Lost phone not covered by insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I started a new contract with T-Mobile in August buying a Vario II on Flext 35 with insurance from Fonesafe. A couple of weeks ago I lost my phone in a club, I reported the loss to the police and had the phone blocked by T-Mobile.

After having the phone blocked I called Fonesafe who asked me how the phone was lost, I told them I couldnt remember but it may have been in the cloakroom. Apparently this is not covered under the policy as I was told on the phone and by post "Your handset was left unattended in a building or public place and this is not covered by your policy".

Obviously I have made a stupid mistake here and given the insurance company too much information, does anyone know if I have any chance of appealing the decision? I did not state that the phone was unattended but said it was a possibility, if I remember this was not the case can I change my initial claim?

This phone ins is crap - my OH had his stolen in Majorca from hotel room with a load of other stuff - and other people did as well - suspect was the cleaners who had access obviously - ins wouldn't pay up as the room lock was not broken. Even though we reported it to polcie in spain and hotel suspended staff and wrote a report.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

• 6 months later...

On what grounds do you wish to appeal the decision?

Why do you think the insurance company are wrong in not considering your claim?

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

I am afraid it is pointless appealing against this decision, if you wish to appeal on the basis that it might not have been left in the cloakroom.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

This post has been deleted.

We do not condone fraud in any form on this site.

Rooster-UK.

But of course this is a change of story, and if this is not how it actually hapenned - fraud.

In any case the Insurance Company could throw the entire claim out on the basis of breach of utmost good faith, and possibly void the policy from the date of the claim.

Your Choice

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 1 year later...

I have a contract, in my name , for my sons phone as he is not 18. I do not insure the handsets of my wife or my own. When I was negotiating the upgrade of my sons phone I was offered insurance, I quite clearly told the agent that the phone was for my son.

Yesterday my son lost his phone, when I phoned fonesafe this morning I was told the claim was being rejected because he wasn t a registered user. I have checked this in their t&c and it appears to be correct.

However when I was being sold this 'insurance' I clearly told the agent that the phone was for my son s use. Fonesafe say that T mobile didn t pass this information on to them and that it was my responsibility to do so. Surely T mobile operate as an ' agent' for fonesafe an as such fonesafe as 'principal are responsible for the actions of their ' agents'.

Anyway the outcome at the moment is, I have got a useless insurance policy for which I have lost all of the premiums and a contract with T mobile that is worthless unless I fork our more ££££s for a new phone.

I have complained to T mobile customer relations and to Trading Standards

I would have been better off saving the premiums in a high interest account to pay for this sort of mishap. I am sure that this is the case with a lot of these 'insurances'.Thinking about it if I had saved all of the premiums I had paid for various insurances over the years, that I have never claimed on, I would have a quite healthy bank balance

Edited by Mark26
spelling

I have today received a call from T mobile customer relations apologizing for the misunderstanding and offering to send a replacement handset, they have waived delivery charges and replacement sim card charges. I only have to pay them £25.00 the same as what my excess would have been under the insurance policy. They pointed out that it was a goodwill gesture by T mobile and not the insurers. They thanked me for the complaint and said that they would look at training issues re: the selling of insurance even though the registering of users was in their training manual it was obviously a point that needed highlighting. They have promised to deliver a new handset tomorrow.

A good result for me personally but its still T mobile paying instead of the insurer that happily took the premiums

I have today received a call from T mobile customer relations apologizing for the misunderstanding and offering to send a replacement handset, they have waived delivery charges and replacement sim card charges. I only have to pay them £25.00 the same as what my excess would have been under the insurance policy. They pointed out that it was a goodwill gesture by T mobile and not the insurers. They thanked me for the complaint and said that they would look at training issues re: the selling of insurance even though the registering of users was in their training manual it was obviously a point that needed highlighting. They have promised to deliver a new handset tomorrow.

A good result for me personally but its still T mobile paying instead of the insurer that happily took the premiums

...and rightly so Mark!

T-mobile should have acted on the information you provided.

What you have done is "fronted" the policy. This is more usual when, for example, a father states that he his the main user of the vehicle and not his son in order to obtain a cheaper premium.

What you have done is much more serious and obtained an insurance contract for someone who is not even entitled to it!

With luck, T-Mobile made a big mistake here and things fell in your favour!

Sorry Davie but I don t agree , The phone contract and the insurance are iin my name and as such my responsibility for bills and any misuse of the phone due to theft/loss etc and that is why the policy was in my name , however I informed T mobile that I was not the main user. I have two contracts with T mobile, I can only use one phone at a time and therefore I have not 'fronted' an insurance policy. I have a contracted phone for my son s use which I pay for and an insurance policy for that phone which is my responsibility.

Car insurance is a legal requirement and there is no such thing as cheaper insurance you just get less cover. It is wrong to compare an Insurance policy in this way. If a father misleads an insurance company to gain cheaper premiums for his son, then he may be covered in if he gets stopped by Police but if a claim is made and rejected it could have serious implications for any third party involved in an accident with the 'insured' I refuse to accept that insuring my own phone and contract is more serious than mis leading an insurance company when insuring a vehicle which could maim and kill

I hope this clears this up for you

Edited by Mark26

...and rightly so Mark!

T-mobile should have acted on the information you provided.

What you have done is "fronted" the policy. This is more usual when, for example, a father states that he his the main user of the vehicle and not his son in order to obtain a cheaper premium.

What you have done is much more serious and obtained an insurance contract for someone who is not even entitled to it!

With luck, T-Mobile made a big mistake here and things fell in your favour!

Well that is some of the biggest load of nonsense that I haver seen on here or elsewhere for that matter.

I have 4 phones on contract all in my name but used by individual members of my family. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone doing this and is entirely legal. I suggest you stop spouting rubbish and get your facts right in future.