Jump to content


HPI- License plate 'at risk' on the security watch register


Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1689 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi all, hope you can shed some light on this issue I am facing currently,

 

2 months ago I bought a second hand car from a local car dealer,

I did a HPI check prior and it showed outstanding finance on the car

 

 

I rang up both the car dealer and HPI to query it and I was told by both that it is a 'unit stocking' finance

and it is commonly used by most car dealers to stock up cars on their forecourt and the finance would be paid off automatically within 2-3 days of purchase

 

 

I went ahead and bought the car for above the average price due to it being in pristine condition with low miles etc..

I only realized recently that I still hadn't received the new V5 logbook in my name

 

 

tried to ring the car dealer to see if they had forgotten to send of the old V5 to DVLA.

After trying numerous times to get hold them I had no luck,

they wouldn't answer their phones or no replies for emails etc,

tried to go on their website and it was down too!

 

 

I got very suspicious and did another HPI check on the car

to my shock the vehicle Registration was showing 'at risk' on the security watch register!

however it was not showing outstanding finance.

 

 

I rang HPI and was told the security register was made by the financial company for whatever reason

and gave me their contact number.

I still haven't contacted them because I am seriously worried they could repossess the car.

 

My question to you guys are

 

 

should I mention about the HPI check I did prior to purchase or am I better off not mentioning it?

my worry is they could say to me why did I buy the car if I knew there was outstanding finance on it?

will the 'innocent consumer' rights be thrown out?

 

if the 'unit stocking' finance on the car is still outstanding

will the finance company chase after the purchaser or the car dealer?

and what happens of the car dealer had gone bust?

 

The car dealer at the time had many cars advertised on autotrader and even more on their website

there was no reason for me to believe about their credibility or reputation.

I have the receipt of purchase and the payment was made with a Visa debit card.

 

If you guys could please advise me the best option I should proceed with I would be very grateful!

 

Kind regards

 

Ri.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need get in contact with Trading Standards about this car dealer. If you paid the market rate to a dealer on the basis they would deal with the HPI and DVLA registration, then i think it should be the dealer responsible for sorting this out.

 

Not sure on the legal side, hopefully others on CAG will advise. Trading Standards will come across this on a daily basis and will be able to advise you of your rights.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

 

 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

 

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah will defenetley report this dealer to TS.

 

I am guessing the reason financial company still hasn't got hold of me is due to the fact the old V5 with new keepers details hasn't been sent off to DVLA.

 

I am in two minds now when I contact the financial company whether to be honest and mention about the HPI I did prior to purchase or not to mention it at all..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah will defenetley report this dealer to TS.

 

I am guessing the reason financial company still hasn't got hold of me is due to the fact the old V5 with new keepers details hasn't been sent off to DVLA.

 

I am in two minds now when I contact the financial company whether to be honest and mention about the HPI I did prior to purchase or not to mention it at all..

 

You need to resolve ownership urgently, as i believe you are currently breaking the law in regard to notifying DVLA, that you are the new keeper and have the car at your address.

 

If you visit the Trading Standards website, you will see a helpline run by Citizens Advice. They can refer this to Trading Standards for you, if necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

 

 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

 

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

just an update and it's all good news! I spoke to the finance company and they asked me to forward the receipt of purchase and bank statements, 2 days later I got a call saying all is clear and the HPI has been updated. Due to confidentiality the wouldn't reveal any details of the 'risk' but I was told it had 'something to do with the previous owner'. So all in all i am a relieved man and I urge everyone to carry out a FULL HPI check before purchase and save all these hassles.

 

much appreciate your inputs!

 

Ri.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Thanks for the update at least that part is sorted now have you dealt with getting the V5 sorted with DVLA?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sent off the V62 application along with V5C/2 slip to DVLA a week ago, it could take up to 4 weeks to receive the new V5 document.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...