BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• You were asked for the particulars of claim, which I can’t yet see.    Posting your defence (without the particulars of claim) isn’t that helpful : the aim is to tailor the defence to the PofC, highlighting which areas aren’t in dispute (so the court doesn’t have to waste time on them, and can focus on the key areas), and which areas you can (as a matter of critical importance) show where the claim fails on matters of law.   ideally their PofC would be numbered, and you could go through line by line....   <\example> 1a) It is admitted a loan of £x,000 was granted on <date> 1b) It is denied the loan was made to Person X. The Claimant is mistaken, as in fact, the loan was made to Company Y. 2a) It is admitted in part that payments were made. To clarify, payments ceased on <date>. The claimant’s belief that payments were made after <date> is denied. 2b) Given more than 6 years have elapsed (with no payments nor admission of debt) ... <Staute barred text> (Points 3-7, more “denied”, “accepted”, “accepted in part, with bits denied”, and also “neither accepted nor denied, but claimant is put to strict proof thereof”) it might not be point 7, but you get the gist ..... In the alternate: (again, may not be point 8 but numbered sequentially and logically) 8a) It is admitted a note was signed by Person Z on <date> 8b) This note was not executed as a deed, and no consideration was received in exchange for it, thus no enforceable contract can be formed by it. 8c) Thus the claimant’s action in contract is fatally flawed, and bound to fail in the absence of an enforceable contract. 9) The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £[insert figure from their  POC]  or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied. <\end example>     The aim is to make it simple enough for a child to follow..... a) it impresses the court, b) it focuses on the key issues at law, and key matters in dispute. (The court can then decide who they believe to formulate what they believe happened, and apply their interpretation of the law to that to reach their decision!)   Both of these are adding to your credibility and making it easier for the court to see the legal basis for your defence, and c) when faced with this the claimant may see sense and withdraw (although, after so long ... I somehow doubt it!)      
    • Thank you I have already started that process the universal credit housing costs won’t even cover half the rent and as you know this process takes a long time.   I am also pretty sure my landlords have a UK mortgage as they used to live in the house we now rent from them if this is the case would they be entitled to the same rights even though they are based over seas now?    
    • Hi, thanks again for your help. I'm a courier; the insurance companies always stuff us.   Thanks again for everyone's help, I'll keep the post updated.
    • This thread is dancing around a bit – and frankly so are you. The question as to whether or not it is worth bringing an action for £40 is completely up to you. You still haven't told us who the business is and I suppose that you are trying to protect them.  Very noble. Bravo You have absolutely the right to recover your £40. If you are dealing with a business then it is the legal responsibility of the business to get the delivery to you. Even if the item has been delivered to the wrong address, it is still up to the business to take responsibility. As I understand it, you have been trying to contact the business and there has been no response. I must say that simply this element of your transaction – the lack of engagement by the seller – the would make me want to hold him to account. If the seller started to engage in a reasonable dialogue with me and also appeared to take some responsibility such as checking up on the courier himself, I might feel less disposed to bring an action for £40 – particularly in the light of the current crisis when I'm quite sure that things will be more difficult and take much longer time. We all know that transactions go wrong and for me the test of a good business is their response when they do go wrong. Simply to fail to contact the customer in response to enquiries or to show any further interest I think is a real abrogation of responsibility. It is not at all consumer-facing and it is businesses with this kind of mentality that need to be brought to book.   However you have a fundamental problem – and it is that you don't know where your proposed defendant is. You don't know his residential address. You don't know his business address. You don't know where his assets are. Without this, your chances of enforcing a judgement are zero – and in fact despite the fact that you have the right to bring the claim, a claim must be directed to a proper postal address and you don't have the information so it will be impossible to issue the claim. You can certainly send your letter of claim by email – but what's the point? You won't be able to follow it up with the claim. If the seller has managed to transact business with you without disclosing any clue as to his whereabouts – and if he also fails to respond to any of your messages, then you are being mocked. You say that you are irritated. Doesn't this irritate your sense of principle even more? This is another reason why you should stop protecting the seller and let us know who it is. You may well find that somebody else will visit this thread and provide some useful information which will help to move you forward. You should also give us the name of the different company which appears on your credit card statement to have been the recipient of the money. This could be another way of tracking him down.
    • So claim Universal Credit, which can include private housing rent up the Local Housing Allowance limit.   Foreign landlords may have mortgage loans through offshore Banking arrangements, so not the same as UK residential mortgage.
  • Our picks

Fluff16

Closing joint bank account.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1345 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I want my name removed from a joint bank account or the account closed. It is with TSB and has a £0 balance.

Despite it being that either one of us can close it I have been told today that it can't be done in the usual way as there is a 'restriction' on it and it will need both signatures.

Can anyone explain what that means?

I have a sole account with TSB that is in credit

and have no other debts or loans with them.

Could it be that my ex has another account or loan with them that is in debt?

That's what the customer advisor seemed to think was the reason but wasn't sure.

I am not in contact with my ex and have no desire to be, plus I know they would not sign anything. Is there any other way around it as I don't see why I should be put in this position. Thanks in advance.

Just thinking..

.could my ex have changed it to needing both signatures without me knowing?

At the time is was the only bank account I would have been able to use after we split up

. Instead I opened my own account.

Could he have been hoping that I would be unable to open an account of my own and had to use that one so he could monitor what I was doing and have access to it?

I know it sounds far fetched but you couldn't make up the things he has done

and I've found out about them.

It was a 25 year long abusive relationship and he controlled and manipulated everything.

Hi Fluff

CAB info on joint Accounts; https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/banking/joint-bank-accounts/

To close the Account both people need to sign. To remove yourself, i think only you have to request it however, have you actually asked TSB about getting removed from it?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Yes and they said they still need both signatures, despite it being able to originally be closed by either. Only my ex was paying into it to allow me to draw money.

I have the same with another account with Lloyds that they continued to spend on and i had no access despite it being in joint names. My ex ran up an overdraft and was still using the account to claim tax credits to which they were not entitled to and didn't notify them of even a month later.

It took me that long to get access as I had to get ID and jump through hoops to gain any access to what was going on. He sent me paperwork for that asking that I pay half of the debt he had built up to get the account closed. I had no access to that money despite notifying the tax office as soon as i could. I refuse to pay half of something that was beyond my control and that was spent in adult shops!

I can see now that everything he could do he did and that included lying about a failure of a bank account change. it didn't fail, he just kept control of them and left me with just one that he paid money into at his will as I had to ask. When questioned about anything he would get angry, abusive and threatening.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of their lies.

I guess I can ask for it to be blocked? Just can't see why I can't cancel it as there is zero owing on the TSB one.

With the Lloyds one they should also see I didn't have a card and that both accounts were paperless and only he managed them online.