UN admits role in Haiti's deadly cholera outbreak

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The UN has finally acknowledged it played a role in an outbreak of cholera in Haiti in 2010 that has since killed about 10,000 people in the country.

Scientific studies have shown that Nepalese UN troops were the source of the disease - but the UN repeatedly denied responsibility until now.

An internal report seen by the New York Times is said to have led to the shift.

But the UN still says it is protected by diplomatic immunity from claims for compensation from victims' families.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37126747

So the UN has admitted it caused the Outbreak which is still devastating that country to date but use there privilege get out clause and claim Diplomatic Immunity to stop paying out compensation.

Shame on you United Nations

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

READ MORE HERE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37126747

So the UN has admitted it caused the Outbreak which is still devastating that country to date but use there privilege get out clause and claim Diplomatic Immunity to stop paying out compensation.

Shame on you United Nations

The UN's own report is very carefully phrased.

http://www.un.org/News/dh/infocus/haiti/UN-cholera-report-final.pdf

It concludes that one of the UN camps had inadequate sanitation and discharged untreated sewage into a river. The UN camp held troops from Nepal.

That the source of the epidemic was introduction of a single strain of cholera, not multiple strains,into that river.

That that strain was almost identical to a strain that had been circulating in South Asia.

That there was a strong belief in Haiti that the outbreak had spread from Nepalese troops.

Despite all the above, the UN seemed hesitant to conclude that the outbreak had resulted from introduction from Nepalese troops or their staff, by untreated sewage, into a river that fed into a delta with a high population.

The report highlights that no one person or organisation was at fault.

It avoids the UN saying "we, or our staff, were responsible".

However, it's first recommendation is that UN personnel deploying should be screened for cholera or given prophylactic antibiotics prior to deployment.

Shameful it has taken them so long to admit responsibility.