• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Time to think again about an enforcment ombudsman?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

July7th 2016

Back in April 2011,

I issued through Bailiff Studies Centre a discussion document (number three in the series) entitled

"Do we need an enforcement services ombudsman?"

The query was met with enthusiasm from some and wariness by others.

Since then, of course, matters have moved on considerably.

At the time of writing it still appeared likely that the Security Industry Authority would have some regulatory role in the sector and that the introduction of the reformed regime of bailiff law would lead to a considerable strengthening of the procedures for licencing and monitoring individual agents.

None of that happened.

The SIA dropped out of the picture and the rejigged certification process brought in to the Civil Procedure Rules in 2014 is very far from comprehensive or robust.

We were promised thorough training for county court district judges; there is little evidence of this.

A recent issue of Bailiff Studies Bulletin highlighted some of the problems with the qualifications upon which certificates are issued and there is, of course, no regulation of agencies, only individual agents- a bizarre result in the early 21st century.

We still lack any sector overview and any industry wide maintenance of standards or best practice.

It seems to me that there is still a very strong argument for some for of regulator

(the commercial body Ombudsman Services were interested in the function five years ago).

I would propose, too, that this regulation is not limited to enforcement agents and agencies.

I suggest that there would be a useful function for all parties (not just debtors) for those offering advice on bailiff law also to be regulated.

With the proliferation of web based advice and consumer forums,

I believe that there may be a role in setting and maintaining standards wherever consumers are asked to pay for advice on dealing with debt enforcement.

John Kruse

debt & money trainer & consultant, author

No Probs WD moved as requested

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Definitely needed, some form of Regulator, might not suit the likes of Capita, they would probably lobby against it. Bohill would be unhappy also, as the programme dicussed on here might have been referred to the Regulator if there was on, as evidence of unlawful actions during Enforcement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

It seems to me that there are some organisations already in place to oversee things, but they are either not being used, or if being used, the organisation is not acting. There appear so many people in breach of the law at present, intentionally or unintentionally. Here's a couple of examples:

1. A business which charges for advice, holding and processing data without being DPA registered - this is something which could, and should be cracked down on immediately as the ICO is already in place.

2. A business which charges for advice, where the advice (or elements thereof) rightly falls under the remit of the Financial Conduct Authority - it is easy to fall foul of this, and anyone found to be in breach should be reported and penalised appropriately (now define appropriately).

3. A very basic thing, which should have been mentioned under No.1 - When I was DPA registered, I had to ensure that security to the information about people held on my computer met a certain standard - one which went quite a way beyond a simple password. At that stage I held data in encrypted vaults using what was then fairly expensive software. How many data controllers operating a small business giving bailiff advice on the Internet or over the phone have this sort of security, so if a burglar steals the equipment, they cannot access personal information? This would include things like Outlook being fully secured if enquiries come in via email, phone lines and answering systems being secured somehow if queries come on over the phone etc... etc... etc.... Another one for the ICO. Also, just because you may not have to be registered with the ICO does not mean you do not have to comply with the DPA.

So two large organisations, with teeth, which can already deal with breaches.

The separate issue is one enforcement companies, enforcement agents and companies, or small businesses offering advice. This, in theory, would be very much welcomed by all, and the independent regulation of 'the bailiff industry' is long overdue.

In terms of the 'advice' side of the industry, it is fraught with difficulties. We see arguments arising on here from differing, but entirely legal and accurate interpretations of legislation. Any official body would need to be flexible enough to accommodate these differing opinions, and apply penalties accordingly.

Personally, I'd crack down in a major way on ensuring existing organisations (the ICO and FCA) do their job properly, and ensuring those giving advice are, where necessary, registered with these bodies. I'd look to set up an independent body overseeing all bailiffs and bailiff companies (I'm using old language!) If these steps were taken, I think we'd see a big difference.

After this, we look to proper, rigorous training, certification and compulsory CPD for anyone charging for advice, along with regular re-certification and possibly some sort of inspection system - good luck to whoever tries to tackle this one. The basics for the ICO and FCA already exist though. Ensuring requirements for those are complied with in full would be a good start.

Without any real depth of thought, these are a very brief version of my initial views of this complex area. I could write all day long about almost any aspect of these, but will save you the tedium!

Edited by Andyorch
edited

I would be surprised if John Kruse has just left such an open-ended conclusion to an article. Did he come up with what he thought should happen, and if so, what does he think?

Is there any chance of you posting the outdated article from 2011 as well please?

I would be surprised if John Kruse has just left such an open-ended conclusion to an article. Did he come up with what he thought should happen, and if so, what does he think?

Is there any chance of you posting the outdated article from 2011 as well please?

The article was sent to me via Linkedin and I copied and pasted it here for discussion, I do not have the 2011 article.

I see a problem. Evidence!

In many cases of complaint, there is no video or audio to back up what has been claimed so it's a case of he said, she said. this is most unsatisfactory. I don't now if ALL EA's have to wear a body worn camera or not but even so, how many times would these cameras 'malfunction'?

