• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Beneficial interest on goods under a HP Agreement.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BA

The point is that there should be a proper legal process that validates the actions of Enforcement companies to ensure that they are acting proportionally, the creditor has gone through a process of assessing options and the debtor has easy access to the courts to appeal without facing possible high costs awarded against them.

What is to stop Enforcement companies going after any assets bought with credit e.g mortgaged house. Where is the line drawn ? We are considering HP vehicles now, but in 2 years time, it might be people facing eviction from their homes. As the financial situation deteriorates, creditors will become more desperate to raise funds.

This three year review should look at each type of debt that is subject to enforcement and think about a fair process that might involve less work for Enforcement companies, but an active engagement between creditors and debtors.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if they can't pay to get the car back. The car might be used for work purposes and without it, they cannot earn a living.

Firstly, a debtor should never issue legal proceedings against an enforcement company whilst at the same time, his vehicle is clamped or has been removed. What he should do, is to pay the debt (including of course enforcement agent fees...which may include the £110 sale stage fee). In that way, he has not only avoided paying storage fees, but more importantly, he can continue with his employment.

Of course, if he cannot afford to pay....then he surely cannot afford to pay legal costs !!!!

Another point (and a most important one that seem to be overlooked, ) is that even if a vehicle is used for business purposes, it will only be considered 'exempt' if it's value is less than £1,350.

BA

The point is that there should be a proper legal process that validates the actions of Enforcement companies to ensure that they are acting proportionally, the creditor has gone through a process of assessing options and the debtor has easy access to the courts to appeal without facing possible high costs awarded against them.

There is a proper legal process and it works perfectly well.

If an enforcement agent takes control of any goods (usually a motor vehicle) and the debtor considers that the vehicle should be exempt (from being taken) then the correct procedure as outlined in the regulations in to issue a simple 'Part 85' claim. There is no cost involved. I have stressed time and time again that this is the correct procedure.

This week alone, I have assisted in three such applications and in each case...the vehicle has been returned. In two of the cases, the cars were collected yesterday and in the third case, the release instructions arrived too late and the vehicle will be collected on Tuesday.

What is good about 'Part 85' claims is that if they are rejected (I have had two rejected myself) the local authority (via the enforcement agency) will provide a reason. In this way, the debtor will know in advance whether or not to risk having the matter decided by a Judge (and the risk that costs could be awarded).

Firstly, a debtor should never issue legal proceedings against an enforcement company whilst at the same time, his vehicle is clamped or has been removed. What he should do, is to pay the debt (including of course enforcement agent fees...which may include the £110 sale stage fee). In that way, he has not only avoided paying storage fees, but more importantly, he can continue with his employment.

Of course, if he cannot afford to pay....then he surely cannot afford to pay legal costs !!!!

Another point (and a most important one that seem to be overlooked, ) is that even if a vehicle is used for business purposes, it will only be considered 'exempt' if it's value is less than £1,350.

If you ignore the recent silly case, where a daft person was directed down a route that made their situation worse.

Of course, if people can afford to settle debts to avoid an escalation that is sensible. They can then still look into the process and if possible take appropriate action.

But if you just look at the process, it is not a very good one and needs major surgery. You are going to get people who have their HP vehicles taken and they just don't have the money to get their vehicles back. They might rely on these vehicles for work or to access work. They are being forced into having their HP agreements cancelled, without a satisfactory legal process.

Not convinced by part 85 and perhaps the enforcement process needs to be better managed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you ignore the recent silly case, where a daft person was directed down a route that made their situation worse.

If an individual issues an injunction, at the very least they must be told the following:

Given the importance of this case, (and it's significance for all debtors) if a judgment has been released, I will try to obtain permission from the enforcement company concerned to provide details on here. I will first be contacting the moderating team on this forum.

If an individual issues an injunction, at the very least they must be told the following:

Given the importance of this case, (and it's significance for all debtors) if a judgment has been released, I will try to obtain permission from the enforcement company concerned to provide details on here. I will first be contacting the moderating team on this forum.

