Right then...it's my first time

Eoin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, I'm new here and am just getting started on claiming money back from HSBC. I could do with a little advice...:)

Firstly; my charges date back to August 2001 and come to a grand total of £1079 - I have gleaned all my info on them from online statements. I presume I am then ready to go with my preliminary approach letter? Is there any point in me sending an SAR - will the response include any info I am unable to see in my online statements?

Secondly; I've decided not to bother adding interest to my claim; it's reasonably minimal and rather fiddly to work out. Does this prejudice things against me? Is the bank unlikely to take me seriously if I claim simply for charges without interest (and I'm not referring to the 8%)?

Thirdly; will a printed sheet detailing date, charge amount and reason for charge be acceptable as a schedule or do I need something more impressive?

Finally; are there any winners out there who can tell me if HSBC are the types to go closing my account if I get my money back? I'm going to see if I can open another account tomorrow but, frankly, would rather not...will if I have to though. Thoughts?

Thanks for listening, I have looked elsewhere on the forum for answers to the above but would like help specific to HSBC...I also get a bit overwhelmed by info, so may have missed what I'm looking for - I'll keep you updated on this.

Cheers,

Eoin

Guest peed orf

Hi Eoin,

1st, probably not, if you got all your charges it'll just waste time!

2nd, there's not many of us that have botherd with the interest, because it is fiddley.

3rd, there is a spreadsheet availible here. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/6964-spreadsheet-interest.html

nice and easy, put the type of charge, amount and date, and the interest is done for you.

When I sent my Prelim. I copied the file, then right click, "clear contents" to get rid of the no. of days, and the 8% int, that saved doing it twice!

4th, not sure, as I've only just started on HSBC.

Good Luck.

It's my understanding that HSBC very rarely close accounts. Mine is still open and I got all my money back.

They only seem to be closing accounts if you go about making a second claim.

Dani

Thanks for the info there - much appreciated!

Two final questions before I mail off my letter later today;

1. Using the spreadsheet I have listed the charges as the bank have listed them on my account - in most cases simply "Total Charges". Is this acceptable or should I go into more detail, like "Charges for exceeding overdraft limit" or somesuch? I'm thinking it's alright as it is - as that's how the bank listed them, but I do want to be sure.

2. Should I send my initial letter recorded delivery? And, frankly, who should I send it to? Canada Square or my Account Holding branch? It seems there's split opinion on this...

Cheers again!

Eoin

1. This is fine - just write what the bank has listed them down as.

2. I sent mine recorded delivery - but I don't think it really matters too much. Either one will do, your account holding branch will probably just forward it on to the relevant person anyway. Might be best sending it to Canada Square - cut out the middle man!

Dani

• 2 weeks later...

Right - not a peep in response to my prelim letter (not that I'm surprised) so it's time for the LBA.

Now, a quick question - I move house on Friday; should I instruct all correspondence to be issued to my new address or should I simply leave things as they are (I'm having my mail redirected by the post office) Is a change of address in the middle of everything likely to prejudice my claim?

All help appreciated!

Eoin

Also, I've incurred another £25 charge (as of today - somewhat ironically it's my first in nearly a year). I've added it into my schedule of charges and am wondering if I should change this line from the LBA

"I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 14/11/2006."

As the schedule is now updated should I write this instead? (adjustments in bold)

"I am enclosing an copy of the schedule - updated to reflect new charges - of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 14/112006."

It may be a stupid question but I don't want to give them any grounds to monkey about with me...

Cheers!

Eoin

Now, a quick question - I move house on Friday; should I instruct all correspondence to be issued to my new address or should I simply leave things as they are (I'm having my mail redirected by the post office) Is a change of address in the middle of everything likely to prejudice my claim?

I think if it were me I would type up my letter dated for Friday, showing new address, and also pointing out in the letter that you have changed address, and post it when the move has taken place. The move won't prejudice your claim, and when/if you issue court proceedings your new address will be on the court documents.

"I am enclosing a revised copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. This has been updated since the schedule sent with my letter of 14/11/2006, to include the latest charges applied."

see above for suggested wording

• 1 month later...

Ok, sent off the LBA and should have started claim on December 20th - unfortunately a lack of internet access and other circumstances made this impossible. However, I am now ready to begin but...I received this yesterday from HSBC:

"Dear Mr Sanders,

Thank you for your letter dated 14th November 2006 concerning your request for a refund of bank charges. I apologise for not yet having fully completed my investigation.

I will contact you again by 10 January 2007 and expect to be able to provide you with a full response at that time.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you for your patience and enclose a copy of our leaflet" etc. etc.

Should I just proceed with my mcol claim (as I'm inclined to do) or is there any reason why I should wait for him to contact me again? As far as I can see I've given them more than enough time (legally anyway - two letters and 14 days response time on each) and this strikes me as a delaying tactic. Nevertheless, I thought I'd seek your opinions!

Eoin

yes show them who's writing the timetable here! anyway I think I've only seen one pre-action offer of the full amount before. in all other cases they knock you down by about 10% so unless you would be happy with 90% you won't be missing much by not waiting.

Getting into it now!

ONe question for you all - who are you claiming against? HSBC? One of their people? I've had a look round the site and can't seem to find the specific info there...

• 2 weeks later...

A question folks - the day after I started the mcol I received a part payment offer from HSBC (£877 - my original claim was for £1079 but that has now increased with the mcol to £1492). Since I've already started my claim I obviously won't be accepting their offer. Is there any protocol to the reply I should send? I've seen the template letter for rejecting part payment, but is there any more I should be adding given the fact that the mcol has already begun? Also, in the particulars of claim on my mcol it says that the claimant will send another schedule of charges to the bank - is there a standard form letter that goes with that or am I able to combine the rejection of their offer and the resending of schedule?