• Tweets

• Just to clear it up, sorry I don't make sense sometimes. I have paid £4000 £1200 of that was suppose to clear the £1200 debt.   Meaning I have sent a extra £2800 on top of my normal mainternance money.   Thank you
    • Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fit4Less & Harlands, Another impossible cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there guys,

I've signed up for Fit4Less gym on 23rd of February 2016.

When I was in the gym to sign up the lady told me that it's a rolling contract and I just need to cancel the direct debit in order to cancel my membership.

I then received an email with details about the direct debit and a PDF attached with the Terms&Conditions which I've also attached to this post.

However three months ago my work and university duties became so time consuming that I didn't have any time to enjoy the gym so I recently decided to cancel my DD thinking that it will also cancel my gym contract.

I've been paying £16.99 per month as per my contract.

Yesterday I received a mail which states exactly as follows:

"

Dear MR ***,

re: Your membership to Fit4Less

We are writing with regards to your membership for Fit4Less as we have been advised by your bank that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled and as a result we have been unable to collect your monthly installment of £36.99. Due to this payment being missed you have incurred a £20.00 administration charge.

We would like to help you keep up to date with your membership payments and we understand this may have been a mistake so would kindly ask you to contact the Harlands Customer Service team on 01444449029* to pay the outstanding balance and reinstate your Direct Debit. Alternatively you have the ability to make a payment and reinstate your Direct Debit using our secure online payment service by following the link and using the details provided bellow.

Go to *some url*

You will need the following information to hand:

- Ref Number

-Credit/Debit card details

-Arrears to be paid £36.99

Please note you will not be able to access the club until this balance has been cleared.

We remind you that under the terms of your membership you need to provide 1 month's notice and therefore need to make another monthly payment. Failure to do so will result in further action so please contact us immediately to resolve and avoid this.

If however you are having any problems with your membership or payments please contact the Harlands Customer Service team on 01444449029* or email us at *theire email* and we will be happy to discuss your account. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Telephone lines are open from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and we look forward to receiving your call.

Yours sincerely,

Harlands

"

After I read your thread about properly cancelling the membership I was so sorry that I didn't look at it earlier, but there was literally no way to see that coming. And on my only day off I've been researching this thing, because I'm not even sure they will leave me alone if I even pay those £37.

I'll be really happy if you guys can help me deal with another blackmail attempt.:mad2:

MembershipTermsAndConditions.pdf

Hi Lizzard and welcome top CAG

Adapt this letter - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455225-Xercise-4-Less-Harlands-cancellation-and-administration-fees&p=4820863&viewfull=1#post4820863

Change it to refer to a rolling monthly agreement; use the correct monthly amount and offer just one month's fee; refer to the correct gym' etc.

Post it here if you want the letter checked first.

Read other threads here to get a feel for how the Harlands outfits works to harass gym members into paying.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slick,

I really appreciate your help and prompt answer.

I did actually go through lots of other threads but wasn't confident enough to modify one, that's why I asked. Those guys are seriously harassing lots of people, it's crazy.

Lately I had tons of other stuff on my head, hence the late reply, I'm sorry about that.

The thing that I've scribbled is as follows, I'd appreciate it if you can have a quick look and see if it looks okay.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I refer to my membership at Fit4Less gym in blahblah with Harlands’ unique reference number (number from bank statement): blah.

My agreement with Fit4Less was on the basis of a rolling contract. The first payment of £16.99 was taken by Direct Debit on or just after blah. This payment consists of £0.00 joining fee and the first monthly membership fee payment of £16.99. And then £16.99 was collected from my account via Direct Debit on or just after the 23st of every month

I cancelled my direct debit mandate and this was adequate notice of my intention to cancel. I realize now that I should have given 30 days’ notice to cancel my membership so I am offering to pay one-month membership fee of £16.99 to cover the notice period, to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you will accept the amount of £16.99 in full and final settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

blah blah

I will post it 1st class signed for so I got it tracked, as warned before.

Hi Lizzard,

Your letter looks fine.

Don't waste money on RM Signed For delivery. Just get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO counter when you send it.

Keep us posted.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi again,

Today I got a letter from Harlands dated at 12 August:

"We can advise we can take the payment of £16.99 without any further payments being made as long as the missed payment is made before the 19th of August.

Should you contact us after this date you would then need to pay the arrears plus 1 further month.

We trust you find this in order.

Yours sincerely,

Harlands"

This is perfectly fine by me, but they didn't clarify how to pay it exactly.

And I didn't find any bank details of them in the contract we had signed in the beginning.

Shall I ask them via letter or call/email them in order not to prolong the whole thing?

Or I can ask them via phone and then send them a letter confirming I made the payment and the reference number of payment so they can match it later, I guess?

How would you advise me?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lizzard40

Hi Lizzard,

Never call Harlands/CRS for any reason !

If you have an email address for them, use it to say :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate and will pay the £16.99 in full settlement of all that I owe.

However, I need your bank details to make the necessary payment so please provide these and a payment reference number.

If you don't have an email address for them, send the letter by post but get a free Cert of Posting again.

Or you could send them a cheque if you prefer.

Don't mention or worry about their deadline for payment. It's irrelevant.

Hi slick132,

I've just sent them an email, I was slightly late as I'm currently dealing with exams as well.

I don't have any cheques to send them anyways.

Thanks for your advice, awaiting their response.

Regards,

Lizzard

Hi again, Slick132!

After clarifying who am I, because they cannot use their letter reference number I got the following email:

"Dear Mr Blah,

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm to pay the outstanding arrears on your membership with Fit 4 Less you either have to send a cheque to our office or call the Harlands helpline a make a card payment over the phone with one of our advisors.