I thought this was a county court case, therefore no precedence set. I am not sure how they can be applying this one case to other enforcement actions, unless they are trying to deceive.

• Confused 1

I thought this was a county court case, therefore no precedence set. I am not sure how they can be applying this one case to other enforcement actions, unless they are trying to deceive.

Indeed, no precedence has been set (although Judges's have made the same decision in at least 3 cases).

The reason for publicising details of the case (possibly on here if permission is granted, or elsewhere if not) will be to highlight to debtors what they should not do if a vehicle has been taken into control.

It is also important to ensure that accurate details are given to the public !!

Hi

Regarding business exemption. Apart from the requirements of the act and regulations there is a ton of case law on this , which is still applicable.

The complete description includes the line. the business exemption applies to goods which are essential in order for the debtor to conduct his present trade or profession. So for instance perhaps an old taxi which is not used currently is not so.

So goods he uses at work may not be exempt at all if there is an alternative or if they are not essential.

Also whist it is true that lower courts provide no formal precedent, they are nerveless "persuasive" in other lower court hearings, just how persuasive depends on the level and reputation of the judge in question. Three judgments are very persuasive I would suggest.

UB real property is exempt.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

What happens after seizure ?

Firstly it should be said that the bailiff cannot just sell the goods as soon as the debtor is in breach of the agrement, it has to be terminated. Until it is, the debtor is entitled to pay the installments and have possession of the car(as far as the cca is concerned).

When this happens these rights and duties under the agrement no longer apply.

In these cases the ammount of value in the car will exceed the ammount left to be paid on the agrement, so since there are no further liabilities under the contract, this too will end.

The car will still be in possession of the bailiff as their rights to the interest in the goods still stands. At this point the dealer could start a third party claim but since they know what is happening and that it will facilitate the sale of the car and repayment of the sums due, they dont.

There is no need to transfer anything under the LOPA because the contract with the debtor will be at an end and there will be nothing due under it. Nor any requirement for the bailiff to put his hand in his pocket and purchase the car LOL.

The excellent point regarding sectin 51 sf the TCEA was brought up, here is the section :

51(1)A purchaser of controlled goods acquires good title, with two exceptions.

(2)The exceptions apply only if the goods are not the debtor's at the time of sale.

(3)The first exception is where the purchaser, the creditor, the enforcement agent or a related party has notice that the goods are not the debtor's.

(4)The second exception is where a lawful claimant has already made an application to the court claiming an interest in the goods.

(5)A lawful claimant in relation to goods is a person who has an interest in them at the time of sale, other than an interest that was assigned or transferred to him while the property in the goods was bound for the purposes of the enforcement power.

(6)A related party is any person who acts in exercise of an enforcement power, other than the creditor or enforcement agent.

(7)“The court” has the same meaning as in paragraph 60.

ss (2) Quite understandably would make you think that unless the goods were the debtors proerty the full title cannot be transferred

However SS 3 and 4, state in particular how these sections apply.

The first, is when the goods are not the property of the debtor, unfortunately, that brings up the beneficial interest argument because reference to goods includes (interest in goods) and interest means beneficial interest as per shed 12.

The second relies on the third party making a complaint, which as said they will not.

So good title will be passed under the auction (sale) process.

The finance co. will be the co-owner of the goods and get first payout after the auction the balance will go to the creditor after costs as per :

50(6)If there is a co-owner of any of the goods, the enforcement agent must—

(a)first pay the co-owner a share of the proceeds of those goods proportionate to his interest;

(b)then deal with the rest of the proceeds under sub-paragraphs (1) to (5

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It seems that CAB etc. are still saying HP items are exempt without a qualification

It seems that CAB etc. are still saying HP items are exempt

I suspect it is because that is still the official position i.e there is no case precedence or legislation. Yes 3 county court cases, but not binding on any other Judge to accept.

