• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• I'm on a Covid run all this week, for some reason I thought it would be quite easy, starts in St Andrews then Dundee, Perth, Stirling, Cumbernauld then Glasgow over 200 miles. I drop of empty Test boxes and collect the ones that are ready to go to the Labs for results.   Every Testing Station today said they had not been very busy over the weekend, it was quite nice weather over the weekend which is more than likely the reason for the lack of numbers.
    • Credit file: One account(showing balance of £0 due) for main line showing missed payments from December 2020 (when the contract itself was terminated in August 2020). One account(showing loan of £204 due) for second line showing as being in default since November 2020. As a result of these my credit score has gone down-this is due directly to these two accounts which showed on my credit report as a 'negative factor'   Credit disadvantage: When my Virgin contract ended, I attempted to take up a new contract with another company. I was prevented from doing so at Vodafone as they required a deposit of £150, plus I would not be entitled to the free handset, but would have had to pay £179 for it and the monthly payments would be increasd. I was able to take out a handset at Three, but again instead of being entitled to it free, I had to pay £189 for it.   I will check carefully to estimate the amount of time involved-I have queries going back to October 2019 attempting to deal with this.   I have also received from Virgin another letter giving me the password to unlock the files they sent me(shame it doesn't actually work) and a second email again confirming they will erase my data unless they have to keep it.   I'm wondering if they're planning to use that email as their response for the ICO where he gave them until March 11 to either tell me what they are going to do to put things right or explain why they believe they have met their data protection obligations'?      
    • “We want to get Amigo back to life again” – CEO’s statement as lender posts £87m loss View the full article
    • My case is adjourned to this Month. I'm about to send out my Supplementary Witness Statement. Could someone please check if the following is efficient? My court cost is now over £1000 as it was adjourned 3 times  Thanks!   Supplementary Witness Statement to address the new case exhibits introduced at the hearing on 10 November 2020   VCS v Ward  1.       This case is often quoted by the claimant as assisting their case. However in this instance it actually assists mine. It is contended that the act of stopping a vehicle does not amount to parking. This predatory operation pays no regard to the byelaws at all. It is likely that this Claimant may try to rely upon two 'trophy case' wins, namely VCS v Crutchley and/or VCS v Ward, neither of which were at an Airport location. Both involve flawed reasoning and the Courts were wrongly steered by this Claimant's representative; there are worrying errors in law within those cases, such as an irrelevant reliance upon the completely different Supreme Court case. These are certainly not the persuasive decisions that this Claimant may suggest.  Semark-Jullien Case  2.       Whilst it is known that another case that was struck out on the same basis was appealed to Salisbury Court (the Semark-Jullien case), the parking industry did not get any finding one way or the other about the illegality of adding the same costs twice. The Appeal Judge merely pointed out that he felt that insufficient information was known about the Semark-Jullien facts of the case (the Defendant had not engaged with the process and no evidence was in play, unlike in the Crosby case) and so the Judge listed it for a hearing and felt that case (alone) should not have been summarily struck out due to a lack of any facts and evidence.  3.       The Judge at Salisbury correctly identified as an aside, that costs were not added in the Beavis case. That is because this had already been addressed in ParkingEye's earlier claim, the pre-Beavis High Court (endorsed by the Court of Appeal) case ParkingEye v Somerfield  a. (ref para 419): https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2011/4023.html  ''It seems to me that, in the present case, it would be difficult for ParkingEye to justify, as against any motorist, a claim for payment of the enhanced sum of £135 if the motorist took the point that the additional £60 over and above the original figure of £75 constituted a penalty. It might be possible for ParkingEye to show that the additional administrative costs involved were substantial, though I very much doubt whether they would be able to justify this very large increase on that basis. On the face of it, it seems to me that the predominant contractual function of this additional payment must have been to deter the motorist from breaking his contractual obligation to pay the basic charge of £75 within the time specified, rather than to compensate ParkingEye for late payment. Applying the formula adopted by Colman J. in the Lordsvale case, therefore, the additional £60 would appear to be penal in nature; and it is well established that, in those circumstances, it cannot be recovered, though the other party would have at least a theoretical right to damages for breach of the primary obligation.''  
    • I'm ready to reject Hermes offer and issue the letter before claim. I've registered on the MCOL website and filled in my claim with the below particulars.   Should I tick the box to send the particulars directly to the defendant?   Should I also tick the box for the right to claim interest. If so do what date would I put for when the money became owed,  what is daily rate of interest up to the date of judgment?    Thanks again      
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Mortgages - Paratus and blemain did mislead my father over sale?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1617 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My elderly father in law has recently been sent to a care home with dementia.

we think he started getting ill around 2 years ago when he sold his house.

