• Tweets

• It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is this grounds for constructive dismissal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I'm sorry for requesting assistance, but I have a situation which is making me lose sleep.

in 2015, my company announced it would be buying another company, and the deal would close in March 2016.

In Feb 2016, my manager at the time told me that following the deal, she would no longer be my direct manager, but would be a key stakeholder. My reporting line would change.

Immediately after that call, I had a call with a lady who I was led to believe (and still believe will be) was to be my new manager, and she was coming from the acquired company.

We discussed a role she had in mind which was of a similar level.

We had a few email exchanges in March as I tried to clarify a few items, and the deal subsequently got delayed until June, then July.

I have written by email and tried to call this lady for an update on my role, but I get absolutely no response. I know she is in her new role now, but I am still left hanging on.

My old manager who I still have 1:1 with, recently advised me that the plans she had seen show that my new role is actually at a level below my role when I reported to her, but she assures me there is no change to my terms.

I have again this week asked by email for an update as I am already being given more work from other stakeholders, and I know the top line manager for my department is aware of this addition of duties, but still neither he nor the "new manager" are responding to my requests for clarity on my future.

I do suffer anxiety and take medication for it, and maybe a side effect is paranoia, but I am sensing that they are delaying telling me of my new responsibilities, just to make me desperate and grateful for any job they give me.

As I have made repeated requests, and had no response whatsoever, not even a "sit tight", I don't feel I can trust the manager who would sit on the other side of the Atlantic to treat me fairly.

Is this a good case for constructive dismissal? I cannot see a future now with the company.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

Have you opened a formal grievance?.

If not, they can clIm they were "unaware of the problem".

Open the grievance, (giving them an opportunity to solve the problem, with a recorded notification of the issue).

If they then don't respond : that would be useful evidence for any future claim.

How long have you been employed? More than 2 years?

Hello, thanks for the prompt response, I haven't raised a formal grievance as I'm worried about being labelled a trouble employee, and I guess I still have some hope that there is an amicable solution. My experience from other big companies is that once you raise a grievance, you basically upset the hierarchy and they just make life difficult for you

I will have been employed here for 2 years in Sept.

You don't want to be labelled as a troublesome employee, but you'd prefer to resign and claim constructive dismissal, not having followed the process that will support your claim?

When in September is the 2 years up?. I wouldn't "rock the boat" until your notice period takes you beyond that date .....

Sept 1st is my 2 year anniversary, and I am on a 3 month notice period.

I guess I do sound contradictory but it's all new to me, and I what I don't want to do is resign and have to work notice, and then potentially be out of work with no income for several months.

I have a niche role which means I may not be able to secure a similar role and package easily

I am very appreciative of your response.

I have some time off next week, so I guess I really need to think hard about this

So, the deal has been completed in the last 4-6 weeks?

restructuring companies after a merger can take months and in some cases years, it sounds like your manager got a bit carried away and started to get the ball rolling way before anyone else was even close to thinking about it and is now trying to hide from the mistake.

Whilst not great from your perspective, I struggle to see how you have at this stage been disadvantaged, as at the moment you have only been told what might happen by someone that did not know what they are doing.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

thank you all for your input.

does it matter that my new role is at a lower grade? The corporation has a hierarchy and the change means that I'm at the next level down.

No immediate changes to my package, but I guess there is some importance to grades - otherwise why have them?

It sounds to me like you should try not to worry. Mergers and acquisitions are a messy business. Most of them do not close until a long time after they are supposed to close. Even after they have closed, it takes a long time for acquired companies to become properly integrated into their new corporate group.

The most likely reason why your line manager isn't responding is that the reporting lines are still in flux and haven't been decided yet. Reporting lines are often revised following an acquisition but this takes a very long time.

It sounds like the management of the company which may now own your employer are sitting somewhere in the United States and they probably don't have a clue what your existing responsibilities are, let alone what new responsibilities you should have. This stuff takes time to get ironed out. A US acquirer of a UK company would typically send a management team over the Atlantic to work in the UK company for a year or so, and then report back on any recommendations for changes to things like reporting lines. You may have seen a draft plan for the business but that could take years to actually be implemented and it could easily be changed or dropped. The plan your old manager saw has probably been revised many times and may now look completely different to when your old manager saw it.

Another possible reason is confidentiality. Mergers and acquisitions are a highly confidential business. This is particularly true if one of the parties involved is publicly listed on a stock exchange. In that case the release of non-public information about significant plans for the company to people who do not need to know it (such as you), would mean that the person could be disclosing 'inside information' which is a criminal offence carrying a substantial prison term. Even a response such as 'sit tight' could be construed as inside information, and in this case the management would be well advised not to send you any response at all.

I think you just have to be patient. You simply don't know if there will be any change, when that change will happen or what that change will look like. A bit like working for any employer.

No immediate changes to my package, but I guess there is some importance to grades - otherwise why have them?

There are countless reasons. One reason is that they might be changing the grade system to align with the US parent company. For example what is currently a grade 8 in your company could be equivalent to a grade 6 in the US parent company. So if they move to the US system and you are moved from a grade 8 to a grade 6, that isn't actually a downgrade.

I've worked in the UK operations of major international corporation which had 22 or so grades, but they were mostly meaningless, other than being able to look people up on the company intranet to see roughly how senior they are.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS