Saga Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't bother with Saga Insurance. They send me letters offering low car insurance.

Initially they quoted £151 for fully comprehensive on my old Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol vehicle.

My car insurance is due for renewal at the end of August.

I phoned Saga today to check the initial quote.

They now quote £409 and said sorry for the increase compared to their initial quote.

I then obtained a quote from the AA which was £152.

OK so if you get any letters from Saga offering low insurance, either bin them.

Edited by Andyorch
edit

Just for fun I used Money supermarket to obtain a fully comprehensive car insurance quote for

an Aston Martin DB7, 6 litre V12 Turbo.

The cheapest quote was £358.42.

I therefore get the impression that if you want a fast powerful car which is cheap to insure,

get an Aston Martin.

Whatever car you fancy, don't buy a Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol because it's far more expensive

to insure than an Aston Martin DB7.

How the insurance companies think you can get over 550 BHP from a 1.6 litre Citroen engine

is beyond me.

I just received an email from Saga Insurance requesting that I retrieve the insurance quote.

OK so I went to their website and went through their questions again just in case they had

made a mistake with their previous quote.

This time I removed my wife from the insurance.

All the other conditions were the same.

I am 59 years old, a completely clean licence, no claims or convictions, no accidents in over

40 years and maximum no claims bonus.

New quote was £440.

I have just discovered the most likely punishment for driving without car insurance.

Apparently it's a fixed penalty notice (no licence points) and a £200 fine.

OK so it seems to be far cheaper in fines to drive without insurance.

No wonder many young drivers don't have car insurance.

I would never drive without insurance, but I now understand why many young motorists do.

I have just discovered the most likely punishment for driving without car insurance.

I would never drive without insurance, but I now understand why many young motorists do.

1. As another respondent has noted : the offence attracts penalty points.

2. If you have a conviction for driving without motor insurance, motor insurance becomes more costly.

3. Repeat convictions can lead to a disqualification.

Some might think driving without insurance is a risk worth taking to save money : but not if they look at the risks over all.

SAGA are just brokers using various companies to underwrite their policies. Knowing how pricing works a little bit, i should imagine that they insure a lot of Citreons, but very few Aston Martins. i should imagine that the pricing for the Aston Martin is wrong.

Many of these older driver companies are competitive for a year or two. But according to reports they are then quite often more expensive than other companies. Just because they advertise services for older customers does not mean they will look after them by offering the best premium available.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

SAGA are just brokers using various companies to underwrite their policies. Knowing how pricing works a little bit, i should imagine that they insure a lot of Citreons, but very few Aston Martins. i should imagine that the pricing for the Aston Martin is wrong.

The OP used Moneysupermarket for a quote, it most likely quoted Admiral who can quote ridiculous prices on exotic cars, especially a car that is potentially 20+ years old or alternatively it picked up a classic car policy on a limited mileage.

When compared to (I assume) the Op's recently manufactured Citroen, a much older exotic car can seem very cheap to insure

The OP used Moneysupermarket for a quote, it most likely quoted Admiral who can quote ridiculous prices on exotic cars, especially a car that is potentially 20+ years old or alternatively it picked up a classic car policy on a limited mileage.

When compared to (I assume) the Op's recently manufactured Citroen, a much older exotic car can seem very cheap to insure

People with exotic or classic cars tend to not use them as all year round, all weather, every day transport.

They also usually have such cars out of a special interest and take greater care looking after them which includes protecting them from collision or theft.

People with exotic or classic cars tend to not use them as all year round, all weather, every day transport.

They also usually have such cars out of a special interest and take greater care looking after them which includes protecting them from collision or theft.

exactly.

exactly.

Depends on the person. One of my neighbours had a lovely old Bentley and used it most days. They like to keep them in running condition.

Down the road, there are two vintage car enthusiasts with a number of different cars. One of them is a 1930's Bugatti i believe in lovely condition, which is used throughout the summer.

It is true that some owners of expensive cars don't use them much, but quite a lot of them use them regularly to keep them in working condition.