We trust you to find this in order.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449029 () Quote Reference : blahblah

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

Yours sincerely,

Harlands"

These guys are getting on my nerves! I see why everybody hates them.

I don't have cheque book with my card and even if I did I wouldn't send them one.

Anyways, the other option they give me is to call them and do the payment over the phone.

I'm not really eager to correspond with them over the phone as per your instructions (which really makes sense).

I simply cannot trust them they'll charge the correct amount and not go for the 37.99 initially requested.

I've had issues like that before and you can challenge the transaction with call to the bank and get it reversed, but I'm not sure in this case.

Please advise as you are the man with the experience.

Regards,

Lizzard

Hi Lizzard,

Reply to Harlands by email :-

I refer to your email of xxdate.

I have no cheque facility on my bank account so this is not an option.

I will not call your helpline as you have an awful reputation for having people on hold for ages before answering properly.

Give me your bank sort code, account number and a payment reference so I can make an online payment, as previously requested.

Yours faithfully,

See how they respond.

If they continue to mess around, you could send them a Postal Order which I hope will annoy them. Or if they fail to reply within 14 days, I'd be inclined to simply ignore them.

Hi Lizzard,

In that case, I'd send a 2nd email saying :-

Further to my email a few minutes back, you should be aware that I will be going away in 10 days time.

I need the payment details within 7 days to pay you before I go away.

Beyond that, you may not be paid at all.

I got an email stating:

"Dear Mr Best Customer of The Year

Thank you for your email.

We can confrim a payment of your arrears will either need to made by call our office on the number below or sending a cheque.

01444 449029

Please advise us on what way you would like to pay your arrears.

Kind regards,

Sophie Kelly for Harlands"

Does the Postal Order fall into the category of sending cheque?

Otherwise I think I can use the phone (I can't really trust them) and then record the conversation in order to have it as a proof in case they deny later that I had called them.

Then if they overcharge me I will contact my bank to challenge and cancel it.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

lizzard

Hi Lizzard.

If you're willing to wait for them to answer, call them to pay. Record the call and say, "Before I pay you anything, can you just confirm that my payment of £16.99 will settle all that I owe in full."

Unless they say YES to this, hang up and just ignore them from now on.

My concern is that their emails in posts #6 and #9 above are ambiguous because they do not say the payment offered will be accepted in full settlement of all that you owe.

Otherwise, can you get someone to write a cheque that you can send Harlands with a covering letter.

They actually did in the letter they replied with. Although it kinda agrees that this payment will settle all that I owe.

It's in comment #6

Today I got a letter from Harlandsicon dated at 12 August:

"We can advise we can take the payment of £16.99 without any further payments being made as long as the missed payment is made before the 19th of August.

Should you contact us after this date you would then need to pay the arrears plus 1 further month.

We trust you find this in order.

Yours sincerely,

Harlands"

Lizzard, this is Harlands we're talking about !!

They say, " .......... without any further payments being made ......... " Do they mean EVER or just at the time the payment is made. Also they refer to needing the payment BEFORE 19th August. So even if you called to pay today, they'd probably say you owe an admin fee on top.

Follow my advice in post #14 and let us know what happens.

I've just called and payed over the phone on the phone number they gave me.

It all went through nice and quick, the automatic answer machine said I'm speaking with Fit4Less, but I thought that is someone who is actually at harlands.

I made sure I asked them that this payment is final and will settle all that I owe at full, to which the guy replied with "yes, that's right, yes."

So I'm happy for now. Anything else I gotta do, you reckon? Like ask them to delete my personal data or

Thank you Slick132 for helping out, I'll head over to the donation page and where are those scales of yours (from the signature) so I can click them! ^^

Hi Lizzard,

Did you record the call ?

Excellent !! Keep it for EVER though as you just don't know with Harlands !

Thanks for any Donation you make to CAG and you can hit the little STAR symbol in the bottom bar of my posts (I need to update my signature !!).

Keep us posted.

• Confused 1

Yes, It'll stay backed up for as long I have the account.

No worries, I clicked the star, I think it's all done.

About these guys I'm changing address soon so they can forget about me and I will forget about them in the same manner.

Thanks, thanks, thanks again for your help, I REALLY appreciate it!

Keep it up, I'll keep having a look on the forum, you know, learn from the mistakes of others - really good advice someone gave me.

Have a great day!^^

Hi Lizzard,

Thanks for your Site Donation and for the personal Click.

If Harlands etc are still pestering you when you move, you should tell them your new address. Much better that you know exactly what Harlands/CRS, Zinc or Spratt Endicott are up to at any given time.

Others reading this should also see the guide here, which is not only good for gyms but for many other types of memberships, agreements, contracts, etc - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452671-Cancelling-your-Gym-Agreement-Get-it-right-!(2-Viewing)-nbsp

Keep us posted further if necessary ...........

That's the thing - I suppose this whole thing is finished and they won't pester me anymore.

I don't mind sending them my new address (I don't know it yet) but at the same time I don't want to remind them about my existence. :D

The guide was the first thing I saw, but it was already too late.. haha, I wish I'd seen it before, but nevermind. Things happen, we pay and we learn.

It's how it is.

All the best to you, good sir!

)

Hi Lizzard,

I added the Guide to Cancelling your Gym Agreement for others to see, maybe in time to use it !!

Decide what to do when you come to move. If they're still harassing you, give them the new address. If you've heard nothing from them for a while, don't bother.

Best of all would be if you are able to monitor post sent to the old address but that's not always practical or possible.

You know where we are if you need us. :wink: