Bullied at work. Temp contract. What are my rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is a common theme on this board but I haven't found an answer that fits my case.

I've worked in a factory on a temp contract for a couple of months with the expectation of working there about six months.

The first month all was great. My colleagues are all all seniors over 55 who have worked together and never had any temp colleague to deal with.

At one point one of the manager pointed out that I could fit as a permanent replacement for one the seniors (which I don't want by the way). One of seniors did not take it well and since then has started taking exceptions at pretty much everything I do, in doing so he verbally humiliated before my colleagues.

At one point I couldn't take it anymore and I verbally complained to the manager, which minimised the issue and didn't do anything serious to make it stop.

Now my other colleagues have started complaining to the manager about me for petty issues. In other words they would rather want me out.

The manager says he's on my side but refuses to take sides and said the workers have been there long and I shouldn't kick up a fuzz.

The company is very small and there's no grievance procedure.

I don't think I should be bullied into leaving but it looks like it's going this way.

What can I do apart from walking out and sucking it up?

I was thinking of writing a formal letter but I don't know what I should write.

I'm at loss. If I leave I'll get no benefits and never mind any good references.

Thank you.

ask them to just end your temp contract and confirm to the DWP that the work requirement has ended?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

ask them to just end your temp contract and confirm to the DWP that the work requirement has ended?

Thanks.

This is exactly what I asked them in first instance but they refused. They say that they need me and don't want to let me go but they won't compromise with me on any account.

They don't want to lose their current employees because they have worked there for long time.

They are playing hard-ball with me.

What other options have I got?

it sounds like they are not willing to take your grievance seriously so I don't rate your chnces.

So new job. Or head down and ignore the old timers.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

So new job. Or head down and ignore the old timers.

Having been in a similar situation myself, I would tend to agree. Search for another job whilst trying to ignore the old timers. It is much easier to get another job when you are already employed rather than trying to find one whilst on the dole.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

So, that's it? I have no rights?

Having rights is one thing; applying them with no support is another.

You say you are on a temp contract so it is a good bargaining point when applying for a new position, Basically you will tell any prospective new employer that you are on this 6 month contract but are KEEN to obtain a more permanent position in advance of your contract running out.

Most employers would see that as a positive approach and would more than likely be inclined to look more favourably on your application.

I know this for a fact as I used to be an interviewer of potential new workers and was given a base guideline, one of the things we had to look for was if the person was currently working and the reason why they wanted to change jobs. Those who were changing because they were on contracts that would be finishing soon were looked on as more suitable candidates.