Getting a mortgage on sickness/disability benefit. Indirect discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently on ESA Support Group and also have an award for DLA which doesn't technically need to be renewed until over five years from now.

I have the right to buy and could buy my current home for about 35k. I have some savings and may also be able to borrow some money from relatives to add to my deposit.

I cannot find a single lender that's willing to lend me any money toward this on a secured basis whatsoever. Iroonically they all seem to be falling over themselves to lend me money on credit cards on an unsecured basis but not enough to buy the property.

It seems to me they're basing this refusal to lend on their 'affordability criteria', ie- that this lending is un-affordable because I'm not in receipt of any income from paid employment. I find this utterly laughable because at current rates the mortgage would cost about £100/month and could be fixed for between five and ten years.... Also that the mortgage interest would be paid by the DWP under SMI anyway.

I suspect this is indirect discrimination, in that they are applying this rule to all applicants and it's indirectly discriminating against disabled people who are much less likely to have income from work owing to the disabilities that they have.

I just wondered if anyone here could indicate as to the likelihood of this being deemed indirect discrimination under the Equality Act if it were taken to court and any recent judgements that may be relevant, case law etc?

Edited by GrooverGrover

foundation of lending criteria comes to mind - even I had a full time job and O.H. we were just 3 payments in arrears due to robbery at work and fractured skull and received just basic sick pay and housing association refused application,

went onto housing market through normal channels i=within few months, your case would be very weak unfortunately due to your circumstances, but also be honest why eventually the Course to Public Funds be used when at the start you indicate the purpose, no lender will break funding rules?? sorry but out of order.

It seems to me they're basing this refusal to lend on their 'affordability criteria', ie- that this lending is un-affordable because I'm not in receipt of any income from paid employment. I find this utterly laughable because at current rates the mortgage would cost about £100/month and could be fixed for between five and ten years.... Also that the mortgage interest would be paid by the DWP under SMI anyway.

above last paragraph says it all!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi

Not discriminating at all. Nobody who is in receipt of state benefits as their ONLY source of income will be allowed a mortgage as benefits are paid to assist in day to day expenses.

Housing benefit/Council Tax Benefit is paid by the state as you need a roof over your head.

If you already had a house and paying a mortgage, the Government will only help with the interest on the mortgage, not the mortgage itself.

Would you expect the Government to buy your house for you?

Another thing. If you have savings over 6K then you should be informing the DWP of this.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I forgot to make clear that I don't have any outstanding debts. I have a good/excellent credit score. I have never defaulted on any money I've borrowed and haven't missed a payment on the credit cards I've used for the last 15 years.

Thanks for your response, I can't find the criteria you refer to. Is it online somewhere?

Regards the saving threshold. I am not over the 6k threshold and never have been. I have some savings yes, but nowhere did I state I had more than the threshold.

Which is why I said 'IF'

I have found something that may work but it is quite convoluted and you still won't own your home.

http://www.housingandsupport.org.uk/buying-a-house-using-support-for-mortgage-interest

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi,

No problem. Thanks

I also get housing benefit too, so (if you exclude the right to buy discount) owning my own home would save the government money in that way as it would remove me from their housing benefit books.

Not entirely but the DWP will still be paying for you ? :wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

foundation of lending criteria comes to mind - even I had a full time job and O.H. we were just 3 payments in arrears due to robbery at work and fractured skull and received just basic sick pay and housing association refused application,

went onto housing market through normal channels i=within few months, your case would be very weak unfortunately due to your circumstances, but also be honest why eventually the Course to Public Funds be used when at the start you indicate the purpose, no lender will break funding rules?? sorry but out of order.

above last paragraph says it all!

By the way the whole episode cost us £10,000 to-wards a deposit on another property, hence the Housing Assn would not pay to-wards deposit just because of the 3 missed payments due to lack of Income sustained after a criminal offence against me.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: