Order to attend court for questioning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Yesterday I received a hand posted in the letterbox an order to attend court for questioning on 28th September 2016 to provide information about the judgment debtors mean and any other information needed to enforce the judgment order.

The original CCJ is from March 2011.

I've changed my name and this debt and order are in my old name.

They have asked me to supply documents relating to earning, bank statements, mortgage etc.

These documents are all in my new name.

The order states that I must obey this order or may be sent to prison for contempt of court.

I'm worried if I attend court, because I am a low earner and have equity in my house that they will put a holding order on my property.

Why are county courts getting involved in civil debt?

I have no contract with them.

Any why are they threatening me with prison if I do not obey?

Is this legal?

Do I have the right to remain silent in court?

Would it be possible to put a charging order on myself to give any equity to my partner so that If I sell the house, the first monies will go to her?

I have attached a copy of the order received.

Please any advise would be very helpful.

So the judgment is from 2011 - they have just got in front of the 6 years at which point an unpaid Judgment would have required the permission of the court to start collecting.

Have you been making payments toward the Judgment ?

Any attempt to "hide or dispose" of assets prior to the hearing might not go down too well with the Judge.

You are obliged to attend the hearing and answer questions put to you about your finances. How much is the debt for - are your assets (home) in your sole name ? If you have a mortgage then any forced sale would see the mortgage company being the first to receive funds. A charging order wouldn't necessary include an order for sale it will just secure the debt against the property in the event that you did sell it yourself.

I will ask one of the site team with more knowledge to look in on you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

"Why are county courts getting involved in civil debt?"

It is a county court judgement (CCJ). The county courts deal with civil debts (below £100,000).

"I have no contract with them."

You are subject to their jurisdiction if you are domiciled in England & Wales.

"Any why are they threatening me with prison if I do not obey?"

Because this is a lawful court, and contempt of court is a criminal offence. Otherwise, no one would ever pay a CCJ, if they could "thumb their nose" at the law.

"Is this legal?"

Yes, what makes you think you can just ignore a CCJ / a court order?.

"Do I have the right to remain silent in court?" Yes, although it comes with the right of the court to send you to prison in response.

Do you have the right to decline to answer and not face sanction? No.

Again, what makes you think you can just ignore a CCJ / a court order?

There is a vast difference in the courts approach to "can't pay" and "won't pay". If you can't pay, show them so : aim for affordable repayments.

If you are just "won't pay'ing" : expect the court to take a firm approach.

lizhawthorn1976 said:

Would it be possible to put a charging order on myself to give any equity to my partner so that If I sell the house, the first monies will go to her?

No.

If the CCJ was unfair / wrong, you should have defended it / appealed it, at the time.

Once lawful, you can't just ignore it, and the judgement creditor can enforce it (although if they haven't tried to enforce it within 6 years they need the permission of the court to start again to enforce it).

Attempting to hide assets rarely goes well: what do you think you can come up with that the courts haven't seen before?.

You need to move from "why should I pay"? to "what can I pay".

If you can't pay : show why.

The name change will have no bearing. You are still the same person.

No, staying silent wont work. A recent case I dealt with did this and he got sent to prison for contempt.

You are best going in, being open and honest, and see what, if any, arrangement the court put you on.

Thanks for the replies, its just that its £14k now for a car on hire purchase for a car that was repossessed a few months after I purchased it. The original debt was only around £1000. Does anyone know of a template to find out what charges and levies have been put on the original debt and also is there a template letter to offer an out of court settlement. What are your feelings on this?

Many thanks

You could send a DSAR to get all the data held on you and the details of the debt.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request-**Updated-January-2015**

This should be sent to the original creditor if the judgment was attained by a DCA

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread