Caught shoplifting in Sainsbury's (fraud too) Northern Ireland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there folks. Im new to this forum and in dire need of some support.

Im a guy in my mid 30s.

Around 10 months ago, I seperated from my partner of 11 years and 3 kids.

I've been going through a hard and very emotional time and the doctor has prescribed me with anti-depressants to help me to deal with anxiety and some bad thoughts but have recently been turning a bit of a corner I feel.

I spent 8 months living with some relatives and the kids were coming to stay with me.

Needless to say that this was the hardest time I've ever went through in my life.

I bought a house in the last few months and have been starting from scratch

and have been struggling financially of late.

This is not to excuse my behaviour but I'm adding it as information so that if any of you do find the time to respond that you might be able to give a more informed piece of advice.

I went to Sainsburys where I live in Northern Ireland and purchased some items that I meeded for the kids' beds.

I returned the day after, lifted the same items off the shelves and brought them back to customer services and got a refund for them.

This is the first fraudulent action.

I returned yesterday and did the same this time with a different item.

Both items together came to about £50.

On the dame visit i also lifted some other smaller items totalling about £35.

As I left the store, the security guard ran after me and brought me into a room.

They told me that they had been watching me and asked had I done this before.

I was honest and told them that I had (the first occasion).

I asked to just pay for the stuff but they told me that it was at the discretion of the manager.

He came down and I told him my situation and offered to pay in full and he refused to accept that and phoned the police.

The police arrived and took statements from the manager and the security guards

and then took me to a police car where they took a statement from me. I was very upset naturally.

The police then said that they would send the file off to the Public Prosecuation Service

who will then decide to prosecute or give a caution.

I have a completely clean criminal record and this genuinely is out of character for me.

I also work with children and I am so afraid that I will lose my job because if my actions.

Can anyone give any advice about what I can do now or what may happen to me?

Please don't judge me on this. I feel ashamed and that I have let my family down.

I appreciate all of the support you can offer.

Thank you.

Edited by honeybee13
Unwanted word removed.

you've just gotta wait and see if the PPS do anything

quite honestly I doubt it.

just watchout for silly letter from a lot called DWF

you TOTALLY ignore them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome to CAG

We do not judge. We deal with the situation as is.

I cannot say what will happen regarding the police. As they are involved it is likely this event will be placed on their database, even if they take no action. You have enough mitigating circumstances to explain why you did it but that may fall on deaf ears. It's a case of wait and see.

Working with children. I'm afraid I cannot say what will happen there. Your employer may need to know. I don't know enough on NI law and disclosure but I would think it is broadly similar to England. If they do DBS checks (or the equivalent) it may show up. Wait for other advice on thbis.

If you get any letters demanding compensation from a firm called DWF, ignore them for now. You have enough on your plate.

As you are on 'happy pills' it may be worth visiting your GP and ask for counselling. I would do this before the prosecutors decide what to do as this will be seen as being pro active in explaining your actions.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks very much for the messages. I really really appreciate them.

Just to update,

I got on to a solicitor who is contacting the police officer to explain the circumstances

with the hope that he uses his discretion to issue a caution only.

Really have learned a horrible lesson and never want to feel like this again.

You say that you have seen your GP and have been prescribed anti depressants - have you asked to speak with a counsellor to help you get through this trying time ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi.

I had an awful night last night but good support from family today.

I have an appointment for the GP on Wednesday and thats my intention (to ask for counselling).

Thanks for the concern and the support.

To update,

I got in touch with a solicitor and he called the police officer and made representation on my behalf explaining my circumstances.

They agreed between them that I would receive a caution and that it would remain for 5 years.

Its the best possible outcome and my lesson is well and truly learned.

Im so thabkful for all of your advice and concern and I will get better for me and for my kids.

Hi.

I had an awful night last night but good support from family today.

I have an appointment for the GP on Wednesday and thats my intention (to ask for counselling).

Thanks for the concern and the support.

To update,

I got in touch with a solicitor and he called the police officer and made representation on my behalf explaining my circumstances.

They agreed between them that I would receive a caution and that it would remain for 5 years.

Its the best possible outcome and my lesson is well and truly learned.

Im so thabkful for all of your advice and concern and I will get better for me and for my kids.

Pleased to hear that you have a reasonable outcome - good luck with the counselling - I hope you can now turn your life round.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I received a police caution for shoplifting last month during a difficult period in my life. Needless to sat that my lesson has been well learned.

I received a letter from DWF telling me that I owed £150 for security costs (£0 for recovered items etc). I think I read somewhere here before to ignore these letters. I havent paid this and received a reminder a few days ago.

Can someone advise as to whether or not I should pay this company? If not, what are the reasons?

Thanks in advance, folks.

If you read other threads about such letters requesting money, is that there is no legal basis for them to enforce this. You have not entered into any contract to pay DWF £150 or the store in relation to a shoplifting incident.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They have suffered no loss if goods recovered, so as per UB ignore.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Hi

I have merged the two threads to ensure continuity. Please stick to one thread even though Sainsbugs and DWF are separate entities.

We don't hear much from DWF on here. Either people who get letters from them don't find CAG or security at sainsburys is rubbish.

Much of the advice here is aimed at RLP but the advice is exactly the same. Ignore! I have yet to hear where DWF have taken any action on behalf of Sainsburys as they are solicitors.

The fact DWF are solicitors makes no difference. RLP have solicitors on their books and they don't take action.

You will get quite a few letters but if you stay strong, they will end.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE