Deposit secured booking re-sold

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys and gals, glad to see so many people getting tremendous help on here! Im hoping someone is able to shed light on my rights & responsibilities regarding the following issue;

In July 2014 I booked a function room to host my wedding reception.

I paid a 50% non-refundable deposit to secure this date.

I then changed this date by telephone and was told that my deposit would be carried forward for the second date rather than the first.

In the two years since that booking

we have moved and had a change of circumstances.

We unfortunately forgot that the remainder needed paying

'no later than one month in advance of the function date agreed'.

I ring to pay this and was told that as they could not get hold of us they had no option but to let the date go owing to demand for that particular date. I found my self without a venue with two weeks to find an alternative.

Whilst I appreciate we did not update our details, surely the fact we paid a deposit should have secured the date regardless and that deposit secures THEM against US cancelling.

I am about to start a letter of complaint after my verbal request for a refund of this deposit was refused point blank. However, on pushing my point, they said that under the circumstances they would speak to their treasurer.

I am obviously disappointed in myself for missing the payment, but feel that the deposit I paid was to secure the date.

If someone could advise, I would be very grateful

you need to read their T&C's and find out when they were trying to contact you.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I hereby abide by the following conditions of Letting:

1. The Hall can be decorated using blu-tack (not sellotape) and we do not permit table confetti in the hall. WE WILL REMOVE ALL DECORATIONS HELD BY SELOTAPE AND ANY TABLE CONFETTI

2. No drink (alcoholic or soft drinks) can be bought onto the premises at any time;

3. Any damage caused during the time of the function to be paid for in full.

**** reserves the right to retain the £100 deposit if any of the rules are breached.

I enclose cash/cheque pay able to *** for the sum of £*** being 50% non-refundable deposit. I will pay the balance of £** together with a cheque for £100 in respect of a damage deposit no later than one month in advance of the function date as agreed. CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED

Thank you for your email which I took to our committee last night to get their response.

On this occasion they will not grant a refund, nor compensatory payment.

This was based on the fact that after changing your address you did not get in contact with us and this meant there was no way to contact you.

Also the full payment for any booking is due one month before the event.

As this was not paid, we were within our rights to cancel the booking.

I don't believe we caused any 'distress' to you or Mr * as when you finally telephone two weeks before the event you told me this was no longer going to be a wedding, it was to be a birthday party.

I find it totally unacceptable not ot contact your venue to let them know your address has changed and not to make any arrangements between the booking in 2014 and the actual date in 2016.

Don't think they can retain a deposit on a non refundable basis for that long and relet

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so you didn't cancel until 2 weeks before the event ..is that true?

the fact that you didn't give them a new address is immaterial IMHO

but to leave it until 2 weeks before to eventually contact them is not on

before that, when was your previous contact..

and they

you had to pay 4 weeks prior - you state you rang 2 weeks before - contract broken, business do not have to wait until the last moment just in case you change your mind, hence 4 weeks before to complete booking! failure of which the deposit is forfeited, some people take out Insurance to cover last minute changes especially booking long time before date required, as events/situations change.

They have to try and re-let venue!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Agree with Old Cogger, people are quick to try to claim that rights but fail to remember they equally have responsibilities.

The OP was 2 weeks late paying the balance and because they had failed to update the venue with their contact details the venue was unable to chase them up to remind them to fulfil their side of the contract in good time not to loose their book.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

All well and good and I agree that confirmation should be made in advance, however from what the op posted we can't see any cancellation t&c.

A verbal agreement would be equally good , so did the op know that they had to pay up a month in advance?

If yes, no excuses.

Otherwise I would say that the op could consider 2 weeks reasonable

All well and good and I agree that confirmation should be made in advance, however from what the op posted we can't see any cancellation t&c.

A verbal agreement would be equally good , so did the op know that they had to pay up a month in advance?

If yes, no excuses.

Otherwise I would say that the op could consider 2 weeks reasonable

Looking at the OP's post

" enclose cash/cheque pay able to *** for the sum of £*** being 50% non-refundable deposit. I will pay the balance of £** together with a cheque for £100 in respect of a damage deposit no later than one month in advance of the function date as agreed"

I would say the four weeks is pretty clear.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Looking at the OP's post

" enclose cash/cheque pay able to *** for the sum of £*** being 50% non-refundable deposit. I will pay the balance of £** together with a cheque for £100 in respect of a damage deposit no later than one month in advance of the function date as agreed"

I would say the four weeks is pretty clear.

sorry, I had missed that.

No excuse then.