CRS/ Harlands - Exercise4Less Gym Membership

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Its my first time posting on here so bear with me. Iv seen a few different posts about this already but thought I would start a new one to see peoples thoughts.

I signed up to exercise4less earlier in the year as I was working very near to one. (I work away from home for long periods of time).

I signed up to the £14.99 monthly subscription instead of the £9.99 12 month one.

And I explained when signing up I was a contractor working in the area and would only be around for a couple of months at most.

I set up the direct debit and attended the gym for a couple of months as agreed, until I got finished from where I was working.

Before I got finished I told them in the gym I would be leaving within a matter of weeks and wouldn’t be coming back for the foreseeable future. (Unfortunately I have nothing in writing or anything to proof this).

I have since been working somewhere else and have rarely been home.

However when I have been back I have found letters from Harlands saying I have missed a direct debit and then from CRS saying they have been passed my debt and are looking for £180 to settle it.

Also said I only have 7 days to respond, which had already past by time I got home.

From what I understand CRS and Harlands are the same people?

And any charges they add on are both unlawful and don’t need to be paid?

Im not intending on paying them a penny as iv not used the gym so I refuse to pay anything for it.

What I would like to know is how I can make this go away?

If I just ignore it will they finally give in or am I better off writing to them and if so what do I say?

They have also started phoning and texting me saying I must contact them?

Thanks in advance for any help

Bully... First Post? :p You have 5 xd

Just kidding. :) Welcome back to CAG.

So how did you notify them about leaving? Verbal Or Writing?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Just read their reviews on line. It appears not to matter whether you had a contract or not, they just keep debiting your account.

It also appears that if you miss a payment there is a £25 charge!

My opinion is that the charge is a penalty that they would have no hope of recovering in Court so they will never take you to Court. No doubt other who post after will confirm.

It is a pity that you did not inform them in writing that you were cancelling since I would have thought that was in their T&Cs.

This would have given you more legitimacy but their outrageous penalties scupper their chances of getting any legal redress.

I take it that as they are chasing you for £180 that you have cancelled your direct debit and asked your bank to refund

any charges that the gym levied on your account before you cancelled.

As far as texts and phone calls are concerned you could block their number on your phone as well as complain that you are being harassed by them to your local Trading Standards office.

quite honestly I don't think you owe anything.

they cant harm you nor you credit file

so if you wish

you are safe to ignore them

else you could send one of slick132's letters

to buff them away.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

All of their puerile text messages should be forwarded to 7726 (spam) on your keypad.

As for their phone calls, keep a diary of events, and simply laugh at them down the phone.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

hi again.

iv been working away for a while now but managed to visit home this week.

there was another 2 letters waiting for me from CRS

the first on threatening legal action and issuing proceedings against me in county court

the 2nd saying my account balance being passed to Zinc Group Ltd "one of the UK's leading providers of debt recovery solutions"

what should i do to put an end to this? I'm still receiving numerous calls from random numbers but I'm currently working nights so i miss them all anyway?

am i best sending a letter into them?

Is there some sort of template http dx100uk you mentioned slick123?

thanks very much

you ignore it

that will end it.

don't forget

a DCA is not a bailiff

and have

no such legal powers

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Unenforceable debts often get passed around between DCA, none of them have any power over you and you should ignore everything from a DCA except a court letter/summons. If a DCA turns up on your doorstep tell them to leave and do not give any information, do not even confirm or deny who you are, shut the door, do not get involved in any dialogue. If they stand there and shout call the Police.

ok thanks.

is there not something i can do to make this just go away.

i work away and don't particularly want anyone coming to the door when I'm not there?

also getting sick of the calls and texts

thanks again

we've never heard of any gym debt resulting in a no powers doorstepper DCA appearing.

and the lasttime any of the gym lot did court was in 2012.

the best way to make it go away now I feel is to continue the ignore route

I notice our team expert slick132 has not seen this thread

I might well alert him for you.

might be an idea to pop up some dates for him...

date you joined

date you told them you wanted to end it by whatever method

date of last DD paid

dx

and they

I don't know the exact date i joined. it was mid to late January this year though. i told them when i signed up it would only be for a couple of months

I left in march and told the receptionist i would be doing so, although i received no confirmation she just said ok.

the final DD came out the 24/03/2016. (well after i stopped using the gym)

hopefully can get something sorted because the phone calls are getting more and more frequent. (i don't answer them but still annoying)

thanks very much

Who is harassing you over the phone? Have you been keeping a diary of events/phonecalls?

The gym is ultimately responsible for the actions of their third parties, so they will be the ones answering the courts for the criminal offence of harassment.

However!

They know that this won't happen, so continue to commit said criminal offence..

''IF'' you feel you need to send anything, then you 'could' send whichever powerless clown outfit the telephone harassment letter, and if they then choose to continue, you 'could' report them to the police for the criminal offence.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387367-Harassment-by-Telephone-**Update-21st-April-2014**

All they will say in their defence is that you were ignoring their puerile missives, so they were attempting to contact you by other means.

IMO, continue ignoring them, there is absolutely nothing they can do, nor will they ever.

If you like, and want to bait them a little, then answer and laugh at them before hanging up.

It is the gym who are the ones who need to be made to answer for this, so embarrass them on social media, expose them and the way they treat their customers on FB and twitter.

You're almost at the end of the line with these fools now, so don't give up, if you've documented all their harassment, then expose it on social media, and pose the question as to whether they think this is anyway to treat a customer?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 1 month later...

hi, me again. i decided to ignore all forms of contact from the company/ companies that were pressuring the "debt" and i thought it may have finally gone away.

Today however i have received a letter from Spratt Endicott Solicitors.

the letter has the usual content saying they are acting on behalf of the named client (Exercise4Less)

Failure to respond within 7 days may result in legal proceedings

"any claim resulting in proceedings will include additional costs payable to you. you should also note that if a judgement is obtained you may find it difficult to obtain credit from other sources as the judgement will be registered and remain on your file for 6 years"

there is no name on the bottom of the leter and it is signed yours faithfully Spratt Endicott

Is this just another front trying to scare people into making the payment? or is this the claim being escalated. The letter seems to be worded in a way that makes me think its not legit, just because of how its says may result in...

Id love this just to go away for good. unfortunately ignoring it hasn't seemed to work yet

thanks in advance for any help or further advise

same lot

different desk with a bloke in a different coloured skirt on.

using a different letterhead in the same printer

ignore the fake/tame solicitors

no powers a t all

and they