I seem to remember plenty of pictures in the paper of expensive car accidents involving cars we would all dream of owning.

The other point is that with some cars, if you have a small prang, the repair bill can run into thousands. They are not the same as a Citreon where you can buy replacement panels fairly cheaply in comparison.

Not to say the quote on the Aston Martin was wrong, as we don't know the basis, but i have a doubt whether this was correct even for say less than 3k annual mileage and mostly garaged.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Not to say the quote on the Aston Martin was wrong, as we don't know the basis, but i have a doubt whether this was correct even for say less than 3k annual mileage and mostly garaged.

I've just run a 1995 DB7 through for a 50 year old in a low to medium post code, as the sole car for a driver with a clean record and there are eight different Insurers all under £500, the cheapest being Autonet at £350 and Churchill are £455.

None of them are Collectors Car Policies

In the Central Motorways Policing Group (CMPG) area, they are increasingly using Section 165 of the Road Traffic Act to seize vehicles where the driver has no insurance, followed by a trip to court for your £200 fine and 6 points.

In the Central Motorways Policing Group (CMPG) area, they are increasingly using Section 165 of the Road Traffic Act to seize vehicles where the driver has no insurance, followed by a trip to court for your £200 fine and 6 points.

The power to seize an uninsured vehicle arises from s.165A, not s.165 (which is the power to obtain names and addresses of drivers, and to "require production of evidence of insurance or security and test certificates").

CMPG have long used their powers to seize uninsured vehicles. Their recent change has been to agree with insurance companies that vehicles used for road racing, or modified, where the insurance company has not agreed these changes, will be treated as uninsured. The police inform the insurance company when the vehicle is stopped, the insurance company say "insurance not in place as soon as the unauthorised activity occurred", and the car gets seized......

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/news.aspx?id=4766

s.165A was introduced in 2005 and is used by many police forces to seize the vehicle of uninsured drivers - along with a £200 Fixed Penalty and 6 Penalty Points.

As above, in some circumstances, CMPG are making further enquiries in respect of the use of the vehicle.

OMG, yeah great, you drive with no insurance and it costs £200....................................

Until you have a genuine accident because your car skids on some spilt diesel and you crash into another car, the other driver breaks their neck and needs lifetime care.

You, are not insured so need to sell your house to pay the damages to the other party which your insurance Co. would have paid.

Great plan

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Just for fun I used Money supermarket to obtain a fully comprehensive car insurance quote for

an Aston Martin DB7, 6 litre V12 Turbo.

The cheapest quote was £358.42.

I therefore get the impression that if you want a fast powerful car which is cheap to insure,

get an Aston Martin.

Whatever car you fancy, don't buy a Citroen Picasso 1.6 petrol because it's far more expensive

to insure than an Aston Martin DB7.

How the insurance companies think you can get over 550 BHP from a 1.6 litre Citroen engine

is beyond me.

I managed to insure a 2014 F-Type with 3 pts for £275

Insurance has now gone mad.

If you have a motoring conviction - it now increases the cost of house insurance.

If you have a non-motoring conviction - it now increases the cost of car insurance.

now petty theft implies you are a bad driver

and a motoring conviction implies you will make more claims on your house insurance.

Seems like the insurance companies are using any excuse to increase insurance premiums.

This is madness and needs urgent Government intervention.

Non motoring criminal conviction may mean you don't operate within the law

therefore you are more likely to Speed/drive dangerously

... and the same applies for Home Insurance .

..It's all risk based if you want the best price don't take risks ,

Simple really

What's the connection between having a burst pipe in your house, or being burgled, and your ability to drive in a safe manner?

(That isn't a riddle, by the way!)

There isn't an obvious connection. Sadly, if insurers have noticed an association, even in absence of clear causation, they can load premiums as a result .....

What's the connection between having a burst pipe in your house, or being burgled, and your ability to drive in a safe manner?

(That isn't a riddle, by the way!)

Of course you're more at risk of having a car accident if you experienced a burst pipe!

Please don't ask silly questions 😂😂😂