Retaining card details withour permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently we made a booking on Brittany Ferries and paid a deposit after reading the T & Cs.

On receiving the itinery we noticed that it said that the balance would automatically be debited from the card used to pay the deposit.

At no time did we give them permission to retain our card details and it is not mentioned in the T & Cs at all.

Can they retain your card details although they were never given permission?

I didn't think they were permitted to retain your card details. Once the transaction has been completed, they should be removed.

How do they know that you would want to pay the balance via that account ? You might want to use another credit card/debit card account or even a cheque or online transfer ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/mar/20/consumer-affairs

13.7 Can an organisation retain my credit card / bank account details after I close my account with that organisation?

Section 2(1)©(iv) of the Acts provide that "the data shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes [for which it was obtained]". Where the purpose for which the information was obtained has ceased and the personal information is no longer required, the data must be deleted or disposed of in a secure manner. Information should never be kept 'just in case' a use can be found for it in the future.

The Data Protection Acts do not specify a maximum retention period and accordingly it is a matter for the data controller to decide on an appropriate retention policy based on the circumstances and the reason why the information is being retained. We would not generally raise an issue from a data protection perspective with a retention policy that provides for banking information to be retained for a short period following termination of a customer contract in order to deal with any subsequent queries about payments made on the account/closing balances etc. We would not expect that such companies would be required to delete a person's bank details immediately when a person requests the closure of their account.

13.8 Can an organisation re-use my retained credit card information for a subsequent purpose?

Where personal data stored on a credit/debit card is collected for the purpose of a transaction, unless it is clearly stated, it can be assumed that the purpose for its collection ends following a certain period following completion of the payment for a product or service (to allow for follow-up payment related queries).

Where an organisation retains personal data for automatic renewal of a subscription service, we would expect the customer to have agreed in some way to this further processing. Where an organisation can point to an ongoing customer relationship and where it is using payment details in line with the terms and conditions which it outlined at the time the person signed up for the product/service, then the use of the credit card details in an auto-renewal transaction will not likely give rise to a data protection issue.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-in-the-Banking-and-Insurance-Sectors/1249.htm

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I didn't think they were permitted to retain your card details. Once the transaction has been completed, they should be removed.

How do they know that you would want to pay the balance via that account ? You might want to use another credit card/debit card account or even a cheque or online transfer ?

Thanks. That is our issue.

We paid the deposit with a NW debit card

however will be paying the balance through HSBC.

I was quite surprised that they would retain the card details for a period of 3 months in one case

and with the other booking nearly 8 months especially as we never gave them permission to retain them in the first place.

As Brittany ferries is a French company although reputable it does create a concern.

I think it might be in your interest to either email/write (with PoP) or telephone and make sure you record the call. Advise them that you would prefer they didn't keep that particular card on file as you will not be paying the balance with it.

Once you have that on record, should they make any attempt to withdraw funds then you might have cause for a complaint against them.

BCOBS