He owed £19k on a £200k property and panicked as he was getting possession letters

he sold the house for £140k but the mortgage company only give him £48k from the sale

the rest was taken up in mortgage fees for god knows what.

He then moved into a rented bungalow.

We have found all this out from his neighbour and found paper work to confirm this

but we haven't got all the accounts on the payment history.

My partner and his father had a bit of a falling out and become distant for a few years

so we've only recently found out what's been going on.

We think that he must have been ill at the time when he sold the property and been taken advantage of.

We regret not being there for him when he needed us but he pushed everyone away.

His affairs have been put in the hands of a solicitor from the social worker he had.

Can someone give any advice on what to do next.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Angnnig

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you or anyone an exec?

you could SAR the mortgage company

and anyone else and get all the details...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

are you or anyone an exec?

you could SAR the mortgage company

and anyone else and get all the details...

Hi Dx, thanks for your reply.

I have spoken to my partner and it was an early redemption fee of £113k ,

he is not the executor as the solicitor was appointed in his absence ,

can my partner still SAR the mortgage company as his dad is not well enough due to dementia.

I was misinformed by my partner it was £173k not £140k on the sale price

Regards

Angnnig

send it as his dad

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if push comes to shove, get him to simply sign the sar

but I doubt it will come to that

you could always also include a signed letter from dad that allows permission for XXX to deal with his financial matters..

gotta agree looks like he has been done over.

who was the mortgage with....

i'd guess but i'd hate to be proved right

begins with K or G or one of their sub primes...

dx

and they

An early redemption fee is often in the mortgage contract but is just that

and normally would expire after the first 2 or 3 years of the mortgage (I think mine was a 6% charge).

After that you would just redeem the mortgage for want of a better word "normally".

It certainly does look like he has been well and truly done.

If he was getting possession letters they will have been adding fees for everything and then some.

You really do need that SAR

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Many thanks for all your advice.

I've taken A photo of the mortgage details and fees.

Will get on with the SAR right away.

Not sure if his dad will be well enough to sign it or whether it will count anyway with him having dementia

so we're just going to act as its his dad.

Just wondering how to post the mortgage details up on here.

Kind regards

Angnnig

pdf the photo redact it then attach it

follow upload

and they

god you couldn't of picked worse companies for fleecing people

and they

You certainly need the Paratus mortgage statements so SAR them.

You could SAR Blemain too

Who are Gaskells? Leaseholders?

what are the removals?

The rest seems pretty standard

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. Gaskells are the leaseholders & landlords of the rented property dad moved into after the house sale. The removal company were organised by gaskells to do the house move for him.

Kind regards

Angnnig

Ok thankyou, seems to be above board then, what do you know about the the blemain loan? Wondering if its worth a SAR considering a relatively low amount?

Definately a SAR to parasitus tho

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

def 2*SAR's

if you search cag top red toolbar for

Paratus

you'll se they were one of the very worst ever mortgage lenders

dx

and they

They are bad aren't they , He took the mortgage out 25 years ago so probably didn't come to light how bad they were then. When I receive the statements , is there anything other than late payment charges I need to look for. Thanks

Regards

Angnnig

Paratus used to be GMAC RFC, so that is probably who the original lender was. Apparently the name was changed due to the terrible reputation GMAC had.............

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

They are bad aren't they , He took the mortgage out 25 years ago so probably didn't come to light how bad they were then. When I receive the statements , is there anything other than late payment charges I need to look for. Thanks

Regards

Angnnig

you prob find all manner of extra insurances like

building, contents, life, ppi etc etc.

the only thing that must be in-place is buildings

if it wasn't already covered.

you can prob reclaim the lot!

dx

and they

Paratus used to be GMAC RFC, so that is probably who the original lender was. Apparently the name was changed due to the terrible reputation GMAC had.............

Hi Ellen , Thanks for the info, there sneaky sods, they shouldn't be able to get away with it. How are you doing , hope all is well. I remember you helped with our old mortgage company capstone :-)

Hi Ellen , Thanks for the info, there sneaky sods, they shouldn't be able to get away with it. How are you doing , hope all is well. I remember you helped with our old mortgage company capstone :-)

Hi angnnig - I remember your case too - Capstone are another terrible company as you are well aware :(

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 1 month later...

Hi to you all. We've had a response from Paratus. They've sent the SAR on disc and am a bit baffled by some legal jargon. Think it would be easier if I post the letter on here, just to make sure it's all above board. Any help with this much appreciated.

Regards

Angnnig