Need some help please! How to enforce a last will and testament?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I found out this year that my father (who I'd never had contact with) had died over 2 years ago, and had left me £25,000 in his last will and testament (I have a copy of the will from public record).

However, the executor is my brother (who I've also never met) who inherited the majority of the estate, and after some difficulty in getting a response out of him, he has responded saying that I was removed from the will as a beneficiary.

The copy of the will that is on public record does have codicils on it, but they do not relate to the money I've been left.

My brother has now stopped contact, and I'm unsure of what the next step is!

The document is a high court document from the district probate registry at Oxford, but there is no contact details for anyone other than the executor (my brother).

Any advice please on how to proceed?

You send him a letter explaining that the copy of the will on public record still has you listed as a beneficiary.

That unless he explains why you aren't a beneficiary that he (as executor) is in breach of trust by not making the bequests mandated by the will.

That if he persists in not explaining why you were not a valid beneficiary (or pays the bequest, since it has gone through probate for the will to be on the public record) that you will take legal action to hold him personally liable for his breach of trust.

Was he the sole executor? If not, copy in any other executor / PR.

Does he have assets you could recover a judgement from if it went to court?

I found out this year that my father (who I'd never had contact with) had died over 2 years ago, and had left me £25,000 in his last will and testament (I have a copy of the will from public record).

However, the executor is my brother (who I've also never met) who inherited the majority of the estate, and after some difficulty in getting a response out of him, he has responded saying that I was removed from the will as a beneficiary.

Unfortunately, due to the amount involved and the fact that it is an inheritance dispute, your only real option is to get a solicitor involved. This could involve some expensive litigation through the courts, but you'd be able to claim the costs back after winning.

First step is to find a solicitor experienced in contentious probate with a proven track record of success. Avoid the no-fee-no-win outfits and be very wary of signing any Conditional Fee Arrangements.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi BazzaS

In our short exchange of letters I asked him to provide evidence as to why I was no longer a beneficiary, his response was that I now needed to provide him with ID before he would communicate any further.

I sent the ID, along with further requests for any evidence that counter acts the public record document, but no he has stopped responding.

He is the sole executor.

In theory he should have a lot of assets! I found out that my father was a multiple property landlord, sold all the property, gave his other son (the executor) the majority of the estate before his death, then in the will left him about half a million that was left of the estate to hand over.

If the executor is no longer responding to correspondence, what is my next move? Do I need to get a lawyer? Because I'm not a rich person!

Thank you for your help by the way!

If the executor is no longer responding to correspondence, what is my next move? Do I need to get a lawyer?

If the executor is not responding to any communication, then I'm afraid a solicitor may well be the only option.

Most will offer a thirty minute consultation and then offer a possible course of action along with some estimate of the costs involved.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi Mr.P

Ok, thank you for the advice! Shame it has to go to this, but I'll look into getting someone.

Please do let us know how you get on, as any outcome might help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D