While an overseer (of some sort) could collate the amount of complaints against a company to see if there is a pattern of abuse, this could fall foul of the FMOTL lot who would encourage everyone to make a complaint. This would clog up the system and genuine cases may get overlooked due to amount of false complaints.

So, a good idea in principle but enforcing will be one big uphill struggle.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

There was much discussion between the candidates when the act was passed back in 2007, much of which would still be applicable today.

It may be worth looking at some of the reason that their applications where unsuccessful at the time.

Many of us were in favor of a new and completely independent regulator being created, but there were prohibitive costs implication I believe.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

There was much discussion between the candidates when the act was passed back in 2007, much of which would still be applicable today.

It may be worth looking at some of the reason that their applications where unsuccessful at the time.

Many of us were in favor of a new and completely independent regulator being created, but there were prohibitive costs implication I believe.

Was that a regulatory authority for bailiffs, or was it to include the advice sector as well?

I do think elements of the advice sector are covered by the ICO and FCA as stated, and will look into this more. There may well be some who offer online advice with regards to bailiff matters and/or offer a charged for telephone consultation who clearly fall foul of these immediately. If they are in breach, or suspected to be in breach, clearly they should be reported.

An independent regulatory authority for bailiffs themselves would be great, though I suppose there is the EAC2 for fitness to hold a certificate, and courts for anything in breach of legislation.

Edited by Andyorch
edited inserted with regards to

WD, it was clear to me when reading this thread that the 'discussion' was concerning whether or not the enforcement industry should be 'regulated'.

Since the regulations were amended, a lot of improvements have been made. There has been a 'One Year' review, and analysts are continuing to monitor the regulations. Changes have not been made, and it is generally now assumed that any such changes will not take place until the full 3 year review early next year. I am hoping that the appointment today of a new Justice Minister will not delay this procedure.

As I have said a number of times, the fees that may be charged by an enforcement agent are based on the figures that had originally been proposed by an economist almost 7 years ago and despite the government pledging that fees would be reviewed each year, they have not as yet been increased. That in itself must be good news for all debtors.

To my mind, the Local Government Ombudsman are perfectly well able to deal with complaints and they do a very good job and seem to fully understand the enforcement regulations. I have frequently posted copies of decision from them on this section of the forum.

It was the Ombudsman decisions that you have posted previously, made me post John Kruse's latest comments. While the LGO do deal with complaints to the best of their ability the process does tend to get bogged down, perhaps John has a point when he says an 'independent regulation of 'the bailiff industry' is long overdue'

Here we go again.....another day another thread.....off topic posts removed.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

With total respect this article is to do with two areas. It's to do with regulation of the enforcement industry and those giving paid advice regarding it.

"I would propose, too, that this regulation is not limited to enforcement agents and agencies.

I suggest that there would be a useful function for all parties (not just debtors) for those offering advice on bailiff law also to be regulated." (John Kruse)

Yes the regulator would regulate the TCE, any other problems would be refereed to the individual regulatory bodies as they are now of course.

I am not sure I agree about the independent regulator though. I think public confidence issues alone would justify some kind of independent regulator.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Yes the regulator would regulate the TCE, any other problems would be refereed to the individual regulatory bodies as they are now of course.

I am not sure I agree about the independent regulator though. I think public confidence issues alone would justify some kind of independent regulator.

I agree entirely.

Changed...please read your PM I have sent you.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thankfully, I have a rather 'odd' filing system whereby, if I have a document or notes that I want to ensure that I do not lose, I send a copy to home email address. I looked a few moments ago, and found my notes from a 2012 meeting when the subject of a 'independent regulator' was being consulted upon. I have emailed a copy to you. I am sure that this may bring back some memories of the early discussions surrounding this important subject !!!

Thankfully, I have a rather 'odd' filing system whereby, if I have a document or notes that I want to ensure that I do not lose, I send a copy to home email address. I looked a few moments ago, and found my notes from a 2012 meeting when the subject of a 'independent regulator' was being consulted upon. I have emailed a copy to you. I am sure that this may bring back some memories of the early discussions surrounding this important subject !!!

Yes it does, I had forgotten all about it, i do not think that meeting ever took place, at least never in the public domain. Thanks for the accompanying upto date info also.

Yes it does, I had forgotten all about it, i do not think that meeting ever took place, at least never in the public domain. Thanks for the accompanying upto date info also.

Naturally the meeting took place, but what you have, is my notes which are a excellent reminder as to the reason why the government felt that an independent regulator would not be necessary. The Security Industry Authority had initially been the preferred choice, but when their status changed in 2010, the plans were shelved. The government's preferred option was to implement Part 3 of TCE.

Naturally the meeting took place, but what you have, is my notes which are a excellent reminder as to the reason why the government felt that an independent regulator would not be necessary. The Security Industry Authority had initially been the preferred choice, but when their status changed in 2010, the plans were shelved. The government's preferred option was to implement Part 3 of TCE.

D|id it, remember all the argument about who to invite and what the agenda would be but do not remember an actual minuted meeting, I remember that the BPA were also a candidate at one time. The SIA were as you say a front runner.

Ah I see you are refering to much later , i was refering to when the act was enacted.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks