Union Rep and training

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Random question,

My union rep who has been representing me on and off for years has just told me he has never been on any training courses and has just picked it up as he has gone along. I thought that there was initial training which they should go on before they should represent a member.

Anybody any experience with this?

Cheers

Dex

Have you been paying for the service?

I don't mean your usual union dues.

If it is a free service then he doesn't have to have had any training.

The Courts recognises that so they don't punish you for errors made by unskilled advisers.

That is a harsh criticism

If the local rep does not know the answer to a question or is unsure he will contact his Branch Office. That way an Area Rep will attend and advise who is Qualified

If a Certificated Trade Union rep gives bad advice, he might not get sued but the Trade Union can

Edited by obiter dictum

That is a harsh criticism

I didn't criticise him, I just answered his question to the best of my ability.

I don't think he takes my comment as criticism.

Except you were not referring to me then I apologise.

there is no duty of care from a lay rep to a member so not training is required.

In my time as a union rep and safety rep I went on a number of courses aimed at new reps, those negotiating, those involved in change procedures, communications and obviously safety reps courses. Most of what you learn is common sense as far as procedures to follow, some union branches are quicker to call in the full time officers than others, a lot depends on whether it is an open branch covering a large geographical area or a closed branch with one employer such as a hospital. Generally in the latter case it is easy to raise the matter at the next level fairly quicky if the rep is out of their depth. All you would need to know is who is the branch secretary and take it to them.

Hi again

Hope it wasn't perceived I was criticising my union rep, he has been a real rock.

He even came with me to a meeting to discuss an issue where I felt I was being discriminated against at by management and he intervened. It was only after when I asked what training he had to cope with awkward situations like the one we had just been in that he said he had not had any training just picked it up as he went along.

I really believe I would have been hounded out of work a long time ago if it hadn't been for the union.

I'm unfortunately at the point of deciding whether to lodge at ET1 and he is still helping me along with assistance from a area rep.

Cheers

Dex