bodged roof fitting many faults

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone,

A little advice needed please. on the 6th july I had a new polycarbonate roof fitted aprox 5 mtrs by 4 mtrs which has turned out to be a right bodge job done.

Morning after fitting I noticed endcaps had fallen off, wrong material used on side frames, poly roof sheets had 2 inch gaps near to house so rain can get in, sheets were cut cut so badly it looks like they had been chopped with an axe, glazing bars lifting, scratches real bad big scratches.

I contacted business owner who said ill come out which he did 3 days later to be told yes the fitters had codged the job and they will fit flasing to hide the gaps and cut glazing bars correctly and basically cover over all the bodges.

I was told they would contact me last week about coming back but nothing at all heard. should I demand/ask the badged parts be replacedor have I got to accept his offer to cover over bodges?.

Where do I stand please? any help/advice id be most gratefull for. I paid £1310 for 4 poly sheets , 3 glazing bars plus fitting to be left with a very bad bodged job.

How did you pay? Card payments can be claimed back via chargeback, but before we go down that route, i would be insisting the job was re done, correctly, with properly sized and cut panels, i certainly wouldnt want a bodged job patched over.

Chase it up and make sure they are correcting the errors with new panels etc

Allow a further say 7 days, if you are still getting no joy, let us know and we can look at alternative courses of action

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

hi martin, many thanks for your quick reply and I paid deposit and total in cash but and have company receipt. I did say to the company owner that 2 panels need replacing plus the glazing bars and f-section should of been fitted both ends. the company owner came out about 6 days after roof was fitted and admitted the fitters had done a bad job and he would get some-one out to sort it by end of last week but nothing heard. I emailed him last night so might get a call this morning ill update later have tried to upload 1 pic as I have 40 as evidence but don't know if uploaded. many thanks again martin and will update later.

P1010457.jpg

Does the invoice show anything regarding a membership of a regulatory body, not 100% certain with PC panels but may be FENSA?

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

hi martin, no its says nothing about being a member of any reg body. should think the 2 who fitted the roof have had loads of complaints about their work sandard

Looking at the 1 pic that is uploaded, that area needs replacing.

Keep on at the company and i would also send an official complaint letter as well.

As you paid in cash, there may well be no other alternative but seeing this through to a small claims court, if you would be prepared to go down that route, include that as a final option in your complaint if they dont or wont come to resolve the issue.

I would advise that you gather what evidence you may need should you have to issue a claim against them

hi martin, that pic is not the worst its a right mess. have 40 pics of all the codges and bodges plus any calls, messages and letters from msef all logged. its a disgracefull mess. im keeping a log of all I do and if and when they contact me.

good stuff, you need to actively hound them to put this right

no reply to my email so yesterday sent a letter of complaint outlining the faults and what I want replacing to sort this problem. sent signed for and will definatly take to small claims court if nothing heard or roof not done to a good standard. im almost 63 and this week cut polycarb roofing sheet for the first time ever and cut it to a very high standard so don't know why the fitters could not do the same.

Good stuff, keep us updated

Slow down tiger, you must follow pre action protocol.

If they have so far failed to fulfill what they have promised then you can send a Letter Before Action, give them 14 days to rectify the problems and if they dont then you can issue a claim.

If you are prepared to go all the way to court then thats what you should do, if your not then theres little point in threatening that type of action.

There are some LBA templates in the library which you will have to edit to suit your particular circumstances.

Dont post the templates to thread, they shouldnt need approving first and will be removed again.

hi martin, I sent them a signed for letter which royal mail tried to deliver on 28.7.16 and card to collect was left but still not collected. ok ill give them the 14 days yes im prepaired to go all the way with this as its a right royal mess. many thanks for all your help and advise martin as I hadn't a clue.

If they are a local firm, maybe hand deliver yourself.

If you included a timeframe in your "signed for" letter, allow that to expire before hand delivering a LBA

In the meantime, get 3 quotes done fir the cost of the remedial work to correct their mistakes, this is what you would be looking to reclaim if it gets that far.

hi martin, I had a call about 10am yesterday from the boss of the company who are very local to me about 2 miles away saying he is coming to my house Wednesday morning to inspect roof again and will list all work that's needed to be done to put roof right so hopefully something is moving. could I ask am I within any rights asking for the 2 roofing sheets the fitters hacked to be replaced and not just covered over so it cant be seen ? the one is pic in this link but the same sheet opposite end has been cut to sort so big gap at opposite end and the boss spoke about covering it with flashing.

You are absolutely within your rights to demand that all faulty workmanship is rectified, including replacement of ANYTHING damaged as a result of the poor workmanship.

I would also have that "Official Complaint", printed out ready to give to him, stating as part of it, exactly what you require to be done to remedy the issues

many thanks martin you have been more than helpful and very much appreciated . will keep you updated after their visit on Wednesday.

You are absolutely within your rights to demand that all faulty workmanship is rectified, including replacement of ANYTHING damaged as a result of the poor workmanship.

I would also have that "Official Complaint", printed out ready to give to him, stating as part of it, exactly what you require to be done to remedy the issues

So its time now to hand them an official complaint giving them a 7 day timeline to rectify all faults and if not done, court proceedings will be issued without further notice.

But dont simply threaten it, if not done in your timeline, issue a claim for what it will cost to remedy the faults, hence why i advised obtaining 3 quotes

Edited by martin2006

many thanks martin your help and advice have been invaluable. well they are supposed to be calling today so lets hope its not another wasted day. will get letter drawn up now and thanks again martin.

• 6 months later...

morning folks, well its been a long time now and roof has still not been put right. sent letter of complaint, letter saying could be court action and evn second letter before court action andthey have taken no notice only to promise to come and do the work more than 20 times including Monday of this week and its still not been done. today im going to try and attempt taking court action against them for my money back as roof is not fit for purpose. I have endless emails and texts promising to come and do the roof but never turn up. ill keep you posted on what happens next.

morning folks, well its been a long time now and roof has still not been put right. sent letter of complaint, letter saying could be court action and evn second letter before court action andthey have taken no notice only to promise to come and do the work more than 20 times including Monday of this week and its still not been done. today im going to try and attempt taking court action against them for my money back as roof is not fit for purpose. I have endless emails and texts promising to come and do the roof but never turn up. ill keep you posted on what happens next.

You sent them a letter before action giving them 14 days at the end of July 2016, and haven't started proceedings 6 months after the 14 days has expired.....

You've fallen for the "its OK, we are coming to fix it" more than 20 times .....

Why would they feel they have to fix it?. At the moment they feel "we can just keep getting away with this"!.

Just be sure that if you succeed in court that you'll then be able to enforce any award ; little point in winning in court and then finding you have a judgment against a closed or insolvent limited company, or against a debtor who can't pay.

hi bazzas, you are 100% right we have fallen for all the old tricks in the book as I found out this morning he has gone bust. he drop some replacement parts of recently so looks like ill be doing it myself but a hard lesson learnt and from now on if I cant do it myself it will be left undone as ive had enough of cowboys to last the rest of my life and many thanks for your input.