While i can see the argument that HP vehicles could be seized and sold with a HP companies consent to release money to creditors, i am not comfortable with the process of what is happening. I can there being a successful argument made that it is not a lawful practice.

If that is the case they are doing a disservice,as vehicles are being taken when under HP whatever anyone thinks of the legal position.

The fact is ,whilst you are right in saying there is no legal precident saying goods can be taken,equally there is none to say they cannot. The failed claims provide the only guidance.

Examining the legislation there is at least good cause to support the claim that these goods can be taken, that is all that is needed.

If that is the case they are doing a disservice,as vehicles are being taken when under HP whatever anyone thinks of the legal position.

I have no relationship with CAB, but from what i understand it is not their policy to alter their written advice, based on what has happened in a few County Court cases. They can't possibly keep an eye on all the different issues that CAB covers, what County Court decisions have been made and then start giving out different advice to people. Each case is going to be different. They will wait until there is a higher court precedence set or new legislation.

I have no relationship with CAB, but from what i understand it is not their policy to alter their written advice, based on what has happened in a few County Court cases. They can't possibly keep an eye on all the different issues that CAB covers, what County Court decisions have been made and then start giving out different advice to people. Each case is going to be different. They will wait until there is a higher court precedence set or new legislation.

I would think they want to protect their clients.

Have to say that there sees to be a growing.missconseption that every act or regulation requires a court precident in order to be enforced, it doesn't of course.

Have to say that there sees to be a growing.missconseption that every act or regulation requires a court precident in order to be enforced, it doesn't of course.

Enforcement companies will proceed based on the advice they have received, of how they can apply the legislation that applies to their work. Of course their actions can be challenged in court.

I think you know that Judges only deal with the applications in front of them, they weigh up the arguments against, decide whether there has been adherence with court procedures and make a decision based on their understanding of the principles of the law that exists.

We don't know all of the details of these 3 cases.

Hopefully BA will get clearance from site admin to post up more information. The Enforcement companies will no doubt have obtained transcripts for these cases and they might be available.

Yes it will be interesting although I doubt it will contain anything new.

The problem is that bailiffs can currently take these goods,most of the time there is no intention to sell In any case

I think advice must be given on the situation as is.

In regards to taking proceedings. Yes you are right anyone can take anyone to court.

The point of this thread is to clarify the argument's my personal view is that the term was never intended to permit these seizures of goods. In fact if it were not for the someone exercising their right to go to law, nothing would have changed.

I hope at least what has been said on here has shown how goods, even though in the continued possession of another can still encompass legal interests from other parties.

It is of no use throwing your hands up and saying the the property In goods remain in possession, because there may be numerous interests contained within them waiting to be released.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole Beneficial Interest conundrum needs a Supreme Court hearing imho, as it seems to trump the law of Contract and cut across Equity, depending on how you look at the interpretations.

Can't wait for as bailiff to try it on with a Finance Co where it is a PCP as in legally a long term rental, so no BI can accrue, it's only a matter of time before one is silly enough, wonder if it will be DCBL ?

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you for this story but no, it has no relevance to the case that this thread concerns and it doesn't help either.

For clarity, what is the relevant case that this thread concerns?

I read posts of yours previously claiming that a debtor had changed ownership of a car but the two old ladies in front of me were adamant that you cannot change ownership when you are only hiring a vehicle

For clarity, what is the relevant case that this thread concerns?

I read posts of yours previously claiming that a debtor had changed ownership of a car but the two old ladies in front of me were adamant that you cannot change ownership when you are only hiring a vehicle

For clarity, this thread does not depend on a specific case. Any case which examines the subject of the thread is welcome.

i have just requested that the team remove some off topic posts. edit even some of mine.

I also request that people only reply to posts which are about the subject in the title, and ignore or report anything else, no matter who it is from, (even if it is me:).

Lets see if we can keep this thread open.

A transcript would greatly assist but that is not an option at present. Therefore, the second best option must surely be to rely upon the detailed notes that would have been taken by the person present in court.

I think you said it was "not an option".