Redundancy and Possible New Contract Situation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently off work through depression. I have been off for nearly 3 weeks and my current fit note takes me up to next Monday.

This condition has been with me for years although this is the first time I have taken any time off. I have been in my current job nearly 3 years and disclosed the condition at my pre-employment medical.

Although not having any lost time directly with depression I have had 9 days off with a back injury and another 3.5 due to migraines.

I have had a lot to cope with over the past 2 years, 3 family bereavements (inc both my parents), 2 terrible house moves and I have had the threat of redundancy hanging over me. We have had 2 rounds of redundancies at work and no guarantee there won't be any more. We also came perilously close to having our house flooded in January.

All the stress came to a head 3 weeks ago. I knew something was going to give and spoke to my boss about going home sick. A few weeks ago I had been spoken to by HR re my attendance following the days off mentioned above. He suggested that taking more time off would lead to problems for me. Against my better judgement I went back to work. In a few occasions over the recent past when I have felt bad and wanted to take a few sick days he has talked my into taking these as leave days instead.

Unfortunately I lost my temper a couple of times the day before I went off sick and threw a few things around apparently scaring a couple of colleagues. Totally unacceptable I know, but I just could not help it. The following morning I felt awful but against my wife's advise went in. I went on to have a bad episode and walked out.

I know that if I was allowed to go off on the Wednesday nothing like this would have happened. I was of course totally stressed thinking I had effectively walked out but after my wife called the boss to tell him how I was told that wasn't an issue.

My worry now is that assuming I go back at the end of this fit note I will have accumulated 29 sick days in the past year. Not sure of the trigger point for disciplinary action but certain I will have passed that.

Bearing in mind my health and the company's need to cut a huge amount from the costs and assuming they don't just start the process of ultimately dismissing me would it be worth my while asking for a redundancy package or settlement package if I were to go voluntarily?

I do feel that a few months off and perhaps going to a part time role after that would be beneficial to me in the long run, our finances are fine and we can survive on my wife salary anyway so no great stress there.

Edited by Don1903

Did you sign yourself off or do you have a doctors note. If you have a docs note, then they should invite you to attend a meeting with their OHS department who can advise on the next step.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I cant see it harming you to approach them

it will do two things

make them confident in you

and make them aware that you are aware things get strained.

its better to have them on your side rather than an enemy even if it is in peoples heads along.

seems to me you are doing ok.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks. I have just been given another sick line for 4 weeks so had to break that news to the boss yesterday.

I know that anything that happens with work from nowis outwith my control so I am just trying to to get too stressed about it and focusing on trying to get well.

If I feel up to it towards the end of next week I may arrange to go in and speak to the boss and just see what they are thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently off on sick leave, have been off for 4 weeks now. I received a call from my boss last Thursday telling me my post was at risk of redundancy and I am in a pool with 2 other people and 1 of us will definately go.

We have been through 2 rounds of redundancies in the last 18 months so this is not unexpected. We will be informed of the decision early in the forthcoimg week but my question relates to if I get to stay.

I currently work Monday to Friday 8-4.30. My 2 colleagues work 6am to 6pm on a shift rota so including weekends. I am assuming that if 1 of them were to go then I would be expected to step into this shift pattern which I would definately not be keen on.

Can they force me to do this? Obviously this would involve a new contract of employment. I am quite sure I will be the one chosen for redundancy but I just want to be armed with the info incase I am spared.