Cheapest Energy Tariff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Friends,

I have just come to know that OFGEM introduced several new regulations, back in 2014, to enforce simpler tariffs and clear information to be given to consumers.

Was this made into a law and if so what is the Act number ( just like we have Housing Act 2004 ).

Many Thanks for this.

-NewLyyn.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/news/simpler-energy-tariffs

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/simpler-clearer-fairer/fairer-treatment

It looks to me as though if they don't abide by the new rules then they will face fines from Ofgem - but there doesn't appear to be any law.

Ofgem make the rules

The Energy Ombudsman is the first port of call if you believe the rules have been broken. Dont confuse them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB for your comments.

I was with Scottish Power from Sept-2013 to Feb-2016. During this time, I was never on fixed price. I was on monthly rolling on their standard tariff.

Were they not supposed to automatically put me on the cheapest tariff, when the OFGEM brought regulation in Oct-2014. I came to know about this now and found that I have lost some £600.00 in three years.

Many Thanks for clarification & guidance on this, before I go to ombudsman.

-Newlyn.

It is my understanding that they should put you on their cheapest tariff, yes.

IMHO, I would suggest you send a Subject Access Request to Scottish Power - it will cost you £10.00 and they have 40 calendar days in which to comply. The data they provide you should show what they have been doing with your account - whether they have sent you bills that advise you what you should be doing.

Are you a private or business customer ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I believe we have a Scottish Power Rep - I will ask Site team if they can make contact with him for you.

BCOBS

Thanks CitizenB for this,

Scottish Power never sent me paper bill saying that I had opted for electronic communication of bills. However I never received bills as email attachment. All I used to receive by email was a notification saying that latest bill has been generated. To access the bill, I would then have to log-in to my account and view my bills. About Annual Summary, they did not send such email notification even.

Can such notifications be deemed same as sending bills? Any comments on this, please.

Scottish Power have tried to play smart and cheated me. I want to catch them in every possible way before going to ombudsman, so that they don't escape.

IMHO, you need to send them a Subject Access Request - you will see from that whether or not you opted for electronic bills - I think I have to log on to access my bills from an online account with my telephone - so I guess that is correct - but only if you are receiving proper itemised bills not just a summary ?

BCOBS

Hi,

Suppliers don't have to place you on the cheapest tariff, if for example, that is a contract product with different terms and conditions, hence why a lot of customers end up on the standard tariff.

Agree with CitizenB, only SP records will show how it came to be that you had an online account, but if this was agreed to then there is no need to send a paper bill

Hi,

Suppliers don't have to place you on the cheapest tariff, if for example, that is a contract product with different terms and conditions, hence why a lot of customers end up on the standard tariff.

Agree with CitizenB, only SP records will show how it came to be that you had an online account, but if this was agreed to then there is no need to send a paper bill

Okay. But it does not seem fair that such important information be included in bills only. That too when I agreed for electronic bill, one cannot imagine that they will send such information by bills only. After all no one may necessarily check the bills. Mine had auto debit set and so I would not be checking bills.

Can Scottish Power get away by saying that they have included information on bill and that it is for the customer to read the bills. I used to check my quarterly consumption through another link.

I hear what you're saying but for every person who wants to hear more from energy suppliers there will be other customers who don't want to hear anything. I think most, if not all suppliers would show which tariff you're on when you log in to your account online, the info is on bills and also an annual statement now - these do include details of products that may be cheaper.

As frustrating as it may seem, we must accept as consumers it's our responsibility to shop around for the best deal.