BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1359 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

HI,

I wonder if anyone could advise me. I'm dealing with a very tricky situation with the local authority in which my husband and i leased a pub.

To cut a long story short my husband passed away and i ended up giving back the pub to the brewery. I am now sorting out all of the residual debts left behind (mainly from the brewery) one of which appears to be council tax for the property we leased.

I pay council tax on my own home which my husband and i shared. We never lived at the pub as we didn't want to and becaus the living accommodation was very poor and not big enough for our family. The pub was unoccupied other than the customres obviously.

They had not applied SBRR which i have now sorted and got down to £800 for the year but they are saying i owe £1100 in council tax - surely i can't be liable to pay for council tax on a property i have never resided in - i thought business rates was what that was for, it doesn't seem fair :(

If anyone could tell me legally whether this is correct i'd be much obliged, obviously iff it is it will just be another amount i will have to try and find every month on top of my own :(

Shell

HI,

I wonder if anyone could advise me. I'm dealing with a very tricky situation with the local authority in which my husband and i leased a pub.

To cut a long story short my husband passed away and i ended up giving back the pub to the brewery. I am now sorting out all of the residual debts left behind (mainly from the brewery) one of which appears to be council tax for the property we leased.

I pay council tax on my own home which my husband and i shared. We never lived at the pub as we didn't want to and becaus the living accommodation was very poor and not big enough for our family. The pub was unoccupied other than the customres obviously.

They had not applied SBRR which i have now sorted and got down to £800 for the year but they are saying i owe £1100 in council tax - surely i can't be liable to pay for council tax on a property i have never resided in - i thought business rates was what that was for, it doesn't seem fair :(

If anyone could tell me legally whether this is correct i'd be much obliged, obviously iff it is it will just be another amount i will have to try and find every month on top of my own :(

Shell

The council tax charge depends on which local authority, the time period and the whether was furnished or not.

I've recently dealt with a client in a similar situation.

Craig