3 dongle debt defaulted and sold to lowells

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just found out that I have a credit default of £29 put on by Lowell Ltd. Apparently its for a 3 mobile internet dongle account.

I have paid the amount owed to Lowell today, in good faith and as soon as I knew about it.

The problem is that I moved address, and did not receive a letter telling me that a default was going to be put on

- but I'm sure you've heard this all before.

Lots of posts on here about similar circumstances,

is there anything I can do to get this default removed other than write to Lowell and beg?

Nope. The default would have been placed by 3 mobile. It was then transferred to lowells when the debt was sold. You basically paid lowells for nothing.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

silly idea paying it

I hope you didn't blindly do that on the phone to lowells.

pleading letter to 3 CEO is the only way i'm afraid yes.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You can plead your case to three mobile as see if they will remove it but do not hold your breath

A credit default for £29 quid is awful

How did it come about you owed this £29 quid?

I cancelled the mobile account, but apparently they think I still owed them for another months worth. The annoying thing is, this was not really a credit account, it was for a 3 mobile dongle but the account was actually one where you pay in advance, not in arrears.

Yes, £29 is pretty shocking for a credit default. They also failed to notify me about it because they were using my old address to send letters to. But anyway, I think mobile companies are not actually bound by the same rules as banks and don't even have to notify you first.

silly idea paying it

I hope you didn't blindly do that on the phone to lowells.

pleading letter to 3 CEO is the only way i'm afraid yes.

Why do you think it was a silly idea to pay? Paying it means that the default will at least be shown as satisfied rather than still outstanding. Or have I somehow admitted that the default is legit by paying it?

I wasn't going to pay, I was going to try and negotiate payment in return for removing the default - but that doesn't seem likely. The only strategy I have read about so far that has worked has been to appeal to sympathy with a begging letter.

its still there and kills credit sadly for 6yrs paid or not

the debt will show as settled but the default will still show,

who did you pay lowells??

that when straight into their profit pocket then if you did.

you cant admit a default but neither can you remove one by paying it.

not sure about your comment about it being a credit account

if you are indicating that you CRA file is only there to record consumer credit accounts

sadly that's a myth.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Did you give advance notice to Three that you were closing the account. Normally that is 28 days and you will have little to pay due to paying a month in advance

I have just done that with Sky. My final bill came to 80 pence

No, I don't think I did.

Did you also inform them of your new address ?

" They also failed to notify me about it because they were using my old address to send letters to "

Its not an interrogation rupert ...its just that we know all the points they will throw at you if you challenge them :wink:

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Did you also inform them of your new address ?

" They also failed to notify me about it because they were using my old address to send letters to "

Its not an interrogation rupert ...its just that we know all the points they will throw at you if you challenge them :wink:

Andy

No, I didn't. But as far as I was concerned the account was closed and done with, so why would I give them a new address?

Because wih contracts you have to give a 30 day advance notice period to officially close down that contract. You should have phoned them up to say you were terminating your relationship

Ok.

I think the real issue of this thread though is, should debt collection agencies be putting defaults of credit reports for such small sums? Given that a default seems to have a negative impact on the credit rating that is not proportional to the amount owed; a £100,000 default counts the same as the £29. This seems grossly unfair, and as documented elsewhere, there is no real process by which such a default can be appealed.

The default being recorded is an accurate record on how you conducted the account with the creditor. By not giving a months notice to terminate the account to the creditor you then breached the terms of that agreement.

The debt collection agency do not put the defaults on your account. They simply buy these terminated and defaulted accounts from the original creditor that have already been defaulted