence

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies upon CPR r 16.5(3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

1. The Defendant has in the past had an agreement with Capital One (Europe) Limited (Capital One) dating back to 1998. As the agreement was entered into 18 years ago, the Defendant does not recollect the specific details. Pursuant to s. 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA74) the Defendant requested a copy of the agreement and the terms and conditions from Capital One on 12 June 2012, prior to the issue of proceedings. Capital One confirmed to the Defendant in writing that it did not have a copy of the agreement, and was unable to produce a satisfactory reconstituted version.

1. Upon receipt of the Claim Form, on 1 September 2016, the Defendant again made a request pursuant to s. 77-79 CCA74 for the Claimant to provide a copy of the original agreement and the terms and conditions. The Creditor has replied in writing confirming that it does not have a copy of the original agreement, and that it will ask Capital One to provide a copy.
    Both Capital One and the Creditor are therefore in breach of their statutory obligation to provide a copy of the original agreement within the timescale required by s 77-79 CCA74. The Creditor acknowledges in its reply to the Defendant’s s.77-79 request that the agreement is unenforceable until it is able to provide a copy of the original agreement.
  2. As the agreement pre-dates the Consumer Credit Act 2006, the Claimant is obliged to demonstrate that the prescribed terms of any alleged credit agreement are contained within the signature document. Absence of such proof means that the court would be prevented from enforcing the agreement under s. 127(3) of the CCA. The Claimant has confirmed that it is unable to produce evidence that the prescribed terms of any alleged credit agreement are contained within the signature document.
  3. The Claimant asserts in the Particulars of Claim that the agreement with Capital One was assigned to the Claimant on 24 September 2015. The Defendant has received no notice of assignment, and is therefore unable to ascertain whether the Creditor has any legal right to enforce the agreement. The Defendant has asked the Claimant’s solicitors to produce evidence of the assignment but the solicitors, in a letter dated 12 September 2016, have refused to do so.
  4. Following receipt of the Claim Form, on 1 September 2016, the Defendant wrote to the Claimant’s solicitors and requested by way of CPR 31.14 that the Claimant’s solicitors provide copies of the documents referred to in the particulars of claim. The Claimant’s solicitors, in a letter dated 12 September 2016, have refused to provide those documents on the basis that the particulars of claim do not "mention" any documents. However, the particulars of claim refer to a "contract" and an "assignment", which documents the Claimant is obliged to produce.
  5. The Claimant, having failed to provide any evidence of the existence or terms of the alleged agreement, nor evidence of the alleged agreement having been assignment to it, and being in breach of its obligations under s.77-79 CCA74 and (as to its solicitors) CPR 31.14 the Claimant is put to strict proof to show:

1. that the Defendant entered into any alleged agreement;
    2. that the prescribed terms of any alleged credit agreement are contained within the signature document;
    3. how the amount claimed has been arrived at; and
    4. that the Claimant has the legal right to enforce the alleged agreement.

[*]In accordance with rule CPR 16.5(4) the Claimant must prove that the sums claimed are owed. In the alternative, as the Claimant alleges that it is an assignee of the sums claimed but has refused to provide evidence of any such assignment, it is denied that the Claimant has any right make the claim as it is in contravention of s. 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 and s. 82A CCA74.

R Red 1.pdf

C Red 1.pdf

bit too much info

don't tell them what they don't already know...or have not already said themselves

def due by Tuesday 4pm.

getting closer

can we just confirm

their POC is simply that one line you posted?

dx

and they

Keep it vague and in line with all the example defences already in the Success Forum...as stated by DX they know nothing of the debt except your name and address and amount and account number...do not feed them.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 weeks later...

usual crap from them if you go read other reston claimform threads

so what have they sent you?

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Sorry - it took me a while to get the use of a scanner. Restons sent their letter , a copy of the original application form (as attached), and a print out of all of the statements going back to 1998.

They clearly think that the copy application form is not enough to satisfy the s 77/78 CCA74 request, and state that in their letter that "legal proceedings remain on hold".

Should I write back to them with any kind of offer, or should I invite them to cancel the court action?

Many thanks for your help

Cap One Scan.pdf

Mmmmmm 1998 and no prescribed terms included in the signatory area.....no wonder "legal proceedings remain on hold". :roll:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

claim is stayed now as its passed 33 days since you filed your defence?

so restons stating 'they' are putting a hold is false

they have no choice

and they

nope

and they

well its stayed

could be like that for years.

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everybody.

The latest from Cabot is attached. They are tenacious for sure.

Am I right in thinking that the reconstituted agreement is not enough to satisfy the s 77/78 request for a 1998 agreement? Any suggestions for how I should respond would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Cabot 18 11 16.pdf

ive hidden that for you

can you please read the upload guide and not use a pen to cross things out with...

we can see all the details

a recon may well meet the CCA requirements

but NOT TOWARD COURT.

and they

oh and that's a rubbish recon anyway.

those docs could have come from anywhere

here or their filing cabinet of stuff they've collected to try and bluff people out of money.

no good!!

and they