Virgin Active and ARC Europe - Verbal contract?!? - **Resolved**

Hussey1979
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I would really appreciate some help and advice.

In early March this year I enquiried via the website about joining Virgin active gym for me and my husband.

I work for a large bank so could take advantage of corporate rates if I was able to prove my employment via bank slip etc.

someone called me and gave me the price and asked me if I would like to go ahead,

I said I would and gave him my bank details etc

he then said I would have to go into my local gym to complete the paperwork etc.

I then got some calls from the local gym pressurising me to go in and sign the paperwork,

I had just had a baby and I couldn't agree a time for me and my husband to get in together.

They insisted it had to be within the next few days so they could get their commission.

I wasn't able to make it in to sign and didn't hear anything else from them at all.

Roll on two months or so later,

I checked my bank account and they had taken two DDs for £105 each.

I called up the bank and got this refunded via the DD scheme.

Thought it had all gone away,

I didn't notify them that I was cancelling the DD.

a few days ago, I received a letter from ARC Europe stating that I owe 236.80 and after that my gym membership will continue.

So just to clarify,

I have never signed anything,

I have not received any paperwork at all and have not provided any proof of my employment status.

I haven't even set foot through the gym doors and I am still breaking a sweat!!

Can they have me for a verbal contract? What do I do now?

Many thanks for any help in advance,

Sarah

you ignore them

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Interesting place you have here, normally Virgin do the whole Signed Contract thing yet they still went ahead even though you didnt go in to sign?!

Think might need to escalate. Ignore ARC - They NEVER do anything and try to make you feel little.

[email protected] - CEO Virgin Active

Also Id include the guardian for the below reason;

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/23/cancelled-gym-membership-virgin-active

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thank you both for your reply. So I completely ignore ARC and email Virgin Active, both the CEO and the local branch that I joined, asking them to prove my commitment to an contract with them, quoting the Guardian article? Also ask them to respond within a reasonable timeframe. Anything else that I need to do/state? Thank you

Morning there...

Its more that including the guardian are interested in this sort of thing so wouldnt be too much amiss.

I would deffo write to the CEO and get it dealt with promptly.

Nothing more to add, just go and get them! :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Hussey,

Keep the email really short and to-the-point.

Instead of going through a whole story about this conversation or that phone call, tell the gym CEO or Head Office you require them, in the absence of a signed contract, to cease demands immediately and tell ARC to stop harassing you. Failing which you'll report them to Trading Standards and The CMA as well as the Press.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi everyone I just thought I would up date you all. It's only been a few hours and I have already had the following response: Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for emailing Paul Woolf.

I’m really sorry to hear about the contact you’ve received from ARC, an external debt collection agency that work on our behalf. I’ve contacted ARC to stop all contact and for the debt to be voided off. This can take up to 48 hours to be processed so if you receive anything during that time, please disregard it.

If there is anything further I can help with, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Martyn Jones, Customer Service Manager – Family Division

So thank you all for your brilliant advice!! So relieved. I will donate tonight

See complaining does pay off...

Fantastic news �� Thread Title Amended

FWIW... Virgin are a good brand, youve just had a bad experience. Dont rule them out in the future.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Hussey,

This must be one of the fastest-resolved cases here on CAG !!

Thanks for whatever Site Donation you can make - it'll help us be here for you and others.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for your help slick132, I pretty much used your wording and copied the guardian in on the email!! It was a quick response but they should not have been causing me stress in the first place. Another victory for CAG!