Mystery Shoppers Filming Workers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Folks

Mystery Shoppers will shortly be introduced at the restaurant I work in, They will be filming the server covertly, whilst we know this will happen we obviously don't know when.

I've looked around online but most conversations veer off into CCTV territory....not quite the same...can we refuse to allow this? My interpretation of the DPA would be that this is excessive for what it's being used for....I've also seen that they can't replay the video without permission or an exhibition license?

Whilst the server is being covertly filmed, I would assume the whole meal is filmed, so what would the implications be for other servers eg those bringing you your food and indeed other customers who will surely be caught in the filming process...

Any advice appreciated!

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hey Folks

Mystery Shoppers will shortly be introduced at the restaurant I work in, They will be filming the server covertly, whilst we know this will happen we obviously don't know when.

I've looked around online but most conversations veer off into CCTV territory....not quite the same...can we refuse to allow this? My interpretation of the DPA would be that this is excessive for what it's being used for....I've also seen that they can't replay the video without permission or an exhibition license?

Whilst the server is being covertly filmed, I would assume the whole meal is filmed, so what would the implications be for other servers eg those bringing you your food and indeed other customers who will surely be caught in the filming process...

Any advice appreciated!

They can film people as part of a programme to improve business performance and just need to inform people it is happening, unless it is purely a security issue where they would not need to warn people . As an employee you can't really refuse. But you have normal rights under the DPA to receive a copy on request when you are filmed and to be told how it will be used. It cannot be used beyond checking staff performance, training purposes and assist with security e.g staff committing theft. If they passed the film to say a TV programme or advertising agency to use for a purpose not related directly to your work duties, then i think you would have a right not to consent to this.

I have seen a few examples of this. Where i worked, we had trouble with evening cleaning staff who were going into office draws and cupboards stealing stuff. The company put cameras up in air conditioning vents and caught a number of them stealing, which was used to deal with the situation. When i was in Perth Australia years ago, i passed by a construction site where there was a protest going on. On the TV news they covered the protest and apparently it related to the building company putting up loads of CCTV cameras around the site to monitor the amount of work being done. All around the the UK and worldwide, i suspect that many employees are continually monitored on CCTV and may have every phone call recorded.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As it won't be seen by a third party, ie, the general public, YT/FB/IG etc etc, then it is quite legal to do so. The ONLY people who should have sight of this is the individual concerned, and anyone involved in the company in order to train staff.

If it was leaked out onto anti social media then the ramifications would be astronomical, bosses/ceo's would be sacked and the outfit conducting these covert recording would certainly lose their licence.

Have a read of RIPA also.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!