• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

arriva trains wales .lied about boarding station with no ticket . Advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there , yesterday on the 1/07/2016 , i boarded a train from llansamlet to Cardiff , there was no conductor on the train ,

as I arrived in Cardiff I had to go to the unpaid fair's desk , as I was there about to buy my ticket I had a stupid moment of madness and told the guy at the ticket office that I boarded on Bridgend but he caught me out by saying that there were ticket tolls at Bridgend and I completely froze ,

I then got taken by a transport investigations officer she gave me a quick interview and asked me questions in regards to what just happened , I told her I was sorry and that it was a stupid thing to do and I even offered to pay for the fair there and then but she said no because the repercussions of this will be a lot more ' hefty' .

The lady told me that I would receive a letter which I must respond to giving my side of the story , I have seen many posts where people have been summoned to court . Has anyone got any advice for me when I respond to this letter in what I should say or do should I attach a payment invoice covering the fair and the admin fee ? ,

I have a feeling cause I lied to them they are going to take me to court no matter what I say . If I do go to court what would the outcome be ?

I have never had an encounter in this manner with the Arriva trains wales before this is the first time I have done something like this . I have encountered with the police for something silly in December which I had a fine for will that effects me if this goes to court ?

I was really idiotic to even lie about where I boarded and it is something that I would not do again . If anyone can help me out and advise me I would greatly appreciate it .

Thanks

Shaun

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there , where would i find the link ?

I left a redirect in the Welcome forum, but as you're posting on the thread, you must have found it. :)

Here's a link in case you need it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?466555-Transport-Investigations-issue-arriva-trains-wales-..-Advice-needed&p=4918722#post4918722

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

you might have seen many posts where people get summons

but very few where it actually happens.

as its settled out side of court with no lasting issues

silly mistake, but that's all it is

await the letter

and stop panicking.

nothing to really worry about.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I agree with dx, wait for the letter and then write back truthfully. You don't enclose money, you need to see what they think of your letter.

Let us know when it arrives and we'll give you some ideas of what you can say in your letter.

HB

Hi everybody .

I have had my letter from TIL .

They have stated in the letter that there is sufficient evidence to prosecute

either under the railway bylaws 2005 or the regulation of railways act 1889 .

After reading through the letters my offence comes under the regulation of railways act ,

it even says a term of imprisonment and that is something that I don't want .

This is the first time I have ever done anything like this

what could be the possible outcome of all this ,

i did try and pay a shorter fare it was just a complete moment of madness that i regret ,

can anyone help me with a response please as I am going into slight panic here !!

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hello there.

No need to panic, let's take this slowly. :)

Is this the first letter from Arriva trains, asking for your version of what happened please? And are you able to scan it up or type it for us, leaving out any personal details?

HB

Hi there , this is what the letter states ...

The report of this incident indicates that sufficient evidence does exist to warrant a prosecution in accordance with the current legislation.

This file is presently with our prosecutions team who are considering whether to issue a summons for the inclusion in forthcoming Magistrates Courts list. These considerations may include whether any charge should allege an offence against Railyway Byelaws (2005) or , The Regulation of Railways Act 1889.

In any successful prosecution, we will ask the Magistrates to award the costs and compensation in favour of the rail company. This will be in addition to any fine that the Magistrates seek to impose.

If I do not receive any written representation from you within 21 days of the date of this letter , a Summons to a magistrates court hearing may be issued without further notice to you.

Does anyone know which is the best way to reply to this letter ? I know i deliberately avoided paying the full train fare by stating i came from a shorter stop . I did admit to the investigating officer that i was silly and i also did offer to pay the full fare at the time . If this does go to court what would the outcome be anyone have an idea ?

Thank you for this.

So now you need to write a letter explaining why you did what you did. As we always say, be honest and if it's true, say it was a momentary lapse of judgement. Express sincere remorse if that's how you feel and ask if they will allow you to reach an administrative settlement with them. This is an out of court settlement.

Edit: also add that you promise always to have a valid ticket in future.

If you want to put something together, we can help you to refine it, but it needs to be in your words. Try to keep to the point and don't waffle. :)

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Addition.

excellent advise above from HB.

keep your letter very short and brief

and donr worry about prison ands silly stuff like that

doesn't apply to you

all you have their is a std template letter they send to everyone

no matter if its £1 or £10,000 involved.

should be easy to get an out of court settlement without anything bad going forward to spoil your employment etc etc

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi there everybody . Below is the letter i am going to send to TIL .. is this okay . Thanks

Dear Sir/Madam

TIL Reference: TIL : ,,,,,,

I am writing to you in response to your letter regarding the incident that occurred on 01/07/2016 in connection to a journey that was made between Llansamlet and Cardiff Central for which unfortunately I had not shown a valid ticket.

I would firstly like to profusely apologise for my actions, which I deeply regret, I had not previously planned to travel without a ticket and this was an embarrassing mistake that I had not indented on making.

My decision was extremely foolish and disrespectful to current legislation and my behaviour was out of character, as I believe myself to be a hard working and responsible young man who holds respect for regulations. I have travelled regularly by train for many years and have never disregarded regulations in the past and I do not intend to repeat the foolish mistake of doing so in the future.

I would like to apologise for my offence and kindly ask you to consider reviewing my case, I have thoroughly read the information you have provided in relation to my responsibilities when I travel by rail and important information regarding National Railways Byelaws (2005) and the regulation of railways act (1989).

I am an upstanding and respectful member of my community and I did not intend on causing an offence, I deeply regret my behaviour and actions I would like to again apologise for this and ask you to consider my sincere apology.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Shaun William Artis

If you don't mind me offering a slightly critical note. You don't actually state why you did not have a ticket for the journey. You just say it was a mistake. If i were reading this letter i would iterpret it as saying your mistake was being caught. No mention of how you ended up on a train without paying. E.g forgot to pick up wallet, so had no money.

If this is a regular journey you take, do you have evidence of buying tickets for previous journeys ? If so, you might want to provide this evidence, so they can see you normally pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It was a silly mistake and plain stupidity.I basically tried to say i got off at Bridgend so that I could have a cheaper train fare.I don't regularly make this journey as it was a one off.Thanks for the advice , How do you think i should apply that within the letter ?

It was a silly mistake and plain stupidity.I basically tried to say i got off at Bridgend so that I could have a cheaper train fare.I don't regularly make this journey as it was a one off.Thanks for the advice , How do you think i should apply that within the letter ?

So you had a confused mind or was not feeling well ?

If you don't normally act like this, there must be a reason ?

Your letter sounds like you regret being caught and you have found a letter online which tries to explain away your action quoting various. I think you need to explain that you don't normally use tbe train and it was a one off journey. You were tired, confused, feeling unwell and made a mistake ( whatever explains your actions).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

and offer to pay any reasonable admin fees and equivalent sums to a fine to avoid

possible employment etc issue were you to get a conviction

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody ,

i have had a response from Transport Investigations please find the letter attached i have taken a picture.

Iit looks like they will take me to court for the incident ,

i know every case is different but does anyone know what the outcomes are when you go to court ?

Like how much the fine is etc?

In slight panic mode at the moment ,

i am not to sure but can anyone tell me what act they intend to prosecute me under ,

should i write back to them and ask them to consider my case again ?

I have been caught bang to rights so not sure if it is worth it .

arriva response.pdf

Edited by dx100uk
attachment redacted & converted to pdf - dx

read it carefully it says may numerous times not will anywhere...

the act is listed in the title and the body of the letter too.

what that letter actually says is your grovelling letter was not good enough.

try again.

and they

I thought i grovelled pretty well in my previous response to them. Any tips on how i should reply this time ? I am a student at the moment and would struggle to pay a hefty fine , what would be the outcome of i do go to court? This is my first offense in regards to any transport issue

At this stage you will be looking at £500+ fine plus criminal record if you choose court or an admin fee between £100 - £200.

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

At this stage you will be looking at £500+ fine plus criminal record if you choose court or an admin fee between £100 - £200.

What £500 even though i am a unemployed student ? In my second letter should i offer a amount as an out of court settlement?

no you don't specify an amount

simply that you wish to resolve the matter by an out of court settlement

meeting any reasonable admin fees and equiv fines

should the matter had gone to court.

dx

and they

no you don't specify an amount

simply that you wish to resolve the matter by an out of court settlement

meeting any reasonable admin fees and equiv fines

should the matter had gone to court.

dx

A question comes to mind.

Do they operate differently in Wales to London/south east England ?

In London they might accept the administrative fee route as a way to resolve these matters, as they have too many cases to deal with, not enough staff and court time available to prosecute. But in Wales i should imagine they have far fewer cases to manage and they might prosecute 99% of the fare evasions detected. Therefore unless there are very good reasons for not buying a ticket, which would be broken ticket machines, no ticket shop open at departing station, guard on train not accepting payment etc, then i should imagine they would just prosecute.

While the OP can ask for a admin fee resolution and ask not to be prosecuted, if they have valid reasons why they could not buy a ticket they should concentrate on that.

To add to what dx and UB have said, I believe what the TOCs are looking for is genuine remorse and a change in behaviour in the future.

Edit: I found this from Old-CodJA on another thread, post #50.

'Offer to pay any fares due and all of the reasonable costs that company have incurred in dealing with your actions and ask if this can be accepted as an alternative to Court action.

The company do not have to agree, but might choose to do so.'

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?462876-Govia-Notice-Of-Intention-to-Prosecute-**RESOLVED-OUT-OF-COURT**&p=4891950#post4891950

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Addition.

While the OP can ask for a admin fee resolution and ask not to be prosecuted, if they have valid reasons why they could not buy a ticket they should concentrate on that.

They shouldn't concentrate on that.

Whatever reasons they had not to have bought a ticket up to that point can be viewed as irrelevant by the TOC, as, even if no offence had been committed prior to that point, the offence was made out when they lied about their starting station in an attempt to pay a "short fare".

The OP may have been able to claim any of the protections within Bylaw 18 (so if there were no ticket facilities at the first station, they'd approached the on train staff and their ticket machine wasn't working and they'd said "OK to pay at destination"), and by offering a short fare they'd still have committed the offence, even if they had a (Bylaw 18) cast-iron defence up until that point.