HELP with Napier Parking Ticket Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago I visited Willen Lake in Milton Keynes. I've never been there before.

I drove in the car park to go the the gym/spa and saw what I thought was an off road next to the gym.

I looked at the entrance to this road and there were no parking signs so I assumed a parking ticket was not necessary.

When I returned to my car I found I had a ticket for £45.

I then looked around and saw two parking signs nearby.

I have chosen to ignore the ticket

have received 3 letters so far

with the last one saying I now owe £80,

I can't appeal and they will take me to court if I don't pay.

Should I pay the fine?

Or should I try to appeal on the basis that it wasn't obvious that I needed to pay

due to lack of signs at the entrance to the road?

Or should I carry on ignoring it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Certainly don't pay anything until the guys here have talked to you about your case. The chances are you don't owe anything anyway.

A couple of things though, private parking companies can't issue fines, they usually call them Parking Charge Notices. We call them speculative invoices. :)

And does the letter say they 'will' take you to court or that they 'may'? If you're able to scan it up without your personal information, that would be great.

If the guys ask, are you able to go back there and take photos of where you parked?

Also, if you type 'Napier Parking' into the Search CAG box in the red strip at the top of the screen, you can see other people's threads about the same parking company.

One last thing for now, the forum guys use a lot of abbreviations, it makes typing faster. Here's a link to the stikky with translations for you. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?168275-Posting-in-this-Forum-and-A-Z-of-Motoring-Terms

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you honeybee13.

The letter states that they intent to recover the costs from me.

They have also quoted some legislation being Schedule 4 of the protection of Freedoms Act 2012

and a landmark judgement on 04/11/15 where a parking company won a case.

Does this ring any bells with you and should I worry about these?

I will post a copy of the letter once I've figured out how to upload it.

I'm going to Milton Keynes on Saturday so will take some pictures of where is was then.

Many thanks.

As you've ignored this for some time you can only really continue to ignore now.

They will send you some more scary letters and even some from the next desk on declaring to be a scary Debt Collector.

In reality the Debt Collector letters are toilet paper and DCA's have no power over you at all.

It is worth providing the forum with the date of the parking and the date of the notice to keeper

(sent to the registered owner) to see if they have complied with POPLA.

The 'landmark case' is nonsense and has only bearing on circumstances that are identical to that case

so more meaningless threats.

what you must not ignore is a letter before action or a court summons,

it is unlikely but if that happens come back for the defence.

well,

they say that the time for appeals has lapsed and that it wrong

but it doesnt matter because they are IAS members.

However, if they do start legal action against you it can be used as a defence to get the court to throw the matter back in their lap for an "independent" adjudicator to look at so they will have just wasted their money on court fees etc.

The rest of the letter is actually compliant so the wording on the signage as you enter the car park then becomes critical, any other signage if different will help you show that there wasnt a contractual obligation created by the first sign.

Hi lainey, please edit your documents. Youve left personal info and reference numbers showing.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Name still showing on 2nd letter...upload unapproved.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread