research into today’s workplace ( ex soldier mental heatlh question)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine who is doing some research into today’s workplace for her university course has asked me to post this up although I have done it in my words as hers seem a little to complicated for me to understand and would like your honest answers, please not the political correct answer also.

A 48-year-old ex-soldier was medically discharged from the army due to mental health issues over 15 years ago.

He held down a job for 5 years at first working in a support role for a IT company but is illness got worse and he was forced to give up working, and was put on the sick with a lifetime recommendation in 2005.

He is on the maximum amount of anti-depressants he can be safely given, and has tried to take is life several time over the last 17 years, but has not responded to any other treatments offered by the NHS and has now been “parked” as untreatable.

Due to the recent rule changes to sickness benefits were mental health is no longer considered as a barrier to work, he is no longer able to claim Employment Support Allowance, and he is put on job seekers allowance and must try and find a job.

His mental health issues have worsened over the years and he finds it now difficult to talk to people he doesn’t know well, and although he has a short fuse, he has never been physically violent to anybody, but does shout at people and then walk away.

He needs several days in bed to recover from downer episodes and these may occur at short notice.

He also suffers for frequent flash back episodes and has been reported to be in a drunken state after, although he is a teetotaller.

The job centre says he must apply for up to 30 jobs per week in the local area but all his qualifications are now out of date, and he cannot afford the renewal fees or get any grants for over £20.000 it would cost to bring the up to date.

What role would you realistically see him in at you work place or would he even stand a chance of working at your firm,

Is this an actual case, or a hypothetical question?

I have never heard of any rule changes that Mental Health issues, are no longer considered a barrier to work?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

this is a hypothetical case based on several real cases she has come across in her work up to date , and although its not a rule change as such, the recent changes to ESA mean metal health is harder to get points for in the Work capability assessments. the current discriptors are

learning how to do tasks,

being aware of danger

starting a task and finishing it to the end

coping with change

coping with getting about on your own

dealing with other people

behavior with other people

recent changes to ESA mean metal health is harder to get points for in the Work capability assessments.

No it isn't, it's just that they have deliberately set up the system in such a way that they don't test or check for mental health issues, as they cannot be seen, hence why you're tested on your physical ability, ''squeeze my thumbs, touch your toes, raise your arms above your head''.

I was medically retired after 18 years in the Army due to my brain injury, and I've been through all of their farcical tests, ATOS, Maximus & the whole DWP are a joke.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I have PTSD and Arthritis. I am also on ESA so mental illness is not a barrier with an ESA Claim.

What i will say though is that i had to move to Northern Ireland due to the frequent [edited] ATOS Work Capability Assessments. At least over here they treat you as a human being.

Edited by honeybee13

What role would you realistically see him in at you work place or would he even stand a chance of working at your firm,

IMO he would be totally unsuitable for any full time paid work, at best he may be able to do some low paid part time work, which will have a detrimental effect on his mental health, bearing in mind his previous employment.

But quite likely he would only be able to do volunteer work.

OK here goes

1. When they were Medically Discharged did they receive a War Pension /AFPS and what Percentage were they classed?

2. When dealing with GP are they informing the GP they are a Veteran and this is what they are Medically Discharged for (Priority of Treatment) See link below

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Militaryhealthcare/veterans-families-reservists/Pages/veterans.aspx

3. Have they contacted or asked the Veterans Welfare Service for assistance? https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/veterans-welfare-service

(They could also contact Combat Stress which deals with veterans mental health issues: http://www.combatstress.org.uk/

Note: If they have a War Pension / AFPS and there condition has worsened and they asked to be reassessed (I know the thought of the dreaded nightmare of atos/maximus if you do) that every one has to go through

Also have a look at these CAG link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?459265-Armed-Forces-Welfare-Contacts-**NEW-Updated-Jan-2016**

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?467152-Better-care-package-for-severely-injured-veterans

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group