TruGym & Harlands

Dipso10

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Spent sometime reading through a number of posts and get the general gist about Harlands, however I just wanted to add my daughters story to the mix and make sure we are dealing with this correctly.

1. She joined the gym on on the 19-05-2016, at no point in this process was she given a view of the T&C's

2. A welcome email was sent but this did not advise when the DD would be taken out

3. On 02-06-2016 they attempted to take the monthly fee out but the DD failed (She is a student so money is sometimes tight)

4. On 13-06-2016 they attempted to take the monthly fee and an admin fee which also failed.

5. An email was received on the 15-06-2016 advising they would take money out on the 13th (Yes 2 days late)

We are now getting letters with the usual Debt collection agency etc.. which so far have been ignored.

The DD and the GYM membership have now both been cancelled (today - 1st time I was aware of the situation).

I think at worst we would be liable for 3 months membership (19-05-2016 - 19-08-2016) bearing in mind the 30 days notice period.

Hi Dipso and welcome to CAG

Q. Did Harlands manage to take any money at all from YD, or did she cancel the DD before Harlands abused it to take their unlawful admin fees.

Make sure YD does NOT answer any calls from Harlands/CRS. If they call her, she should tell them, "If you have anything to say, put it in writing." , then hang up.

I note your comments in 1. and 2. above but that info would normally be included in the DD bank mandate and T&C's that members sign. Did YD sign up in the gym or do it online at home, or elsewhere.

From what you've told us, YD won't be liable for 3 months fees but I'll comment further when you answer my Q above.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick and thanks for the prompt response.

I don't think any money has been taken out of the account based on the fact that since the 1st attempt the money they have tried to take out has increased and the funds won't have been in the account.

She signed up at the Gym but this was still done on the internet at the gym, according to the conversation I had with her the reception at the GYM scrolled to be bottom of the T&C's and asked her to sign the screen (This had to be done with a mouse, so I doubt the signature bears any resemblance to her actual signature)

I did ask her about the DD mandate as i agree with you that's normally when you would advise when the money should be taken but she doesn't seem to be aware that any date was agreed, however I will check with her again.

Bit more information from daughter

When you cancel the gym membership you have to do it online, she has had the following email response from the gym.

Hi ...

Sorry you have been experiencing problems with your payment. To cancel you will need to pay what is owed on the account.

I have contacted Harlands and asked them to remove the late fee. If you call them after Wed you will be able to make payment so they can close your account.

Etc...

I have advised her not to call them although she did email back and ask what the account balance was.

I have told her not to contact the gym any more

Thanks

Hi Dipso,

Before we decide how to deal with this, does YD want to remain a member at the gym if Trugym get Harlands to remove their admin fees.

Or would she rather forget the m/ship as she's unable to pay it each month reliably and avoid late payment/bounced DD fees.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick

She's isn't worried about retaining membership, as you say she may not be able to reliably make sure the money is available in her account.

Hi Dipso,

Thanks for this.

I think YD needs to write to Harlands and say that she is not prepared to continue with the gym agreement when Harlands are likely to use it to take admin fees if a payment fails in the future.

Do you want help drafting this ?