Crown River Cruises Ltd refuses to provide itemized bill for drinks.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For my daughters 21st birthday we have arranged a boat party on Thames. We have agreed the price for the boat, food, entertainment and 1 glass of champagne We have also paid £500 for the drinks at the bar so the guests could order what they like. We informed the company that if the drinks will go above that amount our daughter will settle the balance. There were about 35 quests.

At the end of the party the company produced a bill on their headed paper for further £1131.50 which she had paid.

We thought that £1631.50 for 35 people drinking for 4 hours was rather excessive and asked the company to provide us with itemised bill to see what drinks were sold. This they have refused saying that there is no till receipts for the drinks. We asked how they could come up with this total if the drinks were not recorded in the till.

We were told that they only put the drinks through the till if customers are paying, So why we are not classed as paying customers if we had to settle this bill at the end.

We had no further response from them. I would very much appreciate for any advice how to go forward with this as we cannot think of any industry that will bill you without any details of what they are billing you for.

Tell them until their demand for payment is substantiated and you receive a full breakdown of the amount owing, you consider the matter closed and will not communicate further.

If they wanted to try court and collect it, even a judge would demand a breakdown, otherwise they could pluck any figure out of thin air.

Just as an aside as well, what does your contract state. verbatim

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Tell them until their demand for payment is substantiated and you receive a full breakdown of the amount owing, you consider the matter closed and will not communicate further.

If they wanted to try court and collect it, even a judge would demand a breakdown, otherwise they could pluck any figure out of thin air.

Just as an aside as well, what does your contract state. verbatim

The problem is my daughter already paid them at the end of the party with her card. We were not at the party so they took advantage of young girl who did not think to ask for an itemized bill.

Yes, that's what I gathered. But the money has been paid.

I think the question now is – by how far do you feel that what you should have paid may have been exceeded? I'm asking you this because knowing what the disputed value might be would then allow us to know whether it was worth making trouble for it.

What is the name of the company please? I don't think that it is at all acceptable that they should demand money without justifying the sum required.

How did she pay? Is there a way to chargeback the money?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Yes, that's what I gathered. But the money has been paid.

I think the question now is – by how far do you feel that what you should have paid may have been exceeded? I'm asking you this because knowing what the disputed value might be would then allow us to know whether it was worth making trouble for it.

What is the name of the company please? I don't think that it is at all acceptable that they should demand money without justifying the sum required.

Am I allow to say the name of the company? If that much was spend on drinks fair enough but we cannot understand how they came up with this total if no record of drinks ordered is available for all we know they could just add £500 or £800 to the bill.

Which company is it?

Also it would be helpful to answer my question as to the expected and actual value.

Which company is it?

Also it would be helpful to answer my question as to the expected and actual value.

The company is Crown River Cruises Ltd. We were told by the manager that £300 should be enough to cover the drinks, we thought it was rather too small amount and paid £500 towards the bar. We have no idea to the actual value.

This matter is more of a principal as nobody likes to be cheated in any way and as they cannot provide us with itemized bill that is how they made us feel.

£1631.50 for 35 people is an average of £46.61 per person. Over 4 hours that's £11.65 pp ph.

Assuming drinks are a fiver a pop that's two drinks an hour for a gang of 21 year olds.

I'd hate to speak out of turn so please forgive me but it seems you may have got off lightly...

• Confused 1

Whether or not it is good value, is neither here nor there.

I think that the refusal to justify the bill is unacceptable and frankly not keeping till receipts when they know that they will have to bill the customer is very poor practice, in my view.

What on earth would they have done if your daughter had been sensible and had refused to pay without sight of a proper bill?

The problem now of course is that the whole thing has bred distrust even if they have been acting perfectly honestly. If you now push them to justify the cost, it would be easy enough if they were not honest, to produce a bill which matches what they have asked you for. Because it is in a general ballpark of expected value (but only generally so), and because you would have difficulty producing any evidence, I think that you will have to let it go.

However, these people depend on their reputation for business and there are lots of review sites such as Trust Pilot where you can explain in a fair and balanced way what has happened.

I think you need to have a word with your daughter as well. I don't understand how people can get to 21 years of age and hand over that kind of money simply on somebody else's say-so.

Show her this thread if you want.

• Confused 1

I don't understand how people can get to 21 years of age and hand over that kind of money simply on somebody else's say-so.

Same as 50 year olds and over pay DCA's and PPC's. Its not age, just lack of knowledge.

Whether or not it is good value, is neither here nor there.

I think that the refusal to justify the bill is unacceptable and frankly not keeping till receipts when they know that they will have to bill the customer is very poor practice, in my view.

What on earth would they have done if your daughter had been sensible and had refused to pay without sight of a proper bill?

The problem now of course is that the whole thing has bred distrust even if they have been acting perfectly honestly. If you now push them to justify the cost, it would be easy enough if they were not honest, to produce a bill which matches what they have asked you for. Because it is in a general ballpark of expected value (but only generally so), and because you would have difficulty producing any evidence, I think that you will have to let it go.

However, these people depend on their reputation for business and there are lots of review sites such as Trust Pilot where you can explain in a fair and balanced way what has happened.

I think you need to have a word with your daughter as well. I don't understand how people can get to 21 years of age and hand over that kind of money simply on somebody else's say-so.

Show her this thread if you want.

Thank you so much for great advice. Lesson learned for her and us.