Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1428 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I am asking this on behalf of someone else.


Basically they rent a house, it is in need of a number of repairs, such as back door, living room ceiling bowing and shower room tiles need replacing.


To date the landlord has not doen any of these.


My question is what can be done, can they withhold rent or what actions could they take.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning AFCWBen...


Ive asked a member of our site team to have a look into it for you. Unfortunately Im not 100% sure, although I would advise NOT to withhold rent as it puts them at risk of breaching the agreement for the property.


We could do with some help from you.


Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group



Receptaculum Ignis


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



I'm not the person FKO is referring to above but, in the meantime, you can learn more about LL Repairs here - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/landlord_refusing_to_do_repairs



We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



Under No circumstances withhold rent as this could led to the landlord issuing possession proceedings, so consider this very carefully.


I assume we are on about a Private Landlord?


When did the tenancy start?


How long was the tenancy agreement for?


Has the Landlord been made aware of all the repair issues and have you kept a record of this? (also ensure to get photographic evidence as well)


I would contact the Landlord again to get these issues resolved (if needed put it in writing)


my concern is your mention of the ceiling bowing could you please give more info on this?


Also have a look at this CAG link: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455224-Private-Renting-Home-Owner-Shared-Owner-Leasehold-etc-Information


Also check with the Local Councils Private Landlord section if all Private Landlords need to be registered and if they do, check if your Landlord is registered.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am prob one of the ST team asked to respond. The Shelter advice is a good DO NOT unilaterally withhold rent, when due unless you want s21 & eviction.

I do not know what the move-in property Condition Report stated.

If the back door can be secured (locked) prob low priority repair, same for missing/cracked tiles if not causing penetrating damp.

Bowing ceiling may be result of earlier water escape or just due to poor construction, settlement or insuff load bearing walls (a problem with many open-plan living areas).

You need to report your concerns by letter to 'address for Service of Notices' contained in the AST/TA, and invite an on-site inspection to confirm repairs may be reqd. as not to antagonise LL who should welcome your concern for his property.

If no response from LL/LA within a month, contact the Tenancy Relations Officer at local Council who may do a site inspection and require LL to eventually repair if nec.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...