Jump to content


style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1166 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Many thanks in advance for all advice!

 

The situation is as follows:

 

In February this year, my brother informed me that he couldn't cope with dealing with his local council regarding his council tax arrears (he has been suffering from extensive serious health problems, which have also affected his mental capabilities).

 

His problems regarding council tax initially began when a direct debit payment was refused.

The council were asked to set up a new direct debit, but instead repeatedly tried to collect on the old one.

 

Eventually, my brother contacted me to try and help.

 

To this end, I contacted the council and explained the situation. I also enclosed relevant permission from my brother authorising me to deal with the matter on his behalf.

 

Eventually, I received a reply (after a two-week wait) requesting further information and my suggestions regarding payment.

 

I replied by email, giving further details of health problems and the opinion that, given the circumstances, he should be classed as a vulnerable person.

 

I also proposed payments of £100/month to cover the arrears of £700, rising in April to £200/month, the extra £100 to pay towards his 2016/17 liability.

 

He has been paying this amount regularly and has not missed a payment.

 

No reply has been received from the council regarding my proposal, despite payments being made in anticipation of the offer being acceptable to them.

 

Now my brother has informed me that the council have sent him a court summons for the entire sum plus costs for 2016/17, the liability order hearing to take place on 11/07/2016.

 

He is obviously extremely upset by all this.

 

I have submitted a SAR to the council in order to try to find out what has been happening.

 

Should I (or could I) apply to the court for an adjournment, given the disputed outstanding sum and the ongoing SAR?

 

Any advice very gratefully received!

 

Many thanks,

George.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would apply for an adjournment on the grounds that the council were aware of the issue and you were waiting for them to get back to you. Telephone them up if you can, get the persons name and on a separate issue inform them that you wish to put in an official complaint and see how it goes from there..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...