Barclaycard + payment date fixed to particular working day

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Caggers,

I have been having a discussion with Barclaycard because I noted, in May 2016, that the period between the date my bill was issued and the date my payment was due had been shorted by several days.

This very nearly caught me out as the payment is had always before

and since (I now realise) been due on the 15th working day of the month.

In May it was "due" on 11th working day of the month.

I had a look on their website,

it says: "Your payment date is fixed to a particular working day of the month...".

I take that to mean it is fixed - in my case to 15th - working day of the month.

So, for example, this month (August 2016) the 15th working day of the month would be 19th August.

Am I wrong in my understanding of this sentence on their website?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

To be honest i cannot see it makes much difference if paying by Direct Debit. My Capital 1 card the DD and any maual payments made through online banking are credited within 2 hours the same day. I suppose Barclaycard have the same quicker clearing payment method as well. So if you pay by DD you can never be late

Thanks for the advice that I pay by DD but it does not answer my question.

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Hi BB,

I can see no reference in your post above to your BC payment being made by DD, so I assume it is not.

"BC PAYMENT DUE" dates always vary from month to month in my experience.

You're confusing working days with a specific day of the month. For example, the 15th working day of August this year is 19th August.

But the 15th working day of September this year will be 21st September.

I have been caught out by this issue on several occasions but, when I've called BC to politely query being charged a £12 late fee and interest, they have been good enough to refund these charges.

The only answer in my experience is to check the due date when the bill arrives and make a diary note so you pay on time, some 3 to 4 weeks thereafter.

If you DO pay by DD each month, you still need to check the due date each month to ensure you have adequate funds in the bank for when the DD is going to be taken.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I really do not know how to make myself clearer. Thank you both of you for your replies but my question is not to do with DDs.

I will try to explain again. Every month for approximately two years my "payment date" has been on the 15th working day of the month EXCEPT in May when the payment date was suddenly changed to the 11th working day of the month. The payment date has subsequently reverted to 15th working day of each month.

The Barclaycard website says "Your payment date is fixed to a particular working day of the month...".

Why did the payment date change from 15th working day (which it had been for 18 months) to 11th working day (for one month) and then revert to 15th working day (last three months)? Surely this is in breach of Barclaycard's own Ts & Cs.

Hi BB and sorry if I misunderstood your query.

You say you've been discussing this with BC but what was their explanation ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Their explanation varies, depending on who I am speaking to and depending on how I respond to their "defence". The Barclaycard website states the payment date is fixed to a particular working day of the month. On the face of it, the 10th working day of August is 12th August, the 12th working day of August is 16th August etc.

If my "particular working day" is 15th of the month that means in August it is 19th August, in May it was 20th May. However, in May the "payment date" was moved to 17th May, i.e. the 11th working day. If all my other payments are due on 15th working day it would appear that their moving the payment date to the 11th working day is in breach of their own rules.

I wonder how many folk are caught out by the variable payment due date - I know I have, even recently.

If you want your question/complaint about this issue to be dealt with properly, write a formal complaint to Cust'r Svs telling them you are confused by their payment due dates which appear to contravene their own rules or T&C's.

Only when you complain in writing will the issue be taken seriously.