Lowell Default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2787 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Firstly i'm new here so please bear with me :-)

i have been trying to get a a default removed rom my credit file that started out as £12 that i did not realise was outstanding. The debt has been paid in full once i found it on my credit file (£67).

Lowell have placed a default on my file and i sent an email to get further information and to ask for its removal.

I have received the following from them, how can i now progress?

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

Lowell reference ..........

We acknowledge receipt of your correspondence.

We note all your comments and have investigated the matter.

We note that you state that we are in breach of Section 87(1) of the CCA 1974 and that you received no such default notice for the account . The default notice is a one off document that is issued by the original creditor at the point when the borrower ceases to pay the required predetermined payments. As your dispute is in relation to the adding of the default in the first instance and therefore existed prior to sale of the account to us, then it would remain the responsibility of the original creditor to resolve. Therefore, any issue that you feel that you have in this respect would need to be addressed by the original creditor and not Lowell.

We are not prepared to remove any default registered with the credit reference agencies in respect of this account as we consider that this data remains correct and accurate. This information will remain on your credit file for a period of 6 years from the date of default.

The account has been paid in full and now closed and therefore you have accepted liability of the account.

Should we receive any similar correspondence from you regarding this account, we will not be providing a response. If, however, you do have any specific questions regarding the content of this email, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Colette

Customer Services, Lowell Group

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

- - - Updated - - -

also the default on my credit file sits under Lowell i don't actually know who the original creditor is for sure

sadly they are correct.

the OC would have defaulted the debt before sale.

paying off a debt will not ever remove a default nor improve your score

the credit file should tell you the type of debt it was

there is also no need for a DN to be sent though I suspect you've moved in recent times

and never informed your creditors

so everything chasing the debt was sent to an old address anyway?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Lowell are notorious for filing defaults on people's credit files and at the rate they do it, I am sure it is vindictive.

As the original debt was for only £12 and was paid, to then file a default that lasts 6 years may be correct, but it smacks of being excessive to me.

I would write to the Information Commissioner's Office informing then of Lowell's actions. Many people have done it before and the ICO tells them to remove the default.

Freyfrey

the £12 debt was defaulted by your original creditor not Lowell.

As you do not know who that was it would be an idea to write and ask Lowell although surprised that you would have paid without checking that the amount was genuinely owed.

I agree that to default an amount that low is harsh but you can ask the Credit Reference agency to put a note of correction on your file to the effect that you were unaware of the debt at the time and once you discovered it, you cleared the amount.

If you acknowledge that the £12 was indeed owed, then the default was correct.

You mentioned a figure of £67 which I assume was the amount including charges that the debt had become before you paid it.

I would have kicked up a real stink and never have paid an amount like that-totally out of proportion to the £12.

When writing to Lowell you should also ask what charges they applied if any to the £12 and if they did when and why they were applied.

As it is,whatever slim chance you may have had in getting the default removed went when you paid the whole amount off without attempting to have the default removed in exchange.

Once you know who the £12 was owed to you can then find out what it was for and what charges they applied afterwards. What date was the £12 applied?