Money owed by a friend

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to give me some advice.

A couple of years ago I allowed a friend to order a PS3 from my catalogue and they received this without any problems. However she then started struggling to pay and I gave her leeway. A few occasions since I tried to get the money owed but it was one excuse after another and me being quite soft I let her off and tried to give her time.

Once she asked if I could pass her onto my catalogue and she could sort a payment plan out with them. However after speaking to my catalogue they said the account is in my name and I am responsible for the debt.

Over the last few days I have tried to ask her to pay again and she again said I should pass her to the catalogue. When I told her that it was paid off some time ago and she owes the money to me she said she wouldn't be paying me and I should have sorted this out years ago.

I was wondering where I said on this, obviously I have proof the PS3 was delivered to her address. Would I be able to raise a court action against her or something?

Thanks for reading this

Edited by thebloodster
Spelling

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to give me some advice.

A couple of years ago I allowed a friend to order a PS3 from my catalogue and they received this without any problems. However she then started struggling to pay and I gave her leeway. A few occasions since I tried to get the money owed but it was one excuse after another and me being quite soft I let her off and tried to give her time.

Once she asked if I could pass her onto my catalogue and she could sort a payment plan out with them. However after speaking to my catalogue they said the account is in my name and I am responsible for the debt.

Over the last few days I have tried to ask her to pay again and she again said I should pass her to the catalogue. When I told her that it was paid off some time ago and she owes the money to me she said she wouldn't be paying me and I should have sorted this out years ago.

I was wondering where I said on this, obviously I have proof the PS3 was delivered to her address. Would I be able to raise a court action against her or something?

Thanks for reading this

How long is "sorted out years ago". You have six years (for England & Wales) from when your cause of action arose in which to commence court action.

Would you take it to court?. If you took it to court and win would you be able to recover anything? (is it "won't pay" or "can't pay"?)

Legally, I suppose you could raise a small claim against her on the basis of a verbal agreement to pay for the PS3.

The difficulty is that it doesn't sound like you have anything in writing. You would have to persuade the judge that, on a balance of probabilities, it is more likely than not that she agreed to repay you. Your evidence would be what you say in your claim, her defence and the fact the PS3 was delivered to her address.

I'm assuming the PS3 was ordered less than 6 years ago. If it was 6 years ago or more, you might be too late to make a claim now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Legally, I suppose you could raise a small claim against her on the basis of a verbal agreement to pay for the PS3.

The difficulty is that it doesn't sound like you have anything in writing. You would have to persuade the judge that, on a balance of probabilities, it is more likely than not that she agreed to repay you. Your evidence would be what you say in your claim, her defence and the fact the PS3 was delivered to her address.

I'm assuming the PS3 was ordered less than 6 years ago. If it was 6 years ago or more, you might be too late to make a claim now.

6 years from purchase, or 6 years from when she defaulted on payment?.

One of the issues is that if there was no firm agreement regarding payment, when did she default / if there was no specific agreement has she defaulted?.

(If the agreement was "pay you back when she can", she could argue she hasn't reached the point where she can yet!)

6 years from purchase, or 6 years from when she defaulted on payment?.

One of the issues is that if there was no firm agreement regarding payment, when did she default / if there was no specific agreement has she defaulted?.

(If the agreement was "pay you back when she can", she could argue she hasn't reached the point where she can yet!)

There is a bit of old case law which says that loans without a fixed repayment date are repayable on demand and, therefore, the limitation period begins to run from the first day on which a demand for repayment is made.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks for all the comments.

I will have to check my records when it was ordered but the thing is she has sent messages on Facebook saying she would pay the catalogue but not me so that is her admitting liability isn't it. She said again that I should tell the catalogue to contact her so she can setup a payment plan with them so she is able to pay.

Not really sure when it was I'd say its about 4 or 5 years now.

She paid £50.

Send her a (LBA) letter before action, explaining how the amount has occurred and that you believe she is responsible for this less any amount she has paid. Ask her to agree a payment plan and make it clear that unless an arrangement can be made, then you will not hesitate to issue proceedings through small claims..

Thanks for all the comments.

I will have to check my records when it was ordered but the thing is she has sent messages on Facebook saying she would pay the catalogue but not me so that is her admitting liability isn't it. She said again that I should tell the catalogue to contact her so she can setup a payment plan with them so she is able to pay.

Not really sure when it was I'd say its about 4 or 5 years now.

She paid £50.

Yes, she has admitted liability and also made payment of £50.00. Have you saved the messages / printed them off ?

You might well find that once you have sent an LBA and then a court claim form, your "friend" might well have a change of heart and pay up. Any suggestion from them that they will pay in installments should I think this time round be committed to paper with a signature.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D