Help please. I have been a victim of fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Today I became the victim of a mobile phone fraud.

A reputable courier delivered a package to me.

When I opened it, there was a new Apple iPhone and a sim card in there that I didn't order.

It had been sent from E 2 Save mobile (a subsidiary company of the Carphone Warehouse)

so I decided to call them to inform them of their error.

The operative said his name was Mohammad and asked me for the 'customer lead' number,

which I gave him from the invoice that was in the package.

He then started to quiz me on personal details saying that he couldn't arrange a return

unless I told him things like 'who I bank with'.

Of course, I refused and he said that he was trying to help me.

My answer was that he was wrong, I was trying to help him!

in the end he said that he would be able to get it picked up by DPD,

the company that delivered the phone in the first place.

This is a company I use often and know how they work.

Ok I said.

Then I got a text message saying that DPD would pick the phone up between 9:00 and 17:00 tomorrow.

DPD always give you a time within an hour slot.

After this I got very suspicious and called my bank to let them know what had happened.

They checked everything on my accounts and there was nothing untoward.

Then I checked my credit file to find four searched on the date of the invoice that turned up in the package,

all from communication providers.

The invoice says that 1p was paid at the point of sale with a visa card.

My credit cards are all with Master Card, but my debit cards are Visa.

Worry tends to make the smallest thing throw the largest shadow - Swedish Proverb

Bizarre !

Has someone you know bought you this phone and had it delivered to your address ?

Is your name and address stated on the invoice ?

If you never entered into a contract and DPD collect it tomorrow,

i would suggest that you let them collect it,

but insist on getting a written note from the driver that they collected the package.

keep a photocopy of the invoice if you can,

just in case you ever received any communications.

In fact it would be best if you send a letter to E2 advising what happened,

with confirmation that their unsolicited package has been returned.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

from what I understand of these issues

it appears your visa debit card might have been compromised?

someone has its number,

is it a card with a little Wi-Fi symbol on it for faster payment?

you say your bank found no trace of the 1p verification payment?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No it's not a contactless card and the bank couldn't find any trace of the 1p payment. But the searches on my credit file suggest something a bit more sinister in my opinion.

Worry tends to make the smallest thing throw the largest shadow - Swedish Proverb

urm..

totally agree

have you moved in recent times?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, I've been at the same address for the last 24 years. They would need to have had my date of birth wouldn't they? For a credit search?

No, I've been at the same address for the last 24 years. They would need to have had my date of birth wouldn't they? For a credit search?

I think name and address is enough for a search on a credit record.

What type of search on your credit record ?

Might seem a strange question, but have you entered into any competitions where this phone could be a prize ? Or could it be a gift from someone or a company ? They would do a soft search on your credit record to just check that a Jonny J lived at your address.

I raise this point, as the Ipad i am using was a corporate gift and the invoice i received i am sure stated it was paid by card for a token 1p. They obviously don't sell a phone for 1p as that would not be fraud. If it was a contract phone, they would have sent the contract details with the phone.

It would be a daft fraud to send out phones to people at random, as they could notify companies of an unsolicited gift being received and say if not collected with say 1 month that it would be kept as a free gift.

You have not been charged for this phone and as far as you are aware have not been entered into any contract. Therefore I don't know where there is any fraud issue.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

No, no competitions.

Apparently the fraud is that someone orders a mobile phone in your name and then calls to say that it was a mistake and the courier will collect it.

The next day, someone comes to collect it posing as the courier and you are left with the contract (which is pay monthly) and the bill for a £600 phone.

I tried to arrange for it to be collected, but got a text to the effect that DPD would collect it. I Googled the number that the text came from and there was some very suspicious activity reported from that number pertaining to all sorts of parcel collections where people didn't have, or never have had the item in the first place.

I have just spoken to O2 who confirmed that this is definitely fraud. They have barred the sim card and the handset.

Now I just need to sort out the identity theft issue.

I wonder whether your local Police are interested, given that someone will arrive today at your house to collect the phone as part of a fraud. Call them on their local number to check.

Re the identity theft issue, have you completed any info online recently, where you were not 100% sure it was a legitimate company requesting the information.

Just made a report to 'Action Fraud' who say that social media is to blame for the vast majority of this type of fraud. She said that because people have their birthdays on there, it is very easy for people to make credit applications. The next port of call for fraudsters it the electoral register, a small fee can get you everything you need by all accounts. With regard to the Police, I will try to get hold of them, but spent nearly 1 1/2 hours trying that last night to no avail.

Did 02 suggest what you did with the phone ?

I guess you are not going to answer the door to any courier service, unless it is the one you know is officially contracted by the phone company to collect it.

They said that their fraud department would tell me what to do with it. Its been blocked now anyway so its no good to me. She asked if there was an O2 shop near to me, so I guess I will have to take it there and get a receipt for it. If anyone comes to the door I'll get photos of them and their vehicle.