EON Electric Debt after seperation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My daughter has split up with her boyfriend after 12 years and one child and finally admitted what we already knew that she is in a world of debt and has had to take out an IVA.

The boyfriend never contributed a penny to their living costs and she even paid off his rent arrears.

Problem is the elctric bill is soley in her name and that had been run upto 525.00 GBP which eon have accepted a twenty pound a month payment plan on

, I feel as it was a joint tenancy property (housing association) Eon should pursue him for half and her for half but she thinks this will not happen

. During all this time she has worked so he can sit on his arse and do nothing,

I am trying to think of ways to get the issue dealt with and bring her debts down

and thought it might be worth negotiating with eon, any thoughts.

You can certainly try negotiating with Eon but I tend to agree with your daughter, I doubt whether it will get anywhere – but why not try. It's free.

If the boyfriend has any assets and you know where he is then I would think about attacking him directly through a court claim to recover his portion of the electricity bill and more. The only problem is that as you have IVA creditors you may need to account them as well for any damages which might be won in a claim. I'm not sure how that would all work.

I'm assuming that she has no assets so why did she enter into an IVA and not become bankrupt? That would have put an end to it for once and for all.

Is the eon account closed or still open?

If it's a closed account and pre-dates the IVA, although not consulted as a creditor EON's insolvency team should be writing this off.

If the account is still open, the best course of action would be to contact EON's insolvency team and ask them to close the account to the date of the IVA, submit a claim in the IVA and start a new account from the date of the IVA going forward

Have to agree with your daughter sean110869. We wouldn't be able to add another name to her account.

Where is she at with her IVA? Has there been a Meeting of Creditors (MOC) and a proposal made? If there has and the proposal is approved, all debts up until the MOC become protected and all creditors are legally bound by the arrangement whether they were involved in the proposal or not. Is this the £20 a month payment plan you mention?

Sorry for all the questions Sean. Not sure what stage this is at.

Malc

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...