BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi I hope all are ok in these trying times. I assume most of us will be in the same situation with employment etc. I am obviously still intending to follow through my complaint against MB. However I do have to make decisions as I have found myself as will most people at this time left with a reduced minimal income, with all I can forsee is an impending up hill struggle for the forceable future. So not sure what, if any options I still have, I am presuming VT was only an option earlier on and a court CO excludes that option, I cant continue to honour the finance payments and cant even begin to estimate any timescales I would be again financially stable. So im basically trapped but want, no I need to get rid of MB all together, they can have the car and I learned the expensive way! MB recently emailed a letter (which is copied below) in it they refer to a recent termination, this is the part that is very confusing as its my understanding they terminated the agreement in March 17. They also inform they have placed the collections on hold, but then heres the cheeky bit, they do however want me to basically store the vehicle, tax and insure it, as per the agreement (the agreement that they already state was terminated) until they continue with their collection process; Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic currently affecting the UK and wider world, we’re emailing to update you on what will now happen regarding the collection of your vehicle, following the termination of your Moneybarn vehicle finance agreement. We won’t be collecting the vehicle at this time Normally, following termination of your agreement, we would arrange for an inspection and collection of the vehicle. However because of the current Government imposed lockdown, we are not currently able to collect vehicles until further notice. What will happen next? Nothing for the moment. We’ll contact you as soon as there are any developments in the Government’s stance and we know that we’re able to resume our normal vehicle collection activity. What do you need to do? We would appreciate if you can please keep the vehicle taxed and insured for the time being, as per the terms and conditions of your finance agreement. We hope this information is helpful and clear. Please stay safe and well, and if you need to contact us with any questions, please check out the latest information on the best way to reach us at So they state termination, then expect to lay down instructions for me to comply with as per my finance agreement T&Cs. To look after the vehicle that they do intend to continue collection of. If everythings terminated and in other words I have no right to the vehicle, Im not prepared to comply with instructions in line with a non existant agreement (I dont have to) and have a good mind to charge them storage. However l would much rather just leave the car, send off V5 to change ownership and be done with it and consentrate on getting justice for their mistreatment.   
    • No it isn't funny, but there have been murmurs on Social media, dfesn't take much for twitterati and FaceBork to go off on one. Some in our area have been on about shooting the Goats in case they spread the virus, people in a panic are unpredictable.
    • If she has had a note from the NHS saying she is vulnerable and should shield, then she should stay at home, and there are special regulations for this   If not, she has choices a) go to work; asking for a copy of the risk assessment, and how she will be able to be at less risk than usual b) see a GP about her stress and get signed off c) resign   Lots of people are anxious about the current situation. Lots of people also work alone in offices or far away from people or at home.     What people don't get to do, is expect their employer to keep paying them in full, for no work, because they are anxious. So, she needs to choose. I think b) seems right for her, but tat's just based on what you have said, and no idea what her job is.
    • So next knee jerk cull all pets? Maybe the Urban Fox populastion could spread it  there arfe many viruses that spread between animals,  but don't jump to humans Don't think they would be that draconian
  • Our picks

Hussey1979

Virgin Active and ARC Europe - Verbal contract?!? - **Resolved**

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1321 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I would really appreciate some help and advice.

In early March this year I enquiried via the website about joining Virgin active gym for me and my husband.

I work for a large bank so could take advantage of corporate rates if I was able to prove my employment via bank slip etc.

someone called me and gave me the price and asked me if I would like to go ahead,

I said I would and gave him my bank details etc

he then said I would have to go into my local gym to complete the paperwork etc.

I then got some calls from the local gym pressurising me to go in and sign the paperwork,

I had just had a baby and I couldn't agree a time for me and my husband to get in together.

They insisted it had to be within the next few days so they could get their commission.

I wasn't able to make it in to sign and didn't hear anything else from them at all.

Roll on two months or so later,

I checked my bank account and they had taken two DDs for £105 each.

I called up the bank and got this refunded via the DD scheme.

Thought it had all gone away,

I didn't notify them that I was cancelling the DD.

a few days ago, I received a letter from ARC Europe stating that I owe 236.80 and after that my gym membership will continue.

So just to clarify,

I have never signed anything,

I have not received any paperwork at all and have not provided any proof of my employment status.

I haven't even set foot through the gym doors and I am still breaking a sweat!!

Can they have me for a verbal contract? What do I do now?

Many thanks for any help in advance,

Sarah

you ignore them

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Interesting place you have here, normally Virgin do the whole Signed Contract thing yet they still went ahead even though you didnt go in to sign?!

Think might need to escalate. Ignore ARC - They NEVER do anything and try to make you feel little.

paul.woolf@virginactive.co.uk - CEO Virgin Active

Also Id include the guardian for the below reason;

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/23/cancelled-gym-membership-virgin-active

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thank you both for your reply. So I completely ignore ARC and email Virgin Active, both the CEO and the local branch that I joined, asking them to prove my commitment to an contract with them, quoting the Guardian article? Also ask them to respond within a reasonable timeframe. Anything else that I need to do/state? Thank you

Morning there...

Its more that including the guardian are interested in this sort of thing so wouldnt be too much amiss.

I would deffo write to the CEO and get it dealt with promptly.

Nothing more to add, just go and get them! :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thank you for your help!! Off to write my email, I will keep you updated!

Hi Hussey,

Keep the email really short and to-the-point.

Instead of going through a whole story about this conversation or that phone call, tell the gym CEO or Head Office you require them, in the absence of a signed contract, to cease demands immediately and tell ARC to stop harassing you. Failing which you'll report them to Trading Standards and The CMA as well as the Press.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks slick132. I was wondering how much detail to go into so that helps greatly ,

Hi everyone I just thought I would up date you all. It's only been a few hours and I have already had the following response: Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for emailing Paul Woolf.

I’m really sorry to hear about the contact you’ve received from ARC, an external debt collection agency that work on our behalf. I’ve contacted ARC to stop all contact and for the debt to be voided off. This can take up to 48 hours to be processed so if you receive anything during that time, please disregard it.

If there is anything further I can help with, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Martyn Jones, Customer Service Manager – Family Division

So thank you all for your brilliant advice!! So relieved. I will donate tonight

See complaining does pay off...

Fantastic news �� Thread Title Amended

FWIW... Virgin are a good brand, youve just had a bad experience. Dont rule them out in the future.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Hussey,

This must be one of the fastest-resolved cases here on CAG !!

Thanks for whatever Site Donation you can make - it'll help us be here for you and others.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for your help slick132, I pretty much used your wording and copied the guardian in on the email!! It was a quick response but they should not have been causing me stress in the first place. Another victory for